UConn's next 5 games | The Boneyard

UConn's next 5 games

Reaction Score
Well, looking at their next 5 games, they play Georgia Tech (6-2) away on 12/9, then UCLA (5-2) in New Jersey on 12/11, then #10 Louisville (7-1) at Mohegan Sun on 12/19, then Marquette (6-2) in Hartford on 12/29, and DePaul (6-2) away on 12/31. Louisville is the toughest test but they could struggle in any of these games especially without Paige who makes everything happen.

Reaction Score
Well, looking at their next 5 games, they play Georgia Tech (6-2) away on 12/9, then UCLA (5-2) in New Jersey on 12/11, then #10 Louisville (7-1) at Mohegan Sun on 12/19, then Marquette (6-2) in Hartford on 12/29, and DePaul (6-2) away on 12/31. Louisville is the toughest test but they could struggle in any of these games especially without Paige who makes everything happen.
clearly a tough stretch but I'd like to think if they can get through it unscathed it will only make the team that much stronger when Fudd, Griffin and hopefully Paige return to the lineup.......

Reaction Score
I understand the Angst of possibly not having Paige. There may be a plus side to this (if there could be one: It is possible, (REMOTE) that the 4 other starters, with Caroline, Edwards, Muhl will find the energy and ability to step up their game to compensate. CW is a real talent, Edwards is a real talent, Caroline showed today she can do it under pressure situation. Paige, everyone says: Needs a rest at least until the big important games. I detest that she may not be 100 percent quickly--we can be positive or negative, it is within us.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I understand the Angst of possibly not having Paige. There may be a plus side to this (if there could be one: It is possible, (REMOTE) that the 4 other starters, with Caroline, Edwards, Muhl will find the energy and ability to step up their game to compensate. CW is a real talent, Edwards is a real talent, Caroline showed today she can do it under pressure situation. Paige, everyone says: Needs a rest at least until the big important games. I detest that she may not be 100 percent quickly--we can be positive or negative, it is within us.
You know who I would like to see step up? No...sorry. My pick would be Evina. She needs to take charge on the court and lead by example. In the past she has shown us her ability to knock down 3s, drive to the hoop and score using those tear drop shots, deal out some assists and do some rebounding. And by the way, same can be said of Christyn.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The team looked so much better today than they have thus far this season, I think they'll find a way to play well without Paige.

I'm hoping that a switch has finally been thrown for Caroline and Nika. I'm hoping Olivia continues to be on the same mission she was on today. I hate to say it, but I'm with Ball n . If this team learns to win without Paige, imagine what they'll look like with her back and (fingers crossed) healthy.

Reaction Score
Liv's best game this season- she really brought it today. Watching the replay, I'm also noticing how much banging that Juhacz (sp?) does. She is physical and that is great. I wonder if Liv has improved her game because of going against Juhacz in practice? Would love for UConn to get tougher and not just be a finesse team. The one person who seemed to underperform today, at least offensively, was Christyn who passed up a lot of shots. Still solid defensively as usual though.

Reaction Score
I can only speak to Marquette, having watched Colorado beat them by 16. They kept it close through three quarters but got blown away in fourth. Colorado used ten players against them, with nine getting extensive minutes, applying constant pressure. Defensively, Marquette couldn’t handle 6’ 3” Mya with 22 points and ten rebounds. I would guess UConn could handle them without Paige. Colorado had 14 steals and 8 blocks so they are vulnerable to fast guards.

Reaction Score
I can only speak to Marquette, having watched Colorado beat them by 16. They kept it close through three quarters but got blown away in fourth. Colorado used ten players against them, with nine getting extensive minutes, applying constant pressure. Defensively, Marquette couldn’t handle 6’ 3” Mya with 22 points and ten rebounds. I would guess UConn could handle them without Paige. Colorado had 14 steals and 8 blocks so they are vulnerable to fast guards.
6 blocks, that is. This could be a good game for Caroline who gives indications of being able, like Mya, of scoring from any place on floor.

Reaction Score
UCLA is overrated. They are bereft with injuries and are fortunate to have the record they do. If it had to happen, it is too bad Paiges injury did not happen at the start of league play, they would have no problem beating those teams without her.

sun

Reaction Score
If I don't expect the team to win any games then I won't be disappointed if they lose.
That way if they win, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
That's how folks can practice emotional damage control.
Try it, you might like it.

Reaction Score
Not unlike the workplace when you lose your best contributor which tends to have others play a backseat role. Opportunity knocks and there’s usually one or two that accept the challenge and step up. We’ll see.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
UCLA and Georgia Tech were both ranked and picked to finish 3rd in the respective conferences. In large part due to injuries, both squads have had multiple surprising losses and have since dropped out of the rankings.

Reaction Score
Maybe this will wind up in a separate thread, BUT:
Who is going to be the 5th starter on Thursday if Paige can't go?
I'm not silly enough to say "Who is going to replace Paige?"
Nika? Caroline? Aubrey (if she is physically ready)?

Reaction Score
My guess, Nika.
First guard entering foul problem zone, out they come and in goes another big ( Dorka?).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You know who I would like to see step up? No...sorry. My pick would be Evina. She needs to take charge on the court and lead by example. In the past she has shown us her ability to knock down 3s, drive to the hoop and score using those tear drop shots, deal out some assists and do some rebounding. And by the way, same can be said of Christyn.
The entire senior class (Evina, Christyn, Liv and Dorka) will need to step up. This is now their season to make something of-which is the way it should have been from the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
The entire senior class (Evina, Christyn, Liv and Dorka) will need to step up. This is now their season to make something of-which is the way it should have been from the beginning of the season.
my take I always felt transfers at Uconn are not the best idea. I always feel they start behind the 8th ball, and don't know their role. Mostly due to the fact that Uconn was not interested in that player at 1st or the player did not feel Uconn was their best option when committing. Even Azura always felt like she didn't feel part of the team. I think transfers work, but not at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Not sure it matters who gets the starting nod if Paige can’t play. This team will need point production from whoever is on the floor. They will probably be rotated until someone can knock down some buckets.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
my take I always felt transfers at Uconn are not the best idea. I always feel they start behind the 8th ball, and don't know their role. Mostly due to the fact that Uconn was not interested in that player at 1st or the player did not feel Uconn was their best option when committing. Even Azura always felt like she didn't feel part of the team. I think transfers work, but not at Uconn.
My take is it doesn't matter how they got here! They are here now and they ALL need to step up.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Maybe this will wind up in a separate thread, BUT:
Who is going to be the 5th starter on Thursday if Paige can't go?
I'm not silly enough to say "Who is going to replace Paige?"
Nika? Caroline? Aubrey (if she is physically ready)?

If they decide to start with Evina running the point, I think Dorka starts. If they want to sub another guard, I think it'll be Nika.

Reaction Score
Are you speaking for her or do you have a link to where she ever said that?

Reaction Score
The timelines for our injured players isn't clear. Paige anywhere from a game or two, to out for the season. The status for Azzi and Aubrey seems to be game to game, but I don't remember anything definitive as to when they can be expected to be cleared for action.

For the short term we have Paige's 38 minutes a game to fill. Coming off her performance against ND, I'd think Caroline Ducharme should be the main beneficiary as she clearly can impact a game more than Nika can. I'd love to see Azzi and Aubrey get well and get some playing time. Azzi will be able to get back into bball shape fairly quickly; Aubrey will need time to get her game and conditioning up to par after her long layoff.

If GA has to find a long term lineup without Paige he'll have to completely rethink how this team can win hard games. Caroline Ducharme and Azzi, if she recovers soon enough, seem like the best bets to keep the team high functioning.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The timelines for our injured players isn't clear. Paige anywhere from a game or two, to out for the season. The status for Azzi and Aubrey seems to be game to game, but I don't remember anything definitive as to when they can be expected to be cleared for action.
The timelines for the injured players is very clear.
Paige will have an MRI likely today.
Azzi will be reevaluated by the medical staff on 15 December.
Aubrey had a setback in practice on December 2nd and will be reevaluated this week.
Anything beyond that is not a time line it is speculation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom