UConn's Potential Appetite For Incoming Transfers, Spring 2022 | The Boneyard

UConn's Potential Appetite For Incoming Transfers, Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
We sometimes forget that the dreaded transfer portal is a 2-way street, and that it brings in people like Dorka, Azura, and Natalie Butler who can help UConn win games. And UConn is not alone in this respect -- South Carolina got Cardoso, Louisville got Emily Engstler, and last year Baylor got DiJonae Carrington -- who almost got them to the Final Four.

Without naming names, what kind of player(s) do you think Geno might want to zap up if they appear in the transfer portal this spring?

In my opinion, UConn's one and only need in the incoming transfer portal would be for a very fast guard with a talent for one-on-one perimeter defense. She wouldn't have to be a great 3-point shooter (UConn should have plenty of those in 2022-23), but she should be a reliable ball handler and ideally a good passer. Someone like Carrington (I can mention her name because she is now in the WNBA) might be the kind of guard that UConn could profitably add. The guards currently on the roster may be able to replace Christyn's offense (which is not reliable anyway), but it will be harder to replace her defensive ability against opponents' quick guards.

You can say that Aubrey should be the answer to this need, but given her physical issues and slower-than-expected development, I don't think Geno can count on that. Just as Liv needed Dorka as a reliable alternative, Aubrey needs a similar partner/backup.

Reaction Score
I believe anyone who transfers mid-season can't play until the fall, like Saylor who won't be appearing in any games until next fall. I think the only thing the team could do to add players is find a walk-on and get them on the roster by the 18th.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I believe anyone who transfers mid-season can't play until the fall, like Saylor who won't be appearing in any games until next fall. I think the only thing the team could do to add players is find a walk-on and get them on the roster by the 18th.
That is why I said "Spring 2022". I was asking about the kind of player who could play in the 2022-23 season, and would be available in the portal after the current season is over.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Without naming names, what kind of player(s) do you think Geno might want to zap up if they appear in the transfer portal this spring?
In my opinion, UConn's one and only need in the incoming transfer portal would be for a very fast guard with a talent for one-on-one perimeter defense.
Lol because that sentence sort of further signals that you are coming around to my way of thinking. :D
I think the transfer portal has become a greater need for UCONN with the departures of Mir and Saylor whose departure has left the roster for next season at 11 or 10 depending on what Dorka does. Additionally next season could be Paige's last at UCONN because she is WNBA eligible in spring of 2023.

What I think UCONN would be looking for is the portal are players (2) that have 1 year of eligibility remaining and can be part of the rotation. That one year commitment is important but not a disqualified mainly because the class of 2023 is so incredibly talented and UCONN already has 3 or 4 outstanding offers to kids in that class. By position I think UCONN is looking for help on the wing (CG/SG/SF) and also a quality perimeter defender.

You said no names but a player similar to hat DiJonai Carrington did for Baylor last season would be ideal. One other name to keep in mind and makes sense for so many reasons is Abby Meyers of Princeton. The unique set of circumstances for Abby are 1) She is already in the transfer portal. 2) Ivy League practice is to graduate players and she will not likely be returning to Princeton to complete her eligibility 3) Carla Berube is her coach 4) Abby is a legit 6'0", shooting 43% from deep and grabbing 5.6 RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom