UCONN's Mt. Rushmore | The Boneyard

UCONN's Mt. Rushmore

Who should be the 4th player on UCONN's Mt. Rushmore?

• Tina Charles

• Rebecca Lobo

• Kerry Bascomb

• Sue Bird

• Moriah Jefferson

• Nykesha Sales

• Svetlana Abrosimova

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hate to narrow it down to only 4 but... Someone suggested we do a poll. I think we did this once before, but for anyone who is new...

Let's say for the sake of argument that Dee, Maya, and Stewie are the holy trinity and automatically chosen (one would be hard pressed to find anyone who would argue against any one of that trio). So of the 7 choices below, we need to find the 4th candidate for Mt. Rushmore.

Please keep in mind I'm not asking about the "most important" UCONN recruit/player. I think everyone will agree that Lobo was probably the most important commitment in UCONN's history - she really was the first nationally recognized top player to choose to come play for newbie Geno Auriemma and helped set the stage for future high school stars to come to UCONN.

What I'm asking people to vote for is the player who they think had the best accomplishments and best career as a UCONN player.

Tina - NPOY, 2x AA, #3 UCONN scoring
Rebecca - NPOY, 2xAA, #9 UCONN scoring
Kerry - 1xAA, #8 UCONN scoring
Sue - NPOY, 2x AA, 3X Lieberman award, #5 UCONN assists
Moriah - 2X AA, 1x AA Honorable mention, 2X Lieberman award, #1 UCONN assists, NDPOY
Nykesha - 2xAA, #4 UCONN scoring, #1 UCONN steals
Sveta - 3xAA (all 1st team honors), #12 UCONN scoring

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tough choices, but my 4h choice would be Ms Sales due to her impact and the fact that she was also a 2X Big East Defensive Player of the Year. I do not recall defense being stressed/emphasized as much until she came along.

Reaction Score
I would just say all of the above. All are winners and we are so lucky to had them. Go UConn. Lets hope we will have many more fine young ladies to put on the lists.

Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom. Without Bascom no Final 4 in '91, no Lobo, no interest in UCONN basketball, Geno and CD move on after 4 years.

Reaction Score
1st Team - Sue, DT, Maya, Stewie, Tina

1540865717978.png

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great players you list, Eric, but Mo was the only NDPOY among them, I believe. She gets shortchanged by having played with the great Stewie.

Question for all: When Stewie was a freshman, did we have Mt. Rushmore discussions? If so, who other than Dee and Maya were selected?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Great players you list, Eric, but Mo was the only NDPOY among them, I believe. She gets shortchanged by having played with the great Stewie.

Question for all: When Stewie was a freshman, did we have Mt. Rushmore discussions? If so, who other than Dee and Maya were selected?
There have been Rushmore discussions every year there have been POY type players for the last 20 years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hate to narrow it down to only 4 but... Someone suggested we do a poll. I think we did this once before, but for anyone who is new...

Let's say for the sake of argument that Dee, Maya, and Stewie are the holy trinity and automatically chosen (one would be hard pressed to find anyone who would argue against any one of that trio). So of the 7 choices below, we need to find the 4th candidate for Mt. Rushmore.

Please keep in mind I'm not asking about the "most important" UCONN recruit/player. I think everyone will agree that Lobo was probably the most important commitment in UCONN's history - she really was the first nationally recognized top player to choose to come play for newbie Geno Auriemma and helped set the stage for future high school stars to come to UCONN.

What I'm asking people to vote for is the player who they think had the best accomplishments and best career as a UCONN player.

Tina - NPOY, 2x AA, #3 UCONN scoring
Rebecca - NPOY, 2xAA, #9 UCONN scoring
Kerry - 1xAA, #8 UCONN scoring
Sue - NPOY, 2x AA, 3X Lieberman award, #5 UCONN assists
Moriah - 2X AA, 1x AA Honorable mention, 2X Lieberman award, #1 UCONN assists
Nykesha - 2xAA, #4 UCONN scoring, #1 UCONN steals
Sveta - 3xAA (all 1st team honors), #12 UCONN scoring

Thanks Eric, you da man. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
There have been Rushmore discussions every year there have been POY type players for the last 20 years.

True, but we keep getting new posters joining the BY every year that have their own ideas of who belongs on the mount. Rushmore talk always generates discussion and debate on who belongs, and who doesn’t which is always good on slow news days/weeks. To question your question, isn’t Sue Bird already enshrined? :eek: If not, why not? I thought she was.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Lobo or Jefferson is my pick if you're going on UCONN careers. Lobo really put UCONN on the map, Jefferson is the best collegiate PG in UCONN history.

Bird has established a great legacy as a pro and Olympian, but collegiately head to head Jefferson beats her out pretty handily. Jefferson won 4 titles to Bird's 2, better A/TO, more efficient as a scorer, and she was a far superior defender than Sue. Her 2014-2016 title teams were more dominant than Bird's 2000-2002 teams despite having comparable talent. Jefferson also likely wins POY in 2016 if Stewart isn't on her team, and she should've won Final Four MOP in 2015.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You can make a good argument for so many different Huskies as the 4th member of UConn’s Mt Rushmore. I’ll keep voting for Rebecca until someone clearly establishes themselves in a class with DT, Maya & Stewie.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You can make a good argument for so many different Huskies as the 4th member of UConn’s Mt Rushmore. I’ll keep voting for Rebecca until someone clearly establishes themselves in a class with DT, Maya & Stewie.

I thought there were already 4 players on the mount. If I understand correctly (correct me if I'm wrong here), once you are enshrined on UConn's mount, you cannot be taken off, is that correct? :eek:

I'm surprised that Rebecca is leading the vote getting. I thought Sue would garner most of the votes. It's interesting that none of the other "old guard" players (Bascom, Sales, & Svet) are gettting much support. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that Rebecca is leading the vote getting. I thought Sue would garner most of the votes. It's interesting that none of the other "old guard" players (Bascomb, Sales, & Svet) are gettting much support. Go Rebecca! :)
While you can make a case for a number of UConn players as #4 all time, I think Rebecca gets the edge in part because she figuratively serves the roll of “Ambassador of UConn WBB” as an ESPN commentator. Rebecca has remained close to the program all these many years and she is the epitome of class and intelligence.

Carnac

Reaction Score
While you can make a case for a number of UConn players as #4 all time, I think Rebecca gets the edge in part because she figuratively serves the roll of “Ambassador of UConn WBB” as an ESPN commentator. Rebecca has remained close to the program all these many years and she is the epitome of class and intelligence.

You'll get no argument from me. :)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Agreed, I voted for Moriah.

Reaction Score
I thought there were already 4 players on the mount. If I understand correctly (correct me if I'm wrong here), once you are enshrined on UConn's mount, you cannot be taken off, is that correct? :eek:

I'm surprised that Rebecca is leading the vote getting. I thought Sue would garner most of the votes. It's interesting that none of the other "old guard" players (Bascomb, Sales, & Svet) are gettting much support. :)
No surprise that Bascom gets no support. Her name isn't even spelled right. Most of the new bandwagon fans have no idea how good she was. Remember, Auriemma said on his show to her face that if he needed one player of his to take a last shot to win, it would be her. IMO, she's the toughest mentally and physically to play at UConn.

Reaction Score
How come some players in the table are shaded and some aren't? Those you avoid because you owe money to and those you don't? Those you have autographed photos of and those you don't? Those you've sent autographed photos to and those you haven't? Just curious.

shaded = Wall of Honor

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I did a poll earlier this year. Didn't get as many voters as I should have. But here were the results:

PG - 1 - Bird/Jefferson (dead tie), 3 - Rizzotti, 4 - Montgomery, 5 - Conlon
SG - 1 - Taurasi, 2 - Sales, 3 - Ralph, 4 - Hartley, 5 - Hayes
SF - 1 - Moore, 2 - Abrosimova, 3 - KLS, 4 - KML, 5 - Greene
PF - 1 - Stewart, 2 - Lobo, 3 - Bascom, 4 - Cash, 5 - GWilliams
C - 1 - Charles, 2 - Wolters, 3 - Dolson, 4 - Moore, 5 - Stokes/Schumaker

Overall vote
1. Stewart
2. Taurasi
3. Moore
4. Bird/Charles (dead heat again)
6. Lobo
7. Jefferson
8. Rizzotti
9. Sales
10. Abrosimova

Reaction Score
I would be inclined to leave the fourth spot vacant until another transcendent player
comes along. Maybe CW will be that player, but I think number four hasn't been
recruited yet.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I did a poll earlier this year. Didn't get as many voters as I should have. But here were the results:

PG - 1 - Bird/Jefferson (dead tie), 3 - Rizzotti, 4 - Montgomery, 5 - Conlon
SG - 1 - Taurasi, 2 - Sales, 3 - Ralph, 4 - Hartley, 5 - Hayes
SF - 1 - Moore, 2 - Abrosimova, 3 - KLS, 4 - KML, 5 - Greene
PF - 1 - Stewart, 2 - Lobo, 3 - Bascom, 4 - Cash, 5 - GWilliams
C - 1 - Charles, 2 - Wolters, 3 - Dolson, 4 - Moore, 5 - Stokes/Schumaker

Overall vote
1. Stewart
2. Taurasi
3. Moore
4. Bird/Charles (dead heat again)
6. Lobo
7. Jefferson
8. Rizzotti
9. Sales
10. Abrosimova
I think you should re-do the poll, but put all 5 of them up at once. I think people got tired out and I think it took you almost 5 weeks to do all 5...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom