UConns Potential | The Boneyard

UConns Potential

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just some things to think about moving forward. Some still wonder and are concerned if UConn can win number 12. Well Azzi had somethin like 15 points in the 3rd qtr. Now I remember early in the season she had a couple of games scoring over 30pts. Can you imagine when she gets going how fast UConn can put points on the board. Against Baylor Aaliyah was on the bench with 3 fouls. She had 19 pts and missed 15 minutes. Again just think. UConns chemistry right now is insync. Although we talk about how much better UConn can shoot the ball in the past 2 NCAA games UConn is shooting over 50%. We arent even 100% up to speed yet. Folks its only gonna get better. Griff and Nika are two of the best defenders in WCBB. You wonder why Maddy struggled in the BE final. Defense. I believe this is a team of destiny to win it all. When UConn is firing on all cylinders its gonna be fun to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Just some things to think about moving forward. Some still wonder and are concerned if UConn can win number 12. Well Azzi had somethin like 15 points in the 3rd qtr. Now I remember early in the season she had a couple of games scoring over 30pts. Can you imagine when she gets going how fast UConn can put points on the board. Against Baylor Aaliyah was on the bench with 3 fouls. She had 19 pts and missed 15 minutes. Again just think. UConns chemistry right now is insync. Although we talk about how much better UConn can shoot the ball in the past 2 NCAA games UConn is shooting over 50%. We arent even 100% up to speed yet. Folks its only gonna get better. Griff and Nika are two of the best defenders in WCBB. You wonder why Maddy struggled in the BE final. Defense. I believe this is a team of destiny to win it all. When UConn is firing on all cylinders its gonna be fun to be a UConn fan.
You are so right.
Go Huskies

Reaction Score
I hope that you are right Tony but I still remember well the ending of 2017 & 2018 seasons… I thought that we had it in the bag those years and then the unexpected happened.

Reaction Score
I agree. Actually, I don't think we'll see any 30 pt Azzi games like earlier in the year regardless of her health. I think the team overall has gotten better without her so we should see more balanced scoring. Now if she gets hot from 3 and they keep feeding the beast, all bets are off on how many points she can put on the board.

Reaction Score
Good post! A couple of things that may get in the way are complaceny and overconfidence. I hope that they continue to tighten up their defense, minimize turnovers, and take nothing for granted. I would like to see them continue to play with intensity and passion like they did in the 3rd quarter and fourth quarters against Baylor. Play like it is their last college game ever because if they do not play well, it will be their last game of the season. Do what Geno tells them to do!

Reaction Score

I hope so. I mean right now; we are beating teams that we are supposed to beat. I just got that feeling of, when the competition gets a little tougher; teams that are quicker, stronger, physically tougher, will our girls step up and go toe to toe? I hope so. We got so many options that can score out there and that is to our advantage. We can shoot with the best of them. We just need them to be dawgs out there. Treat each game as if it is the last game they will play. I agree it is fun watching this team firing on all cylinders. It is pure joy.

Reaction Score
The pattern with Azzi this year is to play an all-around great game for the whole time, but to open it up offensively and break our opponents with a sudden burst in the 3rd and sometimes also the 4th. That’s what happened against Baylor. Opponents have to guard her on the perimeter the whole time, which opens up the lane for everyone else. Then, in the second half she just puts the pedal to the metal on offense and the Huskies pull away.

Reaction Score
I hope that you are right Tony but I still remember well the ending of 2017 & 2018 seasons… I thought that we had it in the bag those years and then the unexpected happened.
A big difference between this squad and the two that you mention is the unprecedented degree to which this team has been tested and the resilience they have shown. At full force, with all ten player available, they have been unbeatable. As Nika said (paraphrase), 'we have been broken so much this season that we unbreakable'.

These guys know how to fight back. They want this one as bad as any past team, and in their hearts they believe it's theirs to lose - not because they are entitled or expected to win but because they believe they are the best team out there and intend to prove it!

Reaction Score
The Unsinkable Tony C:
1679523723767.png

But wait . . . what do I see on the left?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The thing about UConn is that they haven't reached their potential yet. Not even close, just a tantalizing taste.

Azzi and Caroline are still working their way back and are in various stages of accessing their ability...Over the next few weeks, Aziz's shot will likely more resemble that of the Fall as will Caroline's ability to take over a game in her various ways.

Clearly Lou's knee and who knows what else are effecting her shooting...the other night she was hardly looking for her shot. What happens if she regains the 20 ppg health and form?

Then there's Aubrey who was superwoman the other night, but we know she can score too.

Let's assume Nika and the bigs are playing to their expected level.

That leaves a frightening (for other teams) amount of additional potential UConn offense...with a D to match that was on display in the 2nd half...I've heard lots of coaches imploring their team to guard the 3-point line...seldom see it happen.like the other evening.

Probably if it all, even most of the above transpires...it's enough to win a Natty, regardless of what the competition does.

Will it all unfold in the manner I suggested? That's what games are for...but at this point, I wouldn't bet against it.

No team has our potential upside

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll just say it, because I'm tired of the breathless speculation about whether Azzi will get her shot back anytime soon -- Azzi's shot is back. We all saw it in the 3rd quarter against Baylor. It's a done deal. Her legs looked strong, her confidence was high, and she effectively took over the game.

If I turn out to be wrong and the tOSU game proves it, you guys can all mock me for it. But I'm putting it out there anyway.

Reaction Score
This game against OSU will be a signature game. Uconn should come into its own. I expect Azzi to become larger than life with
the unbelieveable shots. Also, I expect Caroline to show out. Aaliyah as well. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Good post! A couple of things that may get in the way are complaceny and overconfidence. I hope that they continue to tighten up their defense, minimize turnovers, and take nothing for granted. I would like to see them continue to play with intensity and passion like they did in the 3rd quarter and fourth quarters against Baylor. Play like it is their last college game ever because if they do not play well, it will be their last game of the season. Do what Geno tells them to do!
veryolddog- - - IMHO we don't have to concern ourselves with complacency and overconfidence, as Geno & staff will warn them every practice to look at the Stanford & Indiana results!
The staff will have them like rabid dogs with fresh meat!
Whatever games UCONN have left the players will grow in confidence and competitiveness to finish the job!

Reaction Score
Offensively they are capable of putting up amazingly high numbers and couple that with so many options and it's hard to imagine a night where no one is on. Where concern is warranted is they have a couple of defenders who are going to struggle with quicker players that are on the horizon. But I don't see it being enough to keep them from winning.

In the end I think they will be dominant again this weekend. They are so fundamentally sound that it is hard to imagine the OSU press being a huge problem and they are a match up problem for VaTech. Close to them is a 20 point victory!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And what happens if Azzi, Lou, and Caroline all get hot? No team in Division I can stop that.
I'm hoping that Azzi, Caroline, and Lou combine for 20+ 3 pointers against tOSU team just to put the fear of it happening to any of the remaining tournament teams. That would not only be 60+ points, but it would certainly open up the paint for Aaliyah, Aubrey, or Dorka.

Reaction Score
A big difference between this squad and the two that you mention is the unprecedented degree to which this team has been tested and the resilience they have shown. At full force, with all ten player available, they have been unbeatable. As Nika said (paraphrase), 'we have been broken so much this season that we unbreakable'.

These guys know how to fight back. They want this one as bad as any past team, and in their hearts they believe it's theirs to lose - not because they are entitled or expected to win but because they believe they are the best team out there and intend to prove it!
I appreciate your points, but I believe the women believe that this tournament is theirs to WIN, losing is not an option that they think about.:):):)

The turning point was when they said that they needed to return to the high intensity practices after getting their eighth player back to full strength and speed... The double digit wins started accumulating a little over a week later.

Confidence through working through the "fire and flames" of rigorous practice shows up in the second half when games are won [games can be lost {mentally} in the first half, but most games are won in the second half when the 'Stars' shine]...

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that Azzi, Caroline, and Lou combine for 20+ 3 pointers against tOSU team just to put the fear of it happening to any of the remaining tournament teams. That would not only be 60+ points, but it would certainly open up the paint for Aaliyah, Aubrey, or Dorka.
Even shooting at 50% rate, making 20 threes would require taking 40 3-point shots. That will never happen on a Geno coached team where offense is all about balance. Plus, any decent opposing coach would adjust and prefer to give up 2 point shots instead of threes. I understand the enthusiasm, but fantasizing about 20+ made threes in a game is a bit much!!

Reaction Score
Right now I dont think OSU can stop UConn. Once we break their press they cant keep up with UConn. Dont worry Geno will have them ready. Remember we're going to the final game.
The break came at a good time for Connecticut. They will get a chance to scout 0SU, and their press, and then a chance to practice against it if Connecticut can be affective against the pressure . The outcome should be positive for Connecticut

Reaction Score
We all can talk about how uconn women need to do this and opposed teams do that. Basically I believe in this group of young women. They are the only ones that can do it. We can armchair them. This is a amazing team, from coach to trainers. So why not just believe. This year has groomed them. So GO HUSKIES.
I truly believe and full support

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom