UConn's Next Hockey Coach just free up? National power DU fires coach | The Boneyard

UConn's Next Hockey Coach just free up? National power DU fires coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This could be a huge opportunity for WM. He was making about $220K at Denver, I have to believe we can offer at least that much.

Also, moving from Colorado to the Northeast (and vice versa) is pretty common. And are three aspects of the job that if I were a coach I would find very appealing: 1) we have a history of stability in our coaching ranks so this will not be a 2-year and done situation; 2) we provide a chance for a hockey coach to put his name up there with Calhoun / Geno / Edsall (to a much lesser extent) for bringing a team to the national spotlight at UConn; and 3) a huge challenge, but also a legitimate opportunity to meet that challenge given the fertile recruiting ground, national name recognition, and top flight league.

I also think this is a nice chance to let the B1G know that we are serious about fielding some compelling hockey clubs well into the future.

Warde - get it done!

Reaction Score
Or a local guy with NHL experience. How much does a guy like Joe Mullin make in Philly?

Edit:Read more: The Salary of an NHL Assistant Coach | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8750028_salary-nhl-assistant-coach.html#ixzz2PPfqegLY

College Hockey is all about recruiting... think AAU Basketball on steroids w/ all the junior hockey programs.

If they go for someone only because of "name" - Gwozdecky is at the top. Dave Berand who took over for Marshall did a great job with the team this year.

Bunch of BY have been talking about some names and the team over here... http://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-hockey-2012-13.25021/

Reaction Score
I've been on the Berard bandwagon for a month now for 2 reasons. first the job he did taking over this year's team. Second, though, is that he spent several years as PC's recruiting coordinator, and as huskymedic says, recruiting is they key to success in college hockey. He knows his way around that end of the business. And I think he's landed a couple of kids for next year who are pretty solid, too. No having said that, I'm not so sure I would object if they brought in Gwozdecky. I had never really considered him, mostly because he wasn't really thought to be available. I mean who goes from a team which is always in contention to a startup? Guy has won 2 national championships, won 20 games 12 straight years, 11 NCAA tournaments in 19 years. It would be sort of like Calhoun taking the basketball job at Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
DU is a bunch of flipping morons for "releasing" Gwoz from his contract. And they so far have been universally panned by the college hockey press and community for the move, with numerous other coaches from the WCHA expressing utter shock at the decision.

That said, if Gwoz is legitimately interested in the job, sorry Berard, you take Gwoz. That would be a major splash hire for the university, would greatly help with recruiting against other HE teams, and he could have UConn competing against the HE big boys much quicker than most others. Thing is, I'm not sure he'd want the job, he might view it as "under him," though I have absolutely no knowledge about that. I do know his daughter is/was the team manager at BU, so she's living on the east coast, perhaps he wants to take a job closer to her?

Reaction Score
DU is a bunch of flipping morons for "releasing" Gwoz from his contract. And they so far have been universally panned by the college hockey press and community for the move, with numerous other coaches from the WCHA expressing utter shock at the decision.

That said, if Gwoz is legitimately interested in the job, sorry Berard, you take Gwoz. That would be a major splash hire for the university, would greatly help with recruiting against other HE teams, and he could have UConn competing against the HE big boys much quicker than most others. Thing is, I'm not sure he'd want the job, he might view it as "under him," though I have absolutely no knowledge about that. I do know his daughter is/was the team manager at BU, so she's living on the east coast, perhaps he wants to take a job closer to her?

What do you think of Quinn at BU? I have to say, I'm not entirely enthused.

Reaction Score
What do you think of Quinn at BU? I have to say, I'm not entirely enthused.
Love it. He was the behind the scenes orchestrator of the 2009 team, he also was the head recruiter that brought in the likes of Shattenkirk, Wilson, Bonino, etc. His position was to be in charge of defense, and they progressively got better and better over the five years he was there, culminating in them being an all-world defensive corps in 08-09. The drop off in defensive performance after he left following that season has been remarkably noticeable. Not to mention he now has ties throughout the NHL and coaching experience both in the A and in the NHL. Definitely the right move.

Reaction Score

Hard to say really whether this move makes sense. He'd be difficult to turn down I guess, but on the other hand, does UConn want a 60 year old head coach who might well be here for only a couple of seasons? Would he be satisfied being the 4th or 5th most popular sport on campus and struggling to build the program after coming form Denver? It could work but I can foresee some issues as well. Historically, UConn has tended to go with young up and coming guys, when they've hired coaches. The one time they didn't, well Pasqualoni isn't exactly lighting any fires. My hunch is that in his heart of hearts, Manuel wants to give the job to Beranrd. He sort of fits the UConn profile as a guy who will over time put his stamp on the program, like Calhoun, to a degree maybe Ollie, Edsall built the football program. Gwoz will always be Denver, even if he's coaching UConn. But on the other hand if he seriously had an interest, I'm not sure how you'd say no. 2national championships, 6 consecutive tournament appearances, 11 in 19 years. Pretty tough to turn that down unless you were damned confident in Berard.

Reaction Score
Love it. He was the behind the scenes orchestrator of the 2009 team, he also was the head recruiter that brought in the likes of Shattenkirk, Wilson, Bonino, etc. His position was to be in charge of defense, and they progressively got better and better over the five years he was there, culminating in them being an all-world defensive corps in 08-09. The drop off in defensive performance after he left following that season has been remarkably noticeable. Not to mention he now has ties throughout the NHL and coaching experience both in the A and in the NHL. Definitely the right move.

Thanks for that. I used to have close ties to the program--got together with one of the big guns from back then (my ex roommate) in Vancouver a few months ago. I was there 86-90 so it's hard for me to put the two realities together. Then again, I struggled watching Mike Sullivan coach the Bruins!

Reaction Score
Thanks for that. I used to have close ties to the program--got together with one of the big guns from back then (my ex roommate) in Vancouver a few months ago. I was there 86-90 so it's hard for me to put the two realities together. Then again, I struggled watching Mike Sullivan coach the Bruins!
Yeah Sullivan was one of the candidates, but has never coached the college game, and hasn't even been involved in anything at the collegiate level since he left BU in the early '90s.

Didn't know Warde directly oversaw the program when he was at Michigan. Certainly, it's a big time program there, but he didn't have to hire anyone since Red Berenson has been there for ages, but at the very least he would seem to be in touch with the sport and know Gwoz's name and understand his accomplishments. Still doesn't mean we'll get him, he may want to wait for a better college job to open, or to even try his hand at an NHL job, specifically if the Avs can Sacco at some point soon.

Reaction Score
My hunch is that in his heart of hearts, Manuel wants to give the job to Beranrd. He sort of fits the UConn profile as a guy who will over time put his stamp on the program, like Calhoun, to a degree maybe Ollie, Edsall built the football program. Gwoz will always be Denver, even if he's coaching UConn. But on the other hand if he seriously had an interest, I'm not sure how you'd say no. 2national championships, 6 consecutive tournament appearances, 11 in 19 years. Pretty tough to turn that down unless you were damned confident in Berard.

I think they were always planning to open up a national search at the end of the year once Marshall left, regardless of the performance of Berard in the interim. Berard's great performance this year just put his name a little higher on the list, AFAIC.

I think UConn would be foolish not to consider Gwozdecky if he's actually interested in the job. Whether that means they hire him is a different story, but he merits a serious look-see. One thing in UConn's favor re: Gwoz's interest is that there are few openings this year in D-I (other than DU's, which is not a job he can get for obvious reasons, and UConn's, there's only Anchorage and possibly Maine* open at the moment), and I can't believe after the way he was ousted he doesn't want to at least stay at this level, if not make a run upwards (and he's got the resume to at least pull an pro assistantship or a minor league head gig).

*And we would know the exact moment when that happens, for we be able to hear the seismic screams of joy down here in Connecticut if Whitehead is formally canned.

Reaction Score
Gwoz wouldn't go to Anchorage, Maine might be another story, but they've got a guy in the family in Jim Montgomery that most fans want. But it could be an option.

If Gwoz was genuinely interested in the UConn job and Warde didn't hire him, that would be a failure of epic proportions. You guys want to look serious to the B1G? Gwoz is very, very well known and respected among B1G coaches, and it would be a clear sign that we're serious about upgrading the hockey program, and not just becoming the next UMass.

Reaction Score
Gwoz wouldn't go to Anchorage, Maine might be another story, but they've got a guy in the family in Jim Montgomery that most fans want. But it could be an option.

If Gwoz was genuinely interested in the UConn job and Warde didn't hire him, that would be a failure of epic proportions. You guys want to look serious to the B1G? Gwoz is very, very well known and respected among B1G coaches, and it would be a clear sign that we're serious about upgrading the hockey program, and not just becoming the next UMass.
Agree. If he has an interest you'd have to give him a serious look. Even if he doesn't, I think you'd have to contact him and ask.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah Sullivan was one of the candidates, but has never coached the college game, and hasn't even been involved in anything at the collegiate level since he left BU in the early '90s.

Didn't know Warde directly oversaw the program when he was at Michigan. Certainly, it's a big time program there, but he didn't have to hire anyone since Red Berenson has been there for ages, but at the very least he would seem to be in touch with the sport and know Gwoz's name and understand his accomplishments. Still doesn't mean we'll get him, he may want to wait for a better college job to open, or to even try his hand at an NHL job, specifically if the Avs can Sacco at some point soon.

I think Warde was heavily involved in the Yost renovations.

Gwozdecky would be a great hire, but I fear UConn isn't shooting that high. They should.

Reaction Score
I think Warde was heavily involved in the Yost renovations.

Gwozdecky would be a great hire, but I fear UConn isn't shooting that high. They should.
I don't know that that's the case. I don't think they ever expected a guy of his stature to be available really. But here's the thing about college hockey...there is not a ton of movement. It isn't like basketball where there are a bunch of openings at every level and people are always moving up, down or out. Seems like BU had their guy lined up before Jack Parker even made his announcement. Supposedly BC has their replacement lined up for whenever York decides to hang it up which might not be ever! And its not like there are many levels, either. So unlike football or basketball, the head coach at Quinnipiac isn't going to have lots of opportunities to move up to to a bigger name program, partly because there aren't many and partly because coaches don't leave, even if they have the occasional bad year. If the head coach of Quinny's hoop team miraculously got a team to the final four, or even the Sweet 16, he'd almost assuredly get offers from much bigger programs. All of that is a complicated way of saying that this is likely a long term choice. At least 5 and probably closer to 10 years. They will be looking for someone who will grow the program and who is willing to be in it for the long term, recognizing that there will likely be more downs than ups for the first few seaosns in Hockey East.

Reaction Score
I don't know that that's the case. I don't think they ever expected a guy of his stature to be available really. But here's the thing about college hockey...there is not a ton of movement. It isn't like basketball where there are a bunch of openings at every level and people are always moving up, down or out. Seems like BU had their guy lined up before Jack Parker even made his announcement. .
FS, great point, I'm sure we can get into a debate on the reasons for that lack of movement, but at its core is the lack of big money like bball and fball, but I wonder if that will change in the future as college hockey seems like the next sport that could move from its niche following into the limelight with the BIG 10 sure to push hcokey on its network and the new NCHC contract. Part of me hopes college hockey stays a niche sport. The NHL tried that mainstream thing and we all now how well that worked. Granted, far more people I know watched the college hockey this past weekend and I don't think it was just because of QU and Yale being from CT. Guy in my office from UVA said he watched and I asked how he found it. He said ESPNU is programed into his favorites and he was surprised how much he liked it. Visibility at work.

Reaction Score
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/4/2/4174298/reaction-to-george-gwozdeckys-firing

UConn mention...

"There are some more intriguing options out east though. The most obvious might be Connecticut, who is currently searching for a new head coach after head coach Bruce Marshall resigned midseason due to health reasons. The Huskies will be moving to Hockey East, and nothing would help raise their program to national prominence more than hiring a big name coach with Gwozdecky's impressive resume. It would be a challenge to build the UConn program from where it is now to a Hockey East contender, and any hockey coach there is likely fourth banana behind football and men's and women's basketball."

Great discussions here... any chance mods move this under Olympic Sports Forum so we don't lose track of it?

Reaction Score
We have UConn families now, families where little kids go to UConn baseball games with parents and are all wearing UConn gear. When Roy Kramer said we have SEC potential, he sure was correct. SEC has track. We have hockey. Hockey is definitely way more popular than track. College hockey is also more popular than college baseball, too. I prefer not to say this, but access to games is an issue for those who are beyond New Haven and Hartford counties. 2 hour drive to Storrs from some areas in western CT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It would be a challenge to build the UConn program from where it is now to a Hockey East contender, and any hockey coach there is likely fourth banana behind football and men's and women's basketball."

Make that 5th banana, behind soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown