UConn's Schedule Going Forward | The Boneyard

UConn's Schedule Going Forward

Reaction Score
If current NET rankings approximately hold, then we do not play a single Quad 3/4 game again until we're @ Georgetown on Feb. 27. Our next month will include 5 Q2 games and 4 Q1 games. (5 Home, 4 Away.) This part of the season will likely show us who we really are -- there are no more cupcakes to reset against after a sluggish performance, a loss, or a nailbiting win. February is a gauntlet and we'll be tested every game.

We're currently 2-3 in Q1 games and 2-1 in Q2 for a 4-4 record. To go 5-4 or better in those 9 games will bode well for March. Time to see what we're made of, but I'm more bullish on UConn than I have been in a while, even in a stronger BE conference than last year.

Reaction Score
Play to our potential and identity. That stretch will help shape the team for the BET/MSG and the Big Tournament. Win our home games and try to grab some road wins whenever possible. Crunch time execution and made FTs.

Lets do this

Reaction Score
5-4 in those 9 games would be a disappointment. 6-3 should be the floor.

Current kenpom ranking... game .... win or loss

@ #106 Depaul - Win
#46 Creighton - Win
@ #5 Nova - Loss
#37 Marquette - Win
@ #22 Xavier - Loss
@ #86 SJU - Win
#36 Seton Hall - Win
#22 Xavier - Win
#5 Nova - Win

I suspect we'll be the favorite in 7/9 of those games. 7-2 isn't going to be impossible, especially since most of the tougher games are at home. I'd think 6-3 is a reasonable prediction--we're bound to have some boneheaded game where nothing can fall through the net and we lose.

Reaction Score

@ #106 Depaul - Win
#46 Creighton - Win
@ #5 Nova - Loss
#37 Marquette - Win
@ #22 Xavier - Loss
@ #86 SJU - Win
#36 Seton Hall - Win
#22 Xavier - Win
#5 Nova - Win

I suspect we'll be the favorite in 7/9 of those games. 7-2 isn't going to be impossible, especially since most of the tougher games are at home. I'd think 6-3 is a reasonable prediction--we're bound to have some boneheaded game where nothing can fall through the net and we lose.
I believe @DePaul does not belong in that list, and @Creighton does. Doesn't change anything for your argument, though, as we'll be favored (I hope).

Reaction Score

This. Holding serve at home wouldn't be what I think this team should be accomplishing. 6-3 is the floor to get to the Georgetown game pleased with our performance.

Reaction Score
Do you also take it one game at a time? Are you a proponent of playing 40 minutes of basketball? How do you feel about execution?

(I am accusing you of making meaningless statements.)
Holy crap. If that were a Boneyard crime, there would be no one left to post here. I still get mad at the stupid statements, but I've learned to live with meaningless.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This. Holding serve at home wouldn't be what I think this team should be accomplishing. 6-3 is the floor to get to the Georgetown game pleased with our performance.

+1
+1
5-4 is the floor. 6-3 is okay. Anything better is gravy.

A 6-3 run would plant us firmly in the Top-15. 7-2 or better and Top 10 is within reach.

Reaction Score
Agreed that 6-3 is what we should desire, with anything better being gravy. I was using 5-4 to account for one "screwup" game. I'm seeing a few coin flip games on that schedule that could fall either direction.

Reaction Score
I think 5-4 would be fine for getting a decent seed (6 or better) in the dance. I'd be quite happy with 6-3. If they go 7-2, I'm booking a flight to Nawlins.

Reaction Score
In CB you can expect the unexpected. 4 seems more likely just because there is a good chance of a head scratcher along the way.

Reaction Score
If current NET rankings approximately hold, then we do not play a single Quad 3/4 game again until we're @ Georgetown on Feb. 27. Our next month will include 5 Q2 games and 4 Q1 games. (5 Home, 4 Away.) This part of the season will likely show us who we really are -- there are no more cupcakes to reset against after a sluggish performance, a loss, or a nailbiting win. February is a gauntlet and we'll be tested every game.

We're currently 2-3 in Q1 games and 2-1 in Q2 for a 4-4 record. To go 5-4 or better in those 9 games will bode well for March. Time to see what we're made of, but I'm more bullish on UConn than I have been in a while, even in a stronger BE conference than last year.
Don't forget we have to reschedule playing @Providence as well. Another huge opportunity.

Reaction Score
Ironic take on what is meaningless.. In the eyes of the beholder I guess
I don't know what you're implying, but I'm also not interested. I'm just saying that mindless recitations of sports clichés are silly, and they are even worse when they involve bravado. Furthermore, the "expect to win every game" bromide is usually a blatant lie. An informed and reasonable person could not have truthfully said they expected, for example, Georgetown to have won last night. You might have heard fans and even the coach say it, but they were almost certainly saying something they did not believe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess it is the former coach in me to go into every game expecting to win. Ask DH or the players if they expect to lose at Villanova.

Yes, as a coach, player and fan you go in to each game expecting your best and you want to win.

As an adult you realize the prospects of an undefeated season is nearly unattainable. So, you have to learn how to manage expectations and look at the season holistically. Even breaking it down in to mini-seasons is reasonable and wise.

Reaction Score
I guess it is the former coach in me to go into every game expecting to win. Ask DH or the players if they expect to lose at Villanova.
As I said, for a game for which it is obvious that one team is more likely to win than another, only an ignorant person, an unreasonable person, a liar, or some combination of those things can say that he or she expects the underdog to win. The coach is most likely very knowledgeable, and probably reasonable (although this may be the false assumption that I am making in which the crux of the issue lies), so he or she must be a liar.

This is not a bad thing as a coach. It can really damage morale to openly admit you expect to lose. If you lie and say you expect to win, you might be able to keep your players ignorant enough (i.e. they don't know that it is unlikely that they will win) so that they truthfully expect to win, creating a competitive advantage. As a fan on a message board, however, it just strikes me as silly, and what's worse, I get the feeling that the person posting it wears it as a badge of honor or toughness or something.

Reaction Score
We took care of Marquette on the road short handed. We can beat Xavier and Nova. Both don’t impress me much this year.

Reaction Score

@ #106 Depaul - Win
#46 Creighton - Win
@ #5 Nova - Loss
#37 Marquette - Win
@ #22 Xavier - Loss
@ #86 SJU - Win
#36 Seton Hall - Win
#22 Xavier - Win
#5 Nova - Win

To put some math into what people are saying. Yes, we'll be favored in 7 of the 9 probably. But the cumulative expected win total of the 9 is 5.42. So 4 is bad, 5 is okay, 6 is good, 7 is great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom