UConn's proposed 2015 BE Division | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn's proposed 2015 BE Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Pudge, you're right, nothings going to happen for 5+ years. So in that aspect okay, I'm being childish. Beyond that timeframe there might be a very remote chance of ND going full membership in the ACC, or a moderately remote chance of the ACC getting raided, so everybody strap yourselves in for years and years of pointless childish arguing over a 2% chance of an ACC invite versus a 0.2% chance of a Big Ten invite vs. a 0.1% chance of a Big12 invite.

Reaction Score
The ONLY reason any of these Conferences will expand is a window where they see more TV dollars. The contracts executed in the last 18 months are all 10 to 15 year in Term. There could be a new push of content to feed different eyeballs. That might come from the NNBE & faster growing areas.

I'll let y'all dream.

Reaction Score
We'd still lack "BCS" guaranteed access, so I'd still worry.

Speaking of the ACC, has the BoT meeting adjourned and the press release been released yet?!!?!!
If we're getting $15m, we should be winning the 'best of five' slot every year. Every league has down cycles but the be does have access. If our best team isn't ranked ahead of the other conferences we don't deserve to be in the national picture.

Reaction Score
If we're getting $15m, we should be winning the 'best of five' slot every year. Every league has down cycles but the be does have access. If our best team isn't ranked ahead of the other conferences we don't deserve to be in the national picture.
And not only that, the best of the other conferences join us if we ask.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The other advantage the ACC and other Contract bowl participating leagues have over the non-guaranteed leagues is if their Champ makes the playoff, a 2nd team from that league takes the non-playoff contract bowl slot. So in most years, 4 of the 5 Contract leagues will get at least 2 teams each into the 6 bowls.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The advantage is the amount of money they are getting from the contract bowls plus the 500 million about to be spent on the TV rights. If it's 80/20 thats 400 million for the Big 5 and 100 million for the G5. Throw in the 80 million for Sugar and Rose - it's a ridiculous gap.

Reaction Score
The other advantage the ACC and other Contract bowl participating leagues have over the non-guaranteed leagues is if their Champ makes the playoff, a 2nd team from that league takes the non-playoff contract bowl slot. So in most years, 4 of the 5 Contract leagues will get at least 2 teams each into the 6 bowls.
Where does it say that only one team from the group of five can participate.
Any team can qualify for the playoffs. On top of that, the highest rated team from the group of five will be invited to a host bowl.
Where does it say that it's one or the other?
I don't see the acc getting two teams in that much more than the be.

Reaction Score
Depends who the group of five can schedule from the gang of Five and beat on their field as we'll always be away. Just beating each other won't hold much sway with the selection committee to get into the playoffs.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Where does it say that only one team from the group of five can participate.
Any team can qualify for the playoffs. On top of that, the highest rated team from the group of five will be invited to a host bowl.
Where does it say that it's one or the other?
I don't see the acc getting two teams in that much more than the be.

It doesn't. But I believe in the vast majority of years, the Big 5 will take the 4 playoff spots. You must believe that the NBE and the rest of the Little 5 will actually be competitive with the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 and the best of the Big 10/ACC. That's where we disagree. Take this year. There are at least 15 teams that would be selected over 1 loss LaTech, Rutg or Lsvl.

Reaction Score
It doesn't. But I believe in the vast majority of years, the Big 5 will take the 4 playoff spots. You must believe that the NBE and the rest of the Little 5 will actually be competitive with the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 and the best of the Big 10/ACC. That's where we disagree. Take this year. There are at least 15 teams that would be selected over 1 loss LaTech, Rutg or Lsvl.
Nope. Just the acc.
I don't see too often where the acc has one team qualify for the playoff. And all it's going to take for this to fall apart is to see higher ranked teams get left out while mediocre teams from the power five take their place.

Outside of the contract bowls, aren't teams selected based on their ranking by an actual selection committee?

At the end of he day, if we have teams ranked high enough we'll be fine. The questions should be focused on how the rankings will be rigged to favor the top 5 conferences.
Look for something subtle like SOS to be a code word.

Reaction Score
The trips you mentioned are great for a vacation - no doubt - but its not at all about big time college football. Tuscaloosa isn't a vacation destination. Neither is Gainesville or Athens, Georgia. Eugene, Oregon is not exactly a tourist trap, nor is Norman, Oklahoma. Syracuse, C'Ville, Blacksbury and Morgantown are all better mailing addresses for college football than San Diego, Tampa and Annapolis.
True. I went to Charlottesville when we played there. Not going back. Connecticut football is a long ways away from fans travelling, and a longer ways from fans traveling to Norman, OK, etc. We are a lot closer to getting some fans to go to vacation points, however. The great loss to the big east, that started all this was, Miami. No coincidence there.

Reaction Score
The advantage is the amount of money they are getting from the contract bowls plus the 500 million about to be spent on the TV rights. If it's 80/20 thats 400 million for the Big 5 and 100 million for the G5. Throw in the 80 million for Sugar and Rose - it's a ridiculous gap.
It is. We'll get there at some point. Just have to keep pushing. The powers that be know the market here is too good to pass up.

Reaction Score
I'm actually pulling hard for an early season away game @ Boise next year. I will 100% make that trip. For those who have never been to Boise......beautiful city and countryside.
I agree. I've been there. Absolutely beautiful. Mountains, rivers, skiing. It's the Rockies, nothing wrong with that. Prefer September/October, as you say . . . .

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Nope. Just the acc.
I don't see too often where the acc has one team qualify for the playoff. And all it's going to take for this to fall apart is to see higher ranked teams get left out while mediocre teams from the power five take their place.

Outside of the contract bowls, aren't teams selected based on their ranking by an actual selection committee?

At the end of he day, if we have teams ranked high enough we'll be fine. The questions should be focused on how the rankings will be rigged to favor the top 5 conferences.
Look for something subtle like SOS to be a code word.

I was trying to make the point that if say, a 13-1 VaTech makes the playoff, the acc would get 2 big bowl games (and presumably, 2 payouts). Thus an 8-4 FSU could go to the Orange and an 11-2 NBE could be relegated to a lower bowl if another Little 5 champ was ranked higher.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only way to get to a payday bowl for a Big East team is undefeated or 1 loss with help.

Good luck going undefeated with the travel these teams are going to face.

Reaction Score
The only way to get to a payday bowl for a Big East team is undefeated or 1 loss with help.

Good luck going undefeated with the travel these teams are going to face.
You're right as long as the BE accepts the current practice of pre-season rankings to have such an impact on the overall rankings. There is zero reason to think that a Top 15 UofL program should start next season ranked at #40... If VT sucks this year (unranked), then they shouldn't be a pre-season Top 15 the following year.

How else does a 3 loss USC team stay in the Top 20? Better yet, Miss State gets a Top 13 ranking by going 7-0 beating Auburn, Jackson St., Troy, Ky, South Alabama and Tn... Really???

The final season rankings should be used to set the following year's pre-season rankings. That way if a team cracks through in a given year, they are benefitted the following year to hold their spot and not forced to climb the rankings again. If VT finishes unranked, they shouldn't be vaulted to a Top 15 pre-season ranking simply because of recruiting, tradition, history, or whatever. And if they have a bad year, they should have to climb back up the rankings like every other team.

If the BE can have 2-3 teams begin the season in the Top 25, and go 11-1 or 12-0, they will be in the semi's. UofL would be in the Top 10 right now had they not lost to Syracuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're right as long as the BE accepts the current practice of pre-season rankings to have such an impact on the overall rankings. There is zero reason to think that a Top 15 UofL program should start next season ranked at #40... If VT sucks this year (unranked), then they shouldn't be a pre-season Top 15 the following year.

How else does a 3 loss USC team stay in the Top 20? Better yet, Miss State gets a Top 13 ranking by going 7-0 beating Auburn, Jackson St., Troy, Ky, South Alabama and Tn... Really???

The final season rankings should be used to set the following year's pre-season rankings. That way if a team cracks through in a given year, they are benefitted the following year to hold their spot and not forced to climb the rankings again. If VT finishes unranked, they shouldn't be vaulted to a Top 15 pre-season ranking simply because of recruiting, tradition, history, or whatever. And if they have a bad year, they should have to climb back up the rankings like every other team.

If the BE can have 2-3 teams begin the season in the Top 25, and go 11-1 or 12-0, they will be in the semi's. UofL would be in the Top 10 right now had they not lost to Syracuse.

The Big East has as much say as the Boneyard does. The preseason rankings are overblown in impact - teams always lose and it mostly works out. Louisville isn't as good as anyone in the Top 10 and their schedule blows and they struggled in a lot of games. Their demise was clear to come sooner rather than later.

11-1 is not getting a Big East team to semis without it having a great OOC schedule. It will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom