UConn's Self-Reported NCAA Violation Involving Kyrie Irving | The Boneyard

UConn's Self-Reported NCAA Violation Involving Kyrie Irving

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is an article in the Courant (probably in tomorrow's print edition) which I won't attempt to link, which describes a number of minor, self-reported NCAA violations in many sports. But the one that the article led with involves Geno, Kyrie Irving, and a couple of recruits.

Apparently Geno invited Kyrie to his house last year, and Kyrie arrived early, while Geno was entertaining two recruits and their families. This allowed Kyrie to interact with those recruits and family members for a brief period of time. One of the recruits eventually came to UConn (Aubrey Griffin?), and the other went to Tennessee (Jordan Horston?).

Shortly thereafter, UConn recognized a potential violation and contacted the NCAA. The NCAA said that Irving, as a professional athlete, qualifies as a representative of the school's athletic interests, and that this was therefore a violation. UConn duly self-reported it.

I wonder if that was what convinced Jordan to go to Knoxville???

Reaction Score
I gave Geno a pass on that violation in my mind because of the potential uncertainty of the time of Irving's arrival at Geno's house.

I was more surprised to read about the violation involving Dailey and Lister doing evaluation work (could be viewing and/or contacting a recruit) during a "dead period." All collegiate coaches know what you can and can't do during a dead period. UConn doesn't need to do that with respect to recruiting.

Reaction Score
These were the three involving the women’s basketball program: UConn’s athletic department has self-reported at least 28 minor violations over the past two years, including one involving Kyrie Irving

“Sept. 15, 2018

Offense: The women’s basketball team scheduled only one day off during an out-of-season week.

Penalty: Three days off during the next declared out-of-season week; letter of education to head coach Geno Auriemma; rules education for women’s basketball coaching staff”

“Sept. 22, 2018

Offense: NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving met women’s basketball recruits at coach Auriemma’s house during official visit.

Penalty: Letter of admonishment to Auriemma; rules education for women’s basketball coaching staff”

Dec. 26, 2018

Offense: Assistant women’s basketball coaches Chris Dailey and Jasmine Lister evaluated three recruits during a “dead period.”

Penalty: Decrease in recruiting days and recruiting opportunities; letter of admonishment to Dailey and Lister; two-week period of no on-campus recruiting; rules education to women’s basketball coaching staff

Reaction Score
that last one with JL and CD really is inexcusable unless they made a calculated decision that it was necessary to see a player they were about to offer/not offer regardless of the consequences.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
These were the three involving the women’s basketball program: UConn’s athletic department has self-reported at least 28 minor violations over the past two years, including one involving Kyrie Irving
“Sept. 15, 2018
Offense: The women’s basketball team scheduled only one day off during an out-of-season week.
Penalty: Three days off during the next declared out-of-season week; letter of education to head coach Geno Auriemma; rules education for women’s basketball coaching staff”
“Sept. 22, 2018
Offense: NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving met women’s basketball recruits at coach Auriemma’s house during official visit. Penalty: Letter of admonishment to Auriemma; rules education for women’s basketball coaching staff”
Dec. 26, 2018
Offense: Assistant women’s basketball coaches Chris Dailey and Jasmine Lister evaluated three recruits during a “dead period.”
Penalty: Decrease in recruiting days and recruiting opportunities; letter of admonishment to Dailey and Lister; two-week period of no on-campus recruiting; rules education to women’s basketball coaching staff
I'm both surprised and mildly disappointed in Geno, CD and Jasmine for these violations. These violations, even if taken collectively are minor. However, these infractions are of long established NCAA rules and show a lack of attention to details. Attention to detail is among the pillars of this great program and all three should have known & done better.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

“Sept. 15, 2018

“Sept. 22, 2018

Offense: NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving met women’s basketball recruits at coach Auriemma’s house during official visit.

Penalty: Letter of admonishment to Auriemma; rules education for women’s basketball coaching staff”

Dec. 26, 2018

Now we know what the staff read over the holiday break!

Reaction Score
There is an article in the Courant (probably in tomorrow's print edition) which I won't attempt to link, which describes a number of minor, self-reported NCAA violations in many sports. But the one that the article led with involves Geno, Kyrie Irving, and a couple of recruits.

Apparently Geno invited Kyrie to his house last year, and Kyrie arrived early, while Geno was entertaining two recruits and their families. This allowed Kyrie to interact with those recruits and family members for a brief period of time. One of the recruits eventually came to UConn (Aubrey Griffin?), and the other went to Tennessee (Jordan Horston?).

Shortly thereafter, UConn recognized a potential violation and contacted the NCAA. The NCAA said that Irving, as a professional athlete, qualifies as a representative of the school's athletic interests, and that this was therefore a violation. UConn duly self-reported it.

I wonder if that was what convinced Jordan to go to Knoxville???
I have to admit that if the NCAA wasn’t so pathetic .......these violations would bother me a lot more.

Reaction Score
I'm both surprised and mildly disappointed in Geno, CD and Jasmine for these violations. These violations, even if taken collectively are minor. However, these infractions are of long established NCAA rules and show a lack of attention to details. Attention to detail is among the pillars of this great program and all three should have known & done better.
Aren’t there people in the athletic department whose sole responsibility is to make sure all the rules are properly followed? Shouldn’t they know what the coaching staff is up to or should t the coaching staff report What they are doing to ensure no rules are violated?

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
I have to admit that if the NCAA wasn’t so pathetic .......these violations would bother me a lot more.

This exactly. While these are violations, they are not North Carolina where basketball players had tests taken for them and it isn't any of a bunch of adidas schools where recruits were paid a lot of money to entice them to go to school there. Until bigger violations become an issue I can't be too bothered by minor infractions.

Reaction Score
This exactly. While these are violations, they are not North Carolina where basketball players had tests taken for them and it isn't any of a bunch of adidas schools where recruits were paid a lot of money to entice them to go to school there. Until bigger violations become an issue I can't be too bothered by minor infractions.

EVERY single program in the country commits these minor penalties, it is simply the cost of doing business!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Aren’t there people in the athletic department whose sole responsibility is to make sure all the rules are properly followed? Shouldn’t they know what the coaching staff is up to or should t the coaching staff report What they are doing to ensure no rules are violated?
Yes there are people responsible for compliance. The operative word there is "people"-as in prone to make an occasional mistake.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
EVERY single program in the country commits these minor penalties, it is simply the cost of doing business!
I don't think UCONN WBB is striving to be like "every single program in the country" in compliance, in basketball or life in general. These are minor violations that should have been avoided because the rules are very clear.

Reaction Score
I bet the Kyrie issue happened when they were recording Geno's podcast. If Kyrie arrived early, what do you do...keep him outside until the recruits leave?

The CD and JL violation is much more curious to me. Hard to believe it was an oversight. Love to hear their explanation.

Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN WBB is striving to be like "every single program in the country" in compliance, in basketball or life in general. These are minor violations that should have been avoided because the rules are very clear.
Yes, but I just don't think people realize how many regulations there are, it is virtually impossible to be 100% compliant. The whole reason the NCAA instituted the self reporting policy is because of just how common these infractions are.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Oh Raoul:

I really appreciate all of the work Raoul does, but his anti-UConn stance is frustrating.

I’d like to see the list of everyone’s violations — self-reported and otherwise.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I really appreciate all of the work Raoul does, but his anti-UConn stance is frustrating.

I’d like to see the list of everyone’s violations — self-reported and otherwise.
No, you really wouldn't. To begin with, the list would be ridiculously long, and the regulations obscure. I know a few of Rutgers' violations.

The oddest I specifically know of involved the time Rutgers was playing at Seton Hall and a prospective recruit's mother walked up to CVS and gave her a hug. Seton Hall promptly reported Rutgers for the unauthorized contact with the recruit's (Essence Carson) mother. Another involved giving the fan club a tour of the locker room at which time a locker was set up with a fake jersey, etc. for a prospective recruit (who went elsewhere, eventually). Rutgers gave permission to a player (Tasha Pointer, I think) to play in a summer league game without NCAA authorization. A player went to a WNBA game on the fan club bus during the summer prior to her freshman year (she paid her own way). And yes, the same sort of "dead period" stuff, IIRC. Also excessive practices, at one time. And Vivian was suspended a game by the NCAA once, I don't remember what she did.

As several have said, every program has them, and I suppose most self-report them, because the punishments are generally mild, as the violations are minor.

I do find truth in what Raoul was complaining about, as those sort of violations seem to occur frequently across the WBB landscape and are just inexplicable. As others say, there are whole departments whose sole job is to keep the coaches in line.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
“Sept. 15, 2018

Just a scheduling snafu. Seen that one a lot of time at different schools. Only affects the players who probably would have been playing pickup or hitting the gym anyway.

“Sept. 22, 2018

Wrong place, wrong time. Not much you could have done about this one. And it didn't even help with the main target.

Dec. 26, 2018

This one they should have known. You gotta know when the dead period is. Heck the dead period is mostly for the coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom