Uconn's Top Rivals? | The Boneyard

Uconn's Top Rivals?

Reaction Score
I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays so far! I'm a student at NKU and I wanted to learn more about UConn's Rivals and I thought no better way than jumping into this message board. With the help of message board members beginning in 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—began answering this question and others related to rivalry in the NCAA FBS. No one knows the rivalries of the Huskies better than this message board community. Please help us update and expand our results to ensure that the UConn Huskies are included by taking 9 minutes to complete our newest survey:

https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?grpID=1051&mbsrc=mb

Our previous results have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com website BUT we'd prefer you didn't until you completed the survey via the link above... we don't want to influence your opinions provided in the survey.

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. There are plenty of other teams you can look into as well on the site if you had other favorite teams. I'd love to know more in this thread about why certain teams are rivals. The Huskies may have an obvious rival, but who is the second or third rival? Is there a second or third? Thank you for helping us to include the Huskies by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Zachary Beal, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

Reaction Score
UMass and there's schools' fanbases who may not consider us rivals because they're snooty and have been traumatized by UConn in some way. These schools are Syracuse, Rutgers, BC (UConn never beat BC in football but has multiple times in hockey) and maybe, maybe Pitt and Temple.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FB: None, though there is a good amount of mutal hate with Louisville, BC, Cuse, and Pitt. Some people would say Rutgers, but those aren't smart people. Some people would say UCF, but those people have ruined their coaching careers betting on that one. Some would say UMass, but those people are so old that they will be dead soon enough that it's not worth taking them seriously.

MBB: Cuse is the best available answer but the real answer is whomever else is good at the moment. We've had trouble holding up our end recently, but in the interim we've been rivals with the NCAA, AAC, ACC and Mark Emmert.

WBB: anyone who consoders themselves pretenders to the throne. If you check around the graveyard you will find Tennessee, Stamford, Notre Dame and Baylor.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’d go with BC as equally if not more despised.
We always played tight games with RU and beat them at least 50% of the time. BC...we can hate them but we can’t call them a rival. Not in football

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’d go with BC as equally if not more despised.
It's really not a debate. We barely played BCU. Meanwhile Rutgers was our first D-1 win. And the second team we beat twice and thrice. And they hated it. Rutty filled the visitor sections with red, and the teams hit hard when they played. WVU over BCU while we're at it.

Reaction Score
We always played tight games with RU and beat them at least 50% of the time. BC...we can hate them but we can’t call them a rival. Not in football
Not in basketball either. I think UConn had like a 50 game winning streak going. The only rivalry I can think of now with BC is hockey.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Football: Rutgers or Syracuse
Basketball: Syracuse or Villanova or Duke
Hockey: BC (this one is one way but they will always be our biggest games every year)
Baseball: Expect St John’s to be our main competitors in the Big East. Cincinnati always seemed to spoil our seasons in the AAC

Reaction Score
Historically at least from the 70s it was UMass. Then Rutgers in the Big East D1 era. I think maybe Cincinnati was on the verge in the AAC. Going forward, I’d guess UMass again because we are both Indy, will play regularly and are easy driving distance.

Reaction Score
It's really not a debate. We barely played BCU. Meanwhile Rutgers was our first D-1 win. And the second team we beat twice and thrice. And they hated it. Rutty filled the visitor sections with red, and the teams hit hard when they played. WVU over BCU while we're at it.
We have no rivalry against WVU. They actually showed total class when they came up here. Rivalry is defined by attitudes about an opponent. BC feared us and continues to fear us, and we hate them for blocking us. We are the one school that can overtake them in football in the NE. The day we go to the B1G is the day BC melts into irrelevancy.

Reaction Score
BC feared us and continues to fear us, and we hate them for blocking us. We are the one school that can overtake them in football in the NE. The day we go to the B1G is the day BC melts into irrelevancy.
LOL!

Reaction Score
St. Johns, especially during the Jarvis years with Artest, Barkley, Postell, Thornton. Jarvis moved their home games to campus because Huskies fans invaded MSG.

Syracuse, Georgetown & Villanova of course. PC games were always close. BC games were not.

Football, I liked the Cincinnati, USF and Rutgers rivalries abrewing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have no rivalry against WVU. They actually showed total class when they came up here. Rivalry is defined by attitudes about an opponent.
Yeah there was. We couldn't beat them. Until we did and went to the Fiesta Bowl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom