UConn's newcomers, competitive firepower could make the Huskies tougher to beat | The Boneyard

UConn's newcomers, competitive firepower could make the Huskies tougher to beat

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“I want to improve my talking, my leadership and my ability to use that in big moments, not shrivel up and just let everybody else do everything for me. I've got to go out there and lead and just be there for my teammates.” ~ Paige Bueckers

A 28-2 record and a Final Four appearance are the starting points for this year’s UConn team, and then when you add into the mix the acquisition of much-needed experience among the returners and the potential contributions of the squad's four newcomers, which appear promising... the Huskies could be that much tougher to beat.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I've NEVER re-watched a game that UConn lost. I don't need to experience that anguish and frustration again. Once was enough. With 7 freshmen and 2 sophomores, they were a young team last year. We mentioned it in our comments several times throughout the season. The "UConn" across the front of their jerseys will intimidate some teams, some it won't.

They didn't scare or intimidate Arkansas or Arizona. Both of these teams had enough upperclassmen so as not to be intimidated. Arizona had 3 seniors and a red shirt junior. Arkansas had 3 seniors, a red-shirt senior, and 2 red-shirt juniors. This UConn team will field 2 seniors (ONO & Williams), a red-shirt senior (Westbrook) and a graduate senior (Juhász).

UConn has seniors and several other players that are ready willing and able to take on a leadership role. They have a "bad taste" in their mouths and a chip on their shoulder this year. Collectively the team is angry about how Arizona crushed their dreams and goal of winning the national championship last year. Let's see if that anger and resolve carries over to the coming season. The seniors all say THEY know what happened, and have vowed not to let it happen again. Can they get their younger teammates to realize and understand their point of view, and the sense of urgency they need to play with all season? THAT'S the challenge.

I love Christyn's attitude and mindset going into this season. “I’m trying to kill everybody on the court,” Williams said, who averaged 16.9 points in her final 10 games of last season. “That’s it. I know I’m like, Ha ha, hee hee; but, I’ve got to kick some ass if we’re being completely honest here." :mad: Personally, I like that kind of talk coming from ANY UConn player. As Geno said recently in regards to Paige wanting to let the game come to her: "Don't wait." Paraphrasing: While you're waiting for the game to come to you, somebody on the other team is taking it.....to us. :confused:

UConn's preseason schedule should tell us right away in the first 8-9 games what kind of team we have this year. Top ranked teams Notre Dame, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Oregon, and Louisville will be on the schedule in November and December. The South Carolina game (and one other OOC game) is usually scheduled for January/February. The UConn women will also play in the Battle 4 Atlantis on Paradise Island in Nassau, Bahamas the week of Thanksgiving.

Other teams in that tournament are: Buffalo, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Florida, and Syracuse. Since UConn is already contractually obligated to play Oregon and South Carolina this season, they won't be scheduled to play them in this tournament. We should know by the Christmas break (a 7-8 game sample) EXACTLY what kind of team this team is.

ESPN's Charlie Creme has UConn the #1 team in his "Way too early top 25" WCBB teams for the coming season. This may be the best team Geno has had since Stewart and Co. graduated in 2016. :) South Carolina is ranked #2, Stanford #3, Baylor #4* and Maryland #5.

*This article was written on April 4, 2021, three weeks before Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey announced she was leaving Baylor for LSU (and taking 2 players - Ursin & Gusters with her) on April 25.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1625856431270.png
I fully expect Geno to see to it that his season ends with him doing this. I am not sure though who will be the recipient of his flying self. Maybe Piath. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
View attachment 68464 I fully expect Geno to see to it that his season ends with him doing this. I am not sure though who will be the recipient of his flying self. Maybe Piath. :)
I agree, but I'm not sure Geno can jump THAT high anymore?!? :confused: That looks like Brittany Griner making the catch with Sylvia Fowles looking on, after they won the GOLD in 2016. Maya Moore, Lindsay Whalen and
Tamika Catchings were on that team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FF will be a cakewalk for this team. What matters is winning the last 2 games of the season...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
FF will be a cakewalk for this team. What matters is winning the last 2 games of the season...
We all know what the goal is, but when the season finally starts its one game at a time. Lets savor every game and not even think about March. The team needs to jell with all the new players to get where we want to go. This could be a season to remember, take it slow, and like I said, savor every game and win we get.

Reaction Score
I've NEVER re-watched a game that UConn lost. I don't need to experience that anguish and frustration again. Once was enough. With 7 freshmen and 2 sophomores, they were a young team last year. We mentioned it in our comments several times throughout the season. The "UConn" across the front of their jerseys will intimidate some teams, some it won't.

They didn't scare or intimidate Arkansas or Arizona. Both of these teams had enough upperclassmen so as not to be intimidated. Arizona had 3 seniors and a red shirt junior. Arkansas had 3 seniors, a red-shirt senior, and 2 red-shirt juniors. This UConn team will field 2 seniors (ONO & Williams), a red-shirt senior (Westbrook) and a graduate senior (Juhász).

UConn has seniors and several other players that are ready willing and able to take on a leadership role. They have a "bad taste" in their mouths and a chip on their shoulder this year. Collectively the team is angry about how Arizona crushed their dreams and goal of winning the national championship last year. Let's see if that anger and resolve carries over to the coming season. The seniors all say THEY know what happened, and have vowed not to let it happen again. Can they get their younger teammates to realize and understand their point of view, and the sense of urgency they need to play with all season? THAT'S the challenge.

I love Christyn's attitude and mindset going into this season. “I’m trying to kill everybody on the court,” Williams said, who averaged 16.9 points in her final 10 games of last season. “That’s it. I know I’m like, Ha ha, hee hee; but, I’ve got to kick some ass if we’re being completely honest here." :mad: Personally, I like that kind of talk coming from ANY UConn player. As Geno said recently in regards to Paige wanting to let the game come to her: "Don't wait." Paraphrasing: While you're waiting for the game to come to you, somebody on the other team is taking it.....to us. :confused:

UConn's preseason schedule should tell us right away in the first 8-9 games what kind of team we have this year. Top ranked teams Notre Dame, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Oregon, and Louisville will be on the schedule in November and December. The South Carolina game (and one other OOC game) is usually scheduled for January/February. The UConn women will also play in the Battle 4 Atlantis on Paradise Island in Nassau, Bahamas the week of Thanksgiving.

Other teams in that tournament are: Buffalo, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Florida, and Syracuse. Since UConn is already contractually obligated to play Oregon and South Carolina this season, they won't be scheduled to play them in this tournament. We should know by the Christmas break (a 7-8 game sample) EXACTLY what kind of team this team is.

ESPN's Charlie Creme has UConn the #1 team in his "Way too early top 25" WCBB teams for the coming season. This may be the best team Geno has had since Stewart and Co. graduated in 2016. :) South Carolina is ranked #2, Stanford #3, Baylor #4* and Maryland #5.

*This article was written on April 4, 2021, three weeks before Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey announced she was leaving Baylor for LSU (and taking 2 players - Ursin & Gusters with her) on April 25.
I like it - a lot. Mindset and attitude are key to success in any endeavor; having a killer instinct is often the difference between wannabes and champions. I believe Renee Montgomery said in one of the Undefeated episodes about the UConn teams in one of those seasons that she and her teammates would tell each other to start the game on a 10-0 run or something like that in order to send a clear message to their opponent that night. And they did that most nights. This 21-22 team has the physical abilities and skill set; having that killer mentality every game will help them hoist a championship trophy in April.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like it - a lot. Mindset and attitude are key to success in any endeavor; having a killer instinct is often the difference between wannabes and champions. I believe Renee Montgomery said in one of the Undefeated episodes about the UConn teams in one of those seasons that she and her teammates would tell each other to start the game on a 10-0 run or something like that in order to send a clear message to their opponent that night. And they did that most nights. This 21-22 team has the physical abilities and skill set; having that killer mentality every game will help them hoist a championship trophy in April.
I recall reading that Maya viewed part of her job as helping to get her team an early lead. I recall many games in which Maya had outscored the opposition at the first TV timeout. We could have used that against Arizona east spring.

In the 2014 World Cup in Istanbul, Maya had an early scoring spurt in the finals against Spain. She got us out to an early lead of about 10 points. Spain basically played us even after that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the regular season to start. I think I will enjoy the scores the prognosticators have this year. We might even have a 100 point win prediction or two. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom