UConn's proposed 2015 BE Division | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn's proposed 2015 BE Division

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And that being said, trips to Annapolis, Tampa and San Diego beat the heck out of Syracuse, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Morgantown and a lot of other places.

The trips you mentioned are great for a vacation - no doubt - but its not at all about big time college football. Tuscaloosa isn't a vacation destination. Neither is Gainesville or Athens, Georgia. Eugene, Oregon is not exactly a tourist trap, nor is Norman, Oklahoma. Syracuse, C'Ville, Blacksbury and Morgantown are all better mailing addresses for college football than San Diego, Tampa and Annapolis.

Reaction Score
I have the impression this set up is being done to remind people we have schools that, for the most part, can be "national" players, and this set up emphasizes that. The other conferences from the so-called "Group of Five" conferences are all regional.
Can you please explain this.

Are you suggesting that the Big east will have "national" players just because we have teams that span the country, and that conferences like the Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma, SEC with Alabama, Florida, etc, ACC with FSU, and Big 10 with OSU and Michigan only have regional players?

It sounds like you are saying we'll have national powers just because our conference goes from coast to coast. Did I get that right?

Reaction Score
Can you please explain this.

Are you suggesting that the Big east will have "national" players just because we have teams that span the country, and that conferences like the Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma, SEC with Alabama, Florida, etc, ACC with FSU, and Big 10 with OSU and Michigan only have regional players?

It sounds like you are saying we'll have national powers just because our conference goes from coast to coast. Did I get that right?
No, I am saying we are forming a conglomerate of mostly "new-blood" national programs. Navy was an old national power but still play very well. This is the first time they ever are part of a conference. Memphis and Temple are not powers in football but are definitely powers in basketball. Same applies to us maybe somewhat, but we've been exploding in football since we went FBS.

The Big East did not hurt us at all. We benefited immensely. We're going into this new setup with the best recruiting class we ever assembled. Better than a bunch of other BCS programs. It's been unreal to observe. I'll give Edsall credit for getting us to the Fiesta Bowl but glad he's moved on.

Let me add, Cincinnati, Louisville, SMU and Houston are leftovers from old and now-defunct power conferences. Cincinnati and Louisville used to be in a conference with FSU. SMU and Houston were part of the Southwest Conference with much of what is now the Big 12. They had to find their way back to the top.

Reaction Score
No, I am saying we are forming a conglomerate of mostly new-blood national powers. Navy may be an exception. They were an old-blood national power but still play very well. This is the first time they ever are part of a conference. Memphis and Temple are not powers in football but are definitely powers in basketball. Same applies to us maybe somewhat, but we've been exploding in football since we went FBS.

The Big East did not hurt us at all. We benefited immensely. We're going into this new setup with the best recruiting class we ever assembled. Better than a bunch of other BCS programs. It's been unreal to observe. I'll give Edsall credit for getting us to the Fiesta Bowl but glad he's moved on.

Who, exactly, is a "national power" in the Big East?

Reaction Score
I edited my post. But if you want one, Boise State.

For argument's sake, and because i'm sure you really do believe they are a national power, I'll give you Boise St.

That's one program out of 14.

I understand optomism, I don't understand delusion. You are delusional if you think Cincy, Louisville, SMU, or anyone else in the conference is a national power. If your definition of national power includes the aforementioned, then you have set the bar so low, that half the ACC could be considered national powers.

Reaction Score
I'm actually pulling hard for an early season away game @ Boise next year. I will 100% make that trip. For those who have never been to Boise......beautiful city and countryside.

Reaction Score
For argument's sake, and because i'm sure you really do believe they are a national power, I'll give you Boise St.

I understand optomism, I don't understand delusion. You are delusional if you think Cincy, Louisville, SMU, or anyone else in the conference is a national power. If your definition of national power includes the aforementioned, then you have set the bar so low, that half the ACC could be considered national powers.

who are the national powers? you seem to have a very defined view none of which can be found in the Big East...
out of curiosity, is K-State a national power? How about Wake Forest or Clemson? Maybe Purdue is a national power. What about Oregon?

I think this is clearly an issue with the Big East and agree with you... But at what point do Cincy, Lousiville, and even Uconn become a national power in FB? What hoops do they (and the BE as a whole), need to go through to change it's perception from a 2nd tier football league. Is it winning a NC? Winning a BCS game or two?... What is the definition? Is time a component of the equation? You could list those hoops, have the BE get through every one of them and still have people suggest that the BE is not a power fb league and doesn't belong in the same breath as the other Top 5..

i think we would agree that back in 1986 Uconn wasn't perceived as a national power on the hardwood. While most people would consider us a national power today, there are some that think we are a one trick pony and will go away now that Calhoun has stepped down. And, if we were back in 1986 and someone said that over the next 25 years Uconn would go on to be one of the winningest programs in Mens hoops and win 3 NC's (not 1 but 3), this board, had it existed, would have debated the delusional thinking, just like you're doing now. Instead, now we debate whether Ucon is a blue-blood program.

The point is, no matter the situation people will always debate. If people can argue whether Uconn is a national power in BB, then people will find a way to argue whether UofL, Uconn or Cincy or the BE in general is a 'national power' football conference.

Just win on the field and the other crap will take care of itself.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Delusion?? Delusion = "Make the Big East football season an event that excites people's interest like the NCAA tournament." (Sorry, PJ)

Obviously, UConn needs to make the best of its current plight, but any UConn fan who still thinks the NBE is a better home than the ACC is certifiably DELUSIONAL.

Reaction Score
Obviously, UConn needs to make the best of its current plight, but any UConn fan who still thinks the NBE is a better home than the ACC is certifiably DELUSIONAL.
Yeah, the ACC has 1.5 national powers. the ACC. I'd rather go to the Big 12.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Yeah, the ACC has 1.5 national powers. **** the ACC. I'd rather go to the Big 12.

The Big 12 would be great as well. But even if the ACC is less desirable to UConn than the Big10 or 12, it doesnt have to fend off LaTech for a major bowl payday. Irrespective of whether we as UConn fans/ACC haters dont feel the ACC deserves its status, the market obviously determined that it does. And this is before you accept that the ACC will be the best hoops league, a better place for Olympic sports, and now includes the majority of the original Big East football members who if nothing else are our most obvious regional rivals. Obviously none of this is groundbreaking news, but the split betwn the "big 5" and the BE has never been greater with the new bowl system looming. We can hate the ACC all we want for being pragmatic and poaching the league, but to prefer the NBE over the ACC is DELUSIONAL.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the ACC has 1.5 national powers. **** the ACC. I'd rather go to the Big 12.
I'd rather go to the Big 12 too, but the fact is if the Big East had national powers we wouldn't have to battle the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and whoever else for a spot in a "BCS" bowl.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 would be great as well. But even if the ACC is less desirable to UConn than the Big10 or 12, it doesnt have to fend off LaTech for a major bowl payday. Irrespective of whether we as UConn fans/ACC haters dont feel the ACC deserves its status, the market obviously determined that it does. And this is before you accept that the ACC will be the best hoops league, a better place for Olympic sports, and now includes the majority of the original Big East football members who if nothing else are our most obvious regional rivals. Obviously none of this is groundbreaking news, but the split betwn the "big 5" and the BE has never been greater with the new bowl system looming. We can hate the ACC all we want for being pragmatic and poaching the league, but to prefer the NBE over the ACC is DELUSIONAL.
I don't care to hate the ACC. But ACC football is overrated. It is not much better than the "NNBE". Who do they have besides Clemson and FSU? I do enjoy regional rivalries. But if we want to win national titles, we have to align ourselves with the best to have the best opportunities. The best right now are the SEC and Big 12 and maybe the Pac-12. Would be nice if the B1G is amongst the best, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore with their market has become the "Rust Belt".

Reaction Score
I'd rather go to the Big 12 too, but the fact is if the Big East had national powers we wouldn't have to battle the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and whoever else for a spot in a "BCS" bowl.
If we get a TV deal that pays at least $15 million every year, I wouldn't even be worried about that.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score

Exactly.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I don't care to hate the ACC. But ACC football is overrated. It is not much better than the "NNBE". Who do they have besides Clemson and FSU? I do enjoy regional rivalries. But if we want to win national titles, we have to align ourselves with the best to have the best opportunities. The best right now are the SEC and Big 12 and maybe the Pac-12. Would be nice if the B1G is amongst the best, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore with their market has become the "Rust Belt".

Agreed that ACC is overrated, but its the fact that they have flst/Clem/vatech that in part set them apart from big east. Certainly those schools have national "appeal", if not better teams than the NBE. As far as national titles, it would be great to get to the point where's that's feasible, and I think ACC is better platform for us to grow. I also think that an undefeated ACC team makes the 4-team playoff whereas NBE team might very well not.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Your argument is that UConn should plan its future based on winning championships in football, and the NNBE is the best way for UConn to win a title in football?And that UConn should turn down the ACC because they are not as good as the SEC or Big12? And turn down the B1G because they are turning into the rust belt?

Have I mischaracterized your post? Because if not, RMoore is right - you are beyond delusional. This is RutgersAl territory we're talking about.

Anyway it doesn't matter, we're not getting an invite anywhere. We'll have more money than we had before, and have to hope it's enough to stay in shouting distance with the ACC schools.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
If we get a TV deal that pays at least $15 million every year, I wouldn't even be worried about that.

We'd still lack "BCS" guaranteed access, so I'd still worry.

Speaking of the ACC, has the BoT meeting adjourned and the press release been released yet?!!?!!

junglehusky

Reaction Score
We'd still lack "BCS" guaranteed access, so I'd still worry.

Speaking of the ACC, has the BoT meeting adjourned and the press release been released yet?!!?!!
Plus the ACC has a guaranteed contract bowl slot in the Orange bowl, right? What's the BE's contract bowl? Oh right, we don't have one.

Reaction Score
Your argument is that UConn should plan its future based on winning championships in football, and the NNBE is the best way for UConn to win a title in football?And that UConn should turn down the ACC because they are not as good as the SEC or Big12? And turn down the B1G because they are turning into the rust belt?

Have I mischaracterized your post? Because if not, RMoore is right - you are beyond delusional. This is RutgersAl territory we're talking about.

Anyway it doesn't matter, we're not getting an invite anywhere. We'll have more money than we had before, and have to hope it's enough to stay in shouting distance with the ACC schools.
Um, I was saying the Big 12 is the best platform to use for winning championships compared to the ACC and B1G. Maybe you should slow down and read the post.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Um, I was saying the Big 12 is a best platform to use for winning championships compared to the ACC and B1G. Maybe you should slow down and read the post.
Okay, I re-read it slowly. I still don't see how UConn gets an invite to the Big 12, and I still think it's crazy talk to say UConn should not go to the ACC if invited, which is what you are implying and you've said it before. An acc invite brings more money to pay a coaching staff and for recruiting, more regional rivalries, a guaranteed shot to play in the Orange Bowl instead of a non-guaranteed (i.e. worrying about being selected over an undefeated LaTech Hawaii, etc.), random game. But yeah, let's hold out for the Big12 because that makes so much more sense.

Reaction Score
Okay, I re-read it slowly. I still don't see how UConn gets an invite to the Big 12, and I still think it's crazy talk to say UConn should not go to the ACC if invited, which is what you are implying and you've said it before. An acc invite brings more money to pay a coaching staff and for recruiting, more regional rivalries, a guaranteed shot to play in the Orange Bowl instead of a non-guaranteed (i.e. worrying about being selected over an undefeated LaTech Hawaii, etc.), random game. But yeah, let's hold out for the Big12 because that makes so much more sense.
"I don't care to hate the ACC. But ACC football is overrated. It is not much better than the "NNBE". Who do they have besides Clemson and FSU? I do enjoy regional rivalries."

Read again. All I've said is we should go to the Big 12 over the ACC. I don't recall saying we should reject the ACC maybe except if it gets plundered by other conferences (which looks much less likely now with ND joining). Before you criticize, please read the damn posts thoroughly. Thank you. You're the only one seeing what you are saying.

Reaction Score
Did I miss something?

In my view, we have ZERO percent chance of getting an invite to the ACC. The Big 12 is even more remote.

With that framework, calling each other delusional is childish. Those conferences are set. The NNBE 'R Us. We are in the best conference we can be in. We are in the Comference where many Universities are striving to get to a higher platform. That's it. We retain some regional & decade-old rivalries. It's the best we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom