UConn's New Big Three | The Boneyard

UConn's New Big Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Carl Adamec's article today:

"UConn had a Big Three again -- for one night, anyway. Samuelson (career high 29), Collier (22), and Williams (career high matching 19) combined for 70 points in Tuesday night's win.

The most points All-Americans Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, and Moriah Jefferson combined for in the 31 games they played together a year ago (Tuck missed five games, Stewart and Jefferson one each) was 63 against Notre Dame. They also combined for 61 in the national championship game win over Syracuse.

Their best career combination was 70 against Texas in the 2015 NCAA Albany Regional semifinals when Stewart had 31, Jefferson 25, and Tuck 14. And that was with sharing the ball with another two-time All-American in Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis."

Williams silences referees' whistles

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know whats really scary about UConn. Next season we have Camara and Stevens and Stevens should be POY. We have our current roster losing Chong and TLaw. We have Walker leading our freshman class and we have a big problem?? Who starts??? Think about how good UConn will be next season . WOW ????????????????????

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So a junior and two sophomores just combined for 70 points, which matched the most that top 3 WNBA picks ever had in their careers! Damn, that is impressive!

In terms of a Big 3, I think the Little 1 is the difference maker. She's Mario Andretti out there.

Reaction Score
My appreciation for Gabbie Williams grows with each game. She has fully embraced her 3-4 role (a natural 2 guard coming out of HS) on this team, and is like a "swiss army knife", capable at various skills as the situation demands. And utterly fearless.

Reaction Score
I think the new big 3 is KLS, Crystal Dangerfield, and Collier based on positioning.

Reaction Score
You know whats really scary about UConn. Next season we have Camara and Stevens and Stevens should be POY. We have our current roster losing Chong and TLaw. We have Walker leading our freshman class and we have a big problem?? Who starts??? Think about how good UConn will be next season . WOW ????????????????????
Next season Notre Dame and South Carolina will have excellent seniors in Turner and Wilson. They might challenge Stevens unless she is all that and a bag of chips....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The most impressive stat in the Dayton game was that Gabby Williams played 26 minutes and did not commit a single foul, but still remained effective.
If Gabby can stay on the floor and out of foul trouble, that will give Geno more leeway in his substitution choices. Since there's no one on the bench that can do the things Gaby can, she needs to be on the floor as much as possible.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A big secret in UCOnns lineup this season is their quickness under the basket. Tall players get in foul trouble because UConn underneath has so many quick moves to get around them. If UConn continues to attack the paint opponents are going to have to play really good defense and if they do they will still one on one get into foul trouble. Its just a matter of law of averages. UConns ability to hit treys opens up the middle which allows UConn to use their quickness to take bigs one on one. This is a key especially against teams like SC ND and MD. If those teams dont come out and guard UConn they could get beat by UConns effectiveness to hit treys. Its going to be an exciting season especially the next 6 weeks. I like our chances alot.

Reaction Score
From Carl Adamec's article today:
"UConn had a Big Three again -- for one night, anyway. Samuelson (career high 29), Collier (22), and Williams (career high matching 19) combined for 70 points in Tuesday night's win.
Hate to be a Thanksgiving Day party pooper, but this actually reveals this year's weakness, because this year's big 3 needs to score more than last year's. Assuming (a huge assumption!) that this year's big 3 is as good as last year's, this year's consists of two players who were on the bench last year and who got plenty of playing time and scoring. We simply don't have similar talent on the bench this year. Whether Crystal or Saniya starts, it's really Saniya who is the sub; and the other important sub is Natalie. Does either Saniya or Natalie so far measure up to Gabby or Pheesa from last year?

Barring additional improvement in Natalie, the sudden capacity of Saniya to play her best basketball consistently, or a leap by Molly & Kyla, this year's starting 5 (which effectively includes Crystal) will need to play very long minutes and avoid injury if it wants to go far. Because, unlike last year's team, there is absolutely no margin of error (like a broken foot in the semis and not missing a beat).

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Next season Notre Dame and South Carolina will have excellent seniors in Turner and Wilson. They might challenge Stevens unless she is all that and a bag of chips....
IMO Wilson might challenge but unless Turner expands her game, I don't think she will be in the top three.

Reaction Score
We. Ask ally have the big 7 as this will be the rotation for the main games...we need those core 7 to stay healthy and we'll be ok come tournament time...

Reaction Score
Geno always STARTS experience---with rare exceptions--Stevens cannot be denied--experienced, Dangerfield will be experienced, KLS, Collier, Gabby EXPERIENCED. With that roster--generous substitutions --. I agree WOW!!

Reaction Score
Hate to be a Thanksgiving Day party pooper, but this actually reveals this year's weakness, because this year's big 3 needs to score more than last year's. Assuming (a huge assumption!) that this year's big 3 is as good as last year's, this year's consists of two players who were on the bench last year and who got plenty of playing time and scoring. We simply don't have similar talent on the bench this year. Whether Crystal or Saniya starts, it's really Saniya who is the sub; and the other important sub is Natalie. Does either Saniya or Natalie so far measure up to Gabby or Pheesa from last year?

Barring additional improvement in Natalie, the sudden capacity of Saniya to play her best basketball consistently, or a leap by Molly & Kyla, this year's starting 5 (which effectively includes Crystal) will need to play very long minutes and avoid injury if it wants to go far. Because, unlike last year's team, there is absolutely no margin of error (like a broken foot in the semis and not missing a beat).

I've learned never to disagree with people who know more than I about a subject; I, in my myopic viewing, see the above differently.

If that broken foot comes (again) one tier down, as it did last year---Kyla, Molly --they may not skip a beat. (yea, not exactly the same tier)..
Comparing Soph's one jr to 3 Seniors who played 6 years together--is a stretch. That's the dirty little truth fans forgot about Morgan, Moriah, Stewie--they played Under's USA, USA then 4 years at Uconn--Chemistry. To under state the effect of playing many years of BB together is missing a winning ingredient. Of course top level talent must be in the mix--and they were

Your BARRING para--if a player does not make significant increase almost on a yearly basis--nuff sed!! Without those leaps --experienced players can and do fill a need and randomly excel beyond expectations. In circumstances as these--you make the most of what you have--and don't dwell on any missing parts.

Reaction Score
The most impressive stat in the Dayton game was that Gabby Williams played 26 minutes and did not commit a single foul, but still remained effective.
If Gabby can stay on the floor and out of foul trouble, that will give Geno more leeway in his substitution choices. Since there's no one on the bench that can do the things Gaby can, she needs to be on the floor as much as possible.
Gabby had only ONE big to contend with---is learning who to get the job done and not foul--with bigger teams, as aggressive (that's what makes her great) style --she'll foul--the trick is to then stay in the game--bet you new Mercedes she is being lectured to 'stay in the game".
To expect a 5-10 an a 6-1 to defend and defeat 6-3 or larger is expecting a bit too much.

Reaction Score
So a junior and two sophomores just combined for 70 points, which matched the most that top 3 WNBA picks ever had in their careers! Damn, that is impressive!

In terms of a Big 3, I think the Little 1 is the difference maker. She's Mario Andretti out there.
I like the notion of a big three, especially if we keep the competition guessing as to who those three are going to be in any particular game!

Reaction Score
Let us not forget in Huskies win by 2 over FSU 78-76 Soniya Scored points 71 72 73 74 75 with Natalie on the boards with Gabbie and Lou on the Bench! its called TEAM

Reaction Score
I always hear people talking about Turner from nd as a great player but i don't watch many nd games and she seems to be hurt everytime they play uconn. Does she have an outside game or a great dribble drive game? To be honest i would take anyone of the new big three over her. Another question is if Maryland is supposed to be a great team this year then why do they have the weakest schedule of the top 10 teams?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Let us not forget in Huskies win by 2 over FSU 78-76 Soniya Scored points 71 72 73 74 75 with Natalie on the boards with Gabbie and Lou on the Bench! its called TEAM
And if not for the foul farce at the end, Saniya's gutsy three would have been the coup de grace.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
T.E.A.M. Together Everybody Achieves More I learned this a long time ago and it never ever gets old.

Reaction Score
I am almost ready to talk about our big three and a half. Soon to be our big three and three quarters. Didn't someone write on these pages that Xtal is bigger than any bear and more Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom