UConn's Top Teams' Attendance, Revenue And Expenses | The Boneyard

UConn's Top Teams' Attendance, Revenue And Expenses

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A Look At UConn's Top Teams' Attendance, Revenue And Expenses

Wow! With revenue numbers like these it is no wonder UCONN can't get into a money conference.

• Men’s basketball averaged just 7,829 fans at home games in 2017 — the lowest average since 1987. The team went 30-35 in the past two seasons, which is just one factor in the decline.
  • Football recorded the lowest average home attendance in the past 10 years at 20,334 — a dropoff of more than 6,000.

Reaction Score
Says that the women's program brought in revenue of about 3.5 million, but had expenses of $7.9 million. Is the program really operating at a $4.4 million loss a year? I don't think it includes network TV revenue. And I don't understand where the $7.9 million comes from. Reno's salary is well below that. And the assistants are far below his salary. The "student-athletes" don't get paid, and their tuition is a non-cash item.

So what's up? Some funny accounting going on....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
  • The women’s team earned $2.4 million in home game revenue, about $200,000 shy of the football program. The men’s basketball team earned $3.1 million in home game revenue.
  • After expenses, however, the men’s team netted $2.6 million in home game revenue, the women $1.9 million and football just $815,691.
  • While women’s and men’s basketball have seen the most success for UConn, the football program received the most contributions in 2017 at more than $1.2 million. Women’s basketball received $642,623 and men’s basketball received $655,657.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Says that the women's program brought in revenue of about 3.5 million, but had expenses of $7.9 million. Is the program really operating at a $4.4 million loss a year? I don't think it includes network TV revenue. And I don't understand where the $7.9 million comes from. Reno's salary is well below that. And the assistants are far below his salary. The "student-athletes" don't get paid, and their tuition is a non-cash item.

So what's up? Some funny accounting going on....

Travel and support personnel are major expenses. I'm sure travel in the AAC is very expensive.

Reaction Score
Travel and support personnel are major expenses. I'm sure travel in the AAC is very expensive.

This. Conference realignment was done because of football. UConn football hasn't been a very successful program overall and that's why it's not in a conference like the ACC. Well that and politics.

I remember thinking when the musical chairs was going on, "does West Virginia realize they have to transport more than just the football team to the midwest multiple times a year?". It's one thing to have 4 or 5 long road trips during a season where the games are once a week and actually draw some revenue. It's another to have non revenue sports shuffled across the country in seasons where there are many more contests. That adds up on expenses for flights, food, lodging and support.

The AAC is an odd mix of schools with seemingly no common threads outside of being just outside the power 5 leagues based on tradition, success and support. I can't see there ever being excitement from any fan base about ECU playing UConn in any sport no matter how good the teams may actually be.

I would fully support UConn getting in the ACC along with ND as a full member to give them 16 teams. It brings back natural rivalries and makes logical sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom