UConn's Toughest Regular Season Opponent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's Toughest Regular Season Opponent

Who will be UConn's toughest opponent this year?

• NC State

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Maryland

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Texas

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Louisville

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 49 29.7%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 92 55.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to that matchup. As a Texas fan I hope we continue to play UConn every year in non-conference. The Huskies will always let you know whether you've got a squad or not. Much respect for Geno, his staff, and the program they've built over the past three decades. In my mind they are STILL the gold standard that everyone want to meet. Good luck to you guys this coming season!
To Texas as well, except when you play UConn of course. I like teams coached by Vic, still upset with the way the Miss St semi final game went, but he is a great coach.

Reaction Score
Almost chose other, for LSU. Might be interesting.
I argee. I don't like Mulkey, she's a phony, a constant complainer, and she wins. Her schedule is a PLAN for success, her talent is "imported"--in another world, some would say she's smart! I should like her, but I can't.
S.C. is living on Boston's rep. Let us see what they do without her. Especially against this HEALTHY UConn team.

Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to that matchup. As a Texas fan I hope we continue to play UConn every year in non-conference. The Huskies will always let you know whether you've got a squad or not. Much respect for Geno, his staff, and the program they've built over the past three decades. In my mind they are STILL the gold standard that everyone want to meet. Good luck to you guys this coming season!
The wonderful thing about basketball is: The game must be played to win it. Once REP for Uconn with lessor teams, softened up opponents. After the Virus, the injuries, the graduation of talent many believe they can beat Geno. We'll see!

Reaction Score
To Texas as well, except when you play UConn of course. I like teams coached by Vic, still upset with the way the Miss St semi final game went, but he is a great coach.
Great! I too felt the Miss St game loss. I like VIC, once I saw him a potential for Uconn, not so much now. That loss, was an honorable win and loss--I didn't originally think so. They beat a good Uconn team fairly and squarely, who could ask for more?

Reaction Score
I argee. I don't like Mulkey, she's a phony, a constant complainer, and she wins. Her schedule is a PLAN for success, her talent is "imported"--in another world, some would say she's smart! I should like her, but I can't.
S.C. is living on Boston's rep. Let us see what they do without her. Especially against this HEALTHY UConn team.
On the S.C front, I'm a little torn. I'm with you in that I don't think it's as easy as "We got Cardoso playing big minutes now" to fill the Boston void. Boston's WNBA numbers (basically 15 and 8 plus a block and a steal a game) as a 22 yr old that had another season of eligibility, tells you how special she is/was. She's an offense, and a defensive anchor by herself. In the semifinals, as well as Cardoso played, she still had some issues with the screen and role vs Iowa. So I think to be high on SC, you have to be high on their depth chart (1-8) and they're not as proven. Like, if we are doing which team has the best player in this poll granted, I think South Carolina may be 3rd. However if we are just matching up teams across the country, there may be 10 plus teams who's top player is better than SC's top player. I know bball is a team game, but then I look at last year tourney, and just many tournament runs, and it often comes down to who is the best player on the court. On the other had, in terms of the respect SC gets (the poll bears this out currently) I think it's because SC is kinda on a decade run. They've only lost more than 5 games in two seasons over the past 10 years. So they are a program that can lose a player and bounce back, although one of those high loss seasons came after losing Wilson.

Reaction Score
Great! I too felt the Miss St game loss. I like VIC, once I saw him a potential for Uconn, not so much now. That loss, was an honorable win and loss--I didn't originally think so. They beat a good Uconn team fairly and squarely, who could ask for more?
I think Vic is a top 5 coach! As far as replacing Geno, my vote would be Shea Ralph/ Carla Berube. However, If Vic were 20-25 years younger, there would be a third name there. I think he’s as good as there is to be had right now, smart, classy, firmly in charge, great basketball mind. Unfortunately, he’s already lost the Father Time aspect against those other two. He likely would not leave Texas anyway. I get the sense he’s pretty happy there!
Meanwhile, back on planet earth, Geno is looking happy, spry, and is on a virtually unprecedented recruiting spree! Here’s hoping for long life (regular and coaching) and happiness for our beloved and greatly appreciated resident basketball genius! Long may he run!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think Vic is a top 5 coach! As far as replacing Geno, my vote would be Shea Ralph/ Carla Berube. However, If Vic were 20-25 years younger, there would be a third name there. I think he’s as good as there is to be had right now, smart, classy, firmly in charge, great basketball mind. Unfortunately, he’s already lost the Father Time aspect against those other two. He likely would not leave Texas anyway. I get the sense he’s pretty happy there!
Meanwhile, back on planet earth, Geno is looking happy, spry, and is on a virtually unprecedented recruiting spree! Here’s hoping for long life (regular and coaching) and happiness for our beloved and greatly appreciated resident basketball genius! Long may he run!
Why would he leave Texas to go to UConn. If he left Texas he would have to get at least a 25% raise, if not more just to make up for what he would have to pay in Connecticut State taxes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Why would he leave Texas to go to UConn. If he left Texas he would have to get at least a 25% raise, if not more just to make up for what he would have to pay in Connecticut State taxes.
Agreed. The ONLY reason Vic left MSU was to back to Texas (the state, not necessarily the University). He always considered leaving Texas a temporary thing.

Reaction Score
For me, Notre Dame, followed closely by Texas and then South Carolina, seem like the toughest regular season matchups. A lot just depends on how healthy players are and for South Carolina, if they have figured out how to shoot the ball better.

Reaction Score
South Carolina. ND will have a solid team. Even without Miles, Hidalgo looks pretty promising. If Miles is healthy, they might have the second best backcourt after us?

However we play ND at home. And South Carolina has a crucial element that ND is lacking - they have Dawn Staley. I don’t see South Carolina faltering too far from where they were last year honestly. They will be tough with Cardoso.

Some other teams on here will be strong as well. Looking forward to all these games.

SCar's weakness has always been their scoring. Staley had great defensive teams in Stewarts years but they couldn't keep up with UConn's scoring. That's what happened against Iowa, only it was a lot closer. UConn's edge vs SCar has always been their backcourt and UConn has a pretty good one. Bueckers made mincemeat out of Cook as a freshman. Add Fudd and Muhl.
The game's at SCar. Should be a packed house. All the pressure will be on SCar. Bueckers loves these games. I'd bet UConn to win. By Jan I'll be able to say by how many. Same for NDame. That game is all about Miles. I want UConn to beat a 100% ND team. Miles is one of my non--UConn favorites.

Reaction Score
Front line depth and physical play is a major concern. The script since the last time UConn won a Title is to force us to be a jump shooting team by being physical. That's how you beat UConn. Unfortunately, I don't think that' dynamic has changed. Losing Jana was a major blow to inside depth. AE is the only proven post player right now.

UConn's jump shooting is a lot better. Iowa showed us SCar's weakness. Deny SCar transition pts. Force them to score in the half court, make enough 3's to keep it close until the end, then hope you score last.

Reaction Score
Can uconn defend ucla guards? will uconn double team betts?

Yes & no/maybe

Let Betts get 25/15 . Bueckers - 6' Fudd- 5'11. They will dominate smaller guards shooting over them.
UCLA might be a better team in April if they stay healthy and Betts lives up to her rep.

Reaction Score
I’m going with UNC!! With Ceira T going to unc was a player I really wanted to see at UConn. A lot of talent returning and loads of depth. I think they have 5 that are 6’4. We will struggle against tall teams. Losing Jana will come back to bite this team. Unproven bigs. Amari has had 2 seasons and has done nothing impressive. Ice hasn’t even played one single college game. This team will struggle. Sadly I think Caroline’s basketball career will never be the same with all her head injures. Paige coming off 2 back to back serious knee injuries… freshmen are freshmen, Patterson didn’t have any impact season last year .. only players we can rely on is A. Edwards, Nika, Aubrey and Azzi. Everyone else is a unknown. If we stay healthy all season and get a whole new Amari and the freshmen adapt and make contributions this team can get back the the final four. Once u get there it’s anyone’s chance!! Not trying to be a Debbie downer but just speaking facts and reality at this point. As of now if LSU doesn’t have any major injuries to there star players it’s LSU title to lose!! They will be the most talented team in the nation!! I hate saying that cause I can’t stand Mulky cause she constantly dodges any completion and continues to schedule high school, junior college type teams. But the NCAA committee continues to get rewarded when UConn constantly schedules the toughest non conference in the country and it’s not even close and the NCAA continues to punish them. I believe the SEC is overrated. SC, LSU and Tennessee and everyone else!! I like the big East, yes DePaul will be horrible with all the transfers, but Marquette, Creighton, Villanova , even St. John’s can compete with anyone. The big East is stronger because of UConn. They make everyone better. Sadly with no contact with ESPN they continue to disrespect UConn year in and year out!! Tired of all the hatred towards the Big East!!!

Reaction Score
Yes & no/maybe

Let Betts get 25/15 . Bueckers - 6' Fudd- 5'11. They will dominate smaller guards shooting over them.
UCLA might be a better team in April if they stay healthy and Betts lives up to her rep.
I don't know about that because I haven't seen Fudd or buckets play great defense against shifty guards

Reaction Score
I’m going with UNC!! With Ceira T going to unc was a player I really wanted to see at UConn. A lot of talent returning and loads of depth. I think they have 5 that are 6’4. We will struggle against tall teams. Losing Jana will come back to bite this team. Unproven bigs. Amari has had 2 seasons and has done nothing impressive. Ice hasn’t even played one single college game. This team will struggle. Sadly I think Caroline’s basketball career will never be the same with all her head injures. Paige coming off 2 back to back serious knee injuries… freshmen are freshmen, Patterson didn’t have any impact season last year .. only players we can rely on is A. Edwards, Nika, Aubrey and Azzi. Everyone else is a unknown. If we stay healthy all season and get a whole new Amari and the freshmen adapt and make contributions this team can get back the the final four. Once u get there it’s anyone’s chance!! Not trying to be a Debbie downer but just speaking facts and reality at this point. As of now if LSU doesn’t have any major injuries to there star players it’s LSU title to lose!! They will be the most talented team in the nation!! I hate saying that cause I can’t stand Mulky cause she constantly dodges any completion and continues to schedule high school, junior college type teams. But the NCAA committee continues to get rewarded when UConn constantly schedules the toughest non conference in the country and it’s not even close and the NCAA continues to punish them. I believe the SEC is overrated. SC, LSU and Tennessee and everyone else!! I like the big East, yes DePaul will be horrible with all the transfers, but Marquette, Creighton, Villanova , even St. John’s can compete with anyone. The big East is stronger because of UConn. They make everyone better. Sadly with no contact with ESPN they continue to disrespect UConn year in and year out!! Tired of all the hatred towards the Big East!!!

You're def being a debbi downer. Also, please explain how ESPN disrepects UCONN. I've asked this question a few times, and no one has answered me

Reaction Score
UConn's jump shooting is a lot better. Iowa showed us SCar's weakness. Deny SCar transition pts. Force them to score in the half court, make enough 3's to keep it close until the end, then hope you score last.
sounds like 2021 SCar at UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that because I haven't seen Fudd or buckets play great defense against shifty guards

You sound like the people who said UConn couldn't guard Jordan Canada. It isn't a one-on-one or two-on-two game. Over the years UCLA has had a lot of great players and Close allows a lot of individual play and I think that attracts some very talented players.

UConn's team concepts have always done well against them.

Reaction Score
I’m going with UNC!! With Ceira T going to unc was a player I really wanted to see at UConn. A lot of talent returning and loads of depth. I think they have 5 that are 6’4. We will struggle against tall teams. Losing Jana will come back to bite this team. Unproven bigs. Amari has had 2 seasons and has done nothing impressive. Ice hasn’t even played one single college game. This team will struggle. Sadly I think Caroline’s basketball career will never be the same with all her head injures. Paige coming off 2 back to back serious knee injuries… freshmen are freshmen, Patterson didn’t have any impact season last year .. only players we can rely on is A. Edwards, Nika, Aubrey and Azzi. Everyone else is an unknown. If we stay healthy all season and get a whole new Amari and the freshmen adapt and make contributions this team can get back the the final four. Once u get there it’s anyone’s chance!! Not trying to be a Debbie downer but just speaking facts and reality at this point. As of now if LSU doesn’t have any major injuries to there star players it’s LSU title to lose!! They will be the most talented team in the nation!! I hate saying that cause I can’t stand Mulky cause she constantly dodges any completion and continues to schedule high school, junior college type teams. But the NCAA committee continues to get rewarded when UConn constantly schedules the toughest non conference in the country and it’s not even close and the NCAA continues to punish them. I believe the SEC is overrated. SC, LSU and Tennessee and everyone else!! I like the big East, yes DePaul will be horrible with all the transfers, but Marquette, Creighton, Villanova , even St. John’s can compete with anyone. The big East is stronger because of UConn. They make everyone better. Sadly with no contact with ESPN they continue to disrespect UConn year in and year out!! Tired of all the hatred towards the Big East!!!
Count me from Missouri on LSU! While they are obviously talented and more importantly, have a top 3 coach, I think the stars on that team are way overhyped! Reese, while feasting on overmatched, less talented opponents has not done so well against talented bigs. (We happen to have one, perhaps two talented bigs) Hailey Van Lith is not now and likely will never be a point guard. Some will say; let her play the two guard! Well first, she’s undersized, second she’s a poor shooter, she shot 41% overall and 29% on threes last season at Louisville, and finally, she doesn’t want to play the two as she wants to prepare for the W where she will have to play the one spot! She is also a defensive liability.
Finally, we come to the third of the LSU triumvirate, Morrow. She, though admittedly a beast in the post, is undersized at 6’1”, let’s just say she likes the ball, shoots 42% overall, 25% from three, and 64% from the line. At her previous school she had trouble following her coach’s game plan as she would become infuriated with her teammates inferior talent and try to win the game single-handedly.
(The other potential issue is the arrival of the #1 recruit, Mikayla Williams, a (by all accounts) truly gifted player in her own right. Will Mulkey be able to give her the minutes a #1 recruit of her stature usually expects without having issues with other, more established players like Flau’jae Johnson, Kateri Poole, and Sa’myah Smith?)
I realize Morrow will have more talent surrounding her and that Kim will presumably not stand for it but let’s just say I have my doubts on this team’s ability to get through the season without facing issues arising from the “too many Alphas on one team” problem.
Obviously, they are one of the best teams in the country and will be a threat to win almost every game they play but I think people are going a little overboard with the “unbeatable superteam” talk!
Having ranted:rolleyes: about all that, I will concede that Mulkey is the (massive) wildcard here and just may be able to cut through these (imo) issues and get them to rise above their collective egos and meld together into a real team. If that happens, then they may well live up to the “unbeatable superteam“ moniker.

Reaction Score
You sound like the people who said UConn couldn't guard Jordan Canada. It isn't a one-on-one or two-on-two game. Over the years UCLA has had a lot of great players and Close allows a lot of individual play and I think that attracts some very talented players.

UConn's team concepts have always done well against them.
maybe kk Arnold or griffin will defend those shifty guards but I'm going off the footage...

Reaction Score
maybe kk Arnold or griffin will defend those shifty guards but I'm going off the footage...

The last time I saw UCLA was in Bridgeport in 2017. Canada had 20 pts & 11 assists. UConn won 86-75. The UConn guards were Chong and Nurse. Dangerfield, the only bench player to play got 17 min 2 pts and 4 assists.

My point is that Close has had players but her system just doesn't match up against Geno's. Can't say why but that's how it appears to me.
I'm going to enjoy seeing UCLA in the B1G, where I can watch their games. Haven't seen many PAC12 games since I lost my access.

Reaction Score
The last time I saw UCLA was in Bridgeport in 2017. Canada had 20 pts & 11 assists. UConn won 86-75. The UConn guards were Chong and Nurse. Dangerfield, the only bench player to play got 17 min 2 pts and 4 assists.

My point is that Close has had players but her system just doesn't match up against Geno's. Can't say why but that's how it appears to me.
I'm going to enjoy seeing UCLA in the B1G, where I can watch their games. Haven't seen many PAC12 games since I lost my access.
Rice and Osborne are tough guards to go along with bessior and Betts. I'm excited for this game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom