UConn's Grind-it-Out Season | The Boneyard

UConn's Grind-it-Out Season

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On the surface, being ranked 4th in the nation at 15-1 is great. Think how delighted the folks in South Bend would be. But it’s undeniable that this team is struggling more than we’re all used to. The beautiful symphony of movement on offense that lead to one easy basket after another has been largely replaced by a grind-it-out effort to score points. Those scoring bursts where UConn overwhelmed opponents, putting the game away early are far less frequent, replaced by closer games where the outcome is often in doubt. What exactly is going on?

We need to start with what’s missing. While UConn has fielded teams that lacked depth, size and/or experience the past few seasons, the Huskies have always fielded a talented starting 5 who could all score, pass and execute the offense. In addition, UConn had several outstanding defenders who could force turnovers, leading to easy transition baskets. Obviously, replacing the highest scoring duo in UConn WBB’s history is a challenge, but not just because of the points Pheesa and Lou scored.

Pheesa was one of the best low post scorers ever. Her ability to establish position, catch any pass and then perfectly execute one of her many scoring moves was the single most important factor in the success of UConn’s half-court offense for the past three seasons. UConn’s offense has bogged down frequently this season, but it’s not like that never happened before. The difference is that in the past few seasons, when the offense bogged down, UConn would simply throw it into the post and Pheesa would do her thing.

As for Lou, we all know she was a great shooter. What we sometimes overlook is that Lou was one of the best passers on the team. While never reluctant to shoot the ball, Lou’s ability to find open teammates with pinpoint passes in the half court or in transition was phenomenal. In addition, Lou never stopped moving. Overplay her at the arc and she would cut hard for easy backdoor layups. Face guard her with a small defender and Lou would flash into the low post to score over that defender.

There have been numerous threads on the BY dealing with recruiting misses and player transfers. Suffice it to say that with the recruiting misses on the top three HS players in the Class of 2019, the transfer of 3 of 4 players from Megan’s class as well as Batouly’s ongoing health issues, Geno was faced with one hell of a challenge fielding a strong team again this season. He signed Aubrey during the regular signing period and then surprised many with a flurry of activity during recruiting’s “second season.” Anna was the first signee outside N.A. since Sveta. Evelyn was the first Graduate transfer ever. Finally, Evina was a significant undergraduate transfer from TN.

After Geno finalized all these additions to the roster, he said something that was both interesting and inciteful. Geno commented, “I think we’re going to be all right.” My take is that Geno had known his roster wasn’t deep enough and all his late additions were a patchwork to hold it together. So what has happened? Evina, who would have been a huge addition this season is not eligible, and even if she were, she might not be healthy. So far, Evelyn hasn’t worked out as hoped for. Aubrey is an incredibly talented athlete, but she is struggling to learn the system, which is not uncommon for a freshman. Anna has started to score more consistently, but the rest of her game is up and down.

Five players can win you a championship if it’s the right 5. Just look at ND 2 years ago. Right now, Geno has 3 players who can probably start for almost any team in the country. Crystal, Megan and Christyn play the most minutes and they carry much of the scoring load for this team. After the Big 3, the lineup is more muddled. Clearly, Liv is critical to the success of this team and she’s had some wonderful games, but until she can hold her own against some of the top post players in the country and stay out of foul trouble, UConn will struggle to win big games.

As far as the 5th starter, I honestly don’t believe UConn has one right now. Kyla has been the placeholder because she knows the offense and the ball moves better with her on the floor, but she’s got to be able to score at least a little or defenses will just back off her. Anna is a similar player to Kyla, and perhaps more versatile. Whether Anna can play 30 minutes a game and be effective remains to be seen. Finally, there is Aubrey. Her athleticism and hustle are exhilarating. But her inability to grasp the offense and her reluctance to shoot the ball are frustrating.

No one is better at preparing a team for a championship run in March than Geno and his staff. Right now, Geno has only three players he can count on. He needs at least five. Whether or not he gets there will determine if UConn makes it back to yet another FF or experiences the earliest exit from the Big Dance in years. At the start of the season, I predicted that UConn would make their 13th straight FF. I’m sticking with that prediction for now, although I must admit my crystal ball is hazier than it was at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
On the surface, being ranked 4th in the nation at 15-1 is great. Think how delighted the folks in South Bend would be. But it’s undeniable that this team is struggling more than we’re all used to. The beautiful symphony of movement on offense that lead to one easy basket after another has been largely replaced by a grind-it-out effort to score points. Those scoring bursts where UConn overwhelmed opponents, putting the game away early are far less frequent, replaced by closer games where the outcome is often in doubt. What exactly is going on?

We need to start with what’s missing. While UConn has fielded teams that lacked depth, size and/or experience the past few seasons, the Huskies have always fielded a talented starting 5 who could all score, pass and execute the offense. In addition, UConn had several outstanding defenders who could force turnovers, leading to easy transition baskets. Obviously, replacing the highest scoring duo in UConn WBB’s history is a challenge, but not just because of the points Pheesa and Lou scored.

Pheesa was one of the best low post scorers ever. Her ability to establish position, catch any pass and then perfectly execute one of her many scoring moves was the single most important factor in the success of UConn’s half-court offense for the past three seasons. UConn’s offense has bogged down frequently this season, but it’s not like that never happened before. The difference is that in the past few seasons, when the offense bogged down, UConn would simply throw it into the post and Pheesa would do her thing.

As for Lou, we all know she was a great shooter. What we sometimes overlook is that Lou was one of the best passers on the team. While never reluctant to shoot the ball, Lou’s ability to find open teammates with pinpoint passes in the half court or in transition was phenomenal. In addition, Lou never stopped moving. Overplay her at the arc and she would cut hard for easy backdoor layups. Face guard her with a small defender and Lou would flash into the low post to score over that defender.

There have been numerous threads on the BY dealing with recruiting misses and player transfers. Suffice it to say that with the recruiting misses on the top three HS players in the Class of 2019, the transfer of 3 of 4 players from Megan’s class as well as Batouly’s ongoing health issues, Geno was faced with one hell of a challenge fielding a strong team again this season. He signed Aubrey during the regular signing period and then surprised many with a flurry of activity during recruiting’s “second season.” Anna was the first signee outside N.A. since Sveta. Evelyn was the first Graduate transfer ever. Finally, Evina was a significant undergraduate transfer from TN.

After Geno finalized all these additions to the roster, he said something that was both interesting and inciteful. Geno commented, “I think we’re going to be all right.” My take is that Geno had known his roster wasn’t deep enough and all his late additions were a patchwork to hold it together. So what has happened? Evina, who would have been a huge addition this season is not eligible, and even if she were, she might not be healthy. So far, Evelyn hasn’t worked out as hoped for. Aubrey is an incredibly talented athlete, but she is struggling to learn the system, which is not uncommon for a freshman. Anna has started to score more consistently, but the rest of her game is up and down.

Five players can win you a championship if it’s the right 5. Just look at ND 2 years ago. Right now, Geno has 3 players who can probably start for almost any team in the country. Crystal, Megan and Christyn play the most minutes and they carry much of the scoring load for this team. After the Big 3, the lineup is more muddled. Clearly, Liv is critical to the success of this team and she’s had some wonderful games, but until she can hold her own against some of the top post players in the country and stay out of foul trouble, UConn will struggle to win big games.

As far as the 5th starter, I honestly don’t believe UConn has one right now. Kyla has been the placeholder because she knows the offense and the ball moves better with her on the floor, but she’s got to be able to score at least a little or defenses will just back off her. Anna is a similar player to Kyla, and perhaps more versatile. Whether Anna can play 30 minutes a game and be effective remains to be seen. Finally, there is Aubrey. Her athleticism and hustle are exhilarating. But her inability to grasp the offense and her reluctance to shoot the ball are frustrating.

No one is better at preparing a team for a championship run in March than Geno and his staff. Right now, Geno has only three players he can count on. He needs at least five. Whether or not he gets there will determine if UConn makes it back to yet another FF or experiences the earliest exit from the Big Dance in years. At the start of the season, I predicted that UConn would make their 13th straight FF. I’m sticking with that prediction for now, although I must admit my crystal ball is hazier than it was at the beginning of the season.
Your points are well taken. The offense is very
much a work in progress.

But surprisingly to me the defense has been stout. According to Massey, UConn has played the 4th toughest schedule and yet has the 8th stingiest defense.

This strength gives hope to your FF prediction.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
much a work in progress.

But surprisingly to me the defense has been stout. According to Massey, UConn has played the 4th toughest schedule and yet has the 8th stingiest defense.

Good point. Winning ugly with tough defense still counts as a win. This season reminds me a little of the old Big East where grind-it-out wins were the norm.

Reaction Score
Good point. Winning ugly with tough defense still counts as a win. This season reminds me a little of the old Big East where grind-it-out wins were the norm.
Yup. And we were at that hideous first half against Stanford in San Antonio. We couldn't score, but our defense kept the Cardinal within range. Geno pointed out that our defense kept us in the game until our offense caught on. Nice win, but massively stressful for the Husky fans.

Reaction Score
It's been an interesting season. The foregone conclusions to the games against AAC teams are not as prevalent as in the past. So far, this season's team can be at best labelled as "consistently inconsistent." They have many challenges ahead where the outcome will be in doubt.

Reaction Score
Well said. Perhaps, this will give them good position for the Tournament. It is what it is. We are just not use to this. Everyone is anticipating the incoming recruits of next year. However, they have a lot to learn as any incoming recruit. Expectations need to keep that in mind as well.

Reaction Score

You, sir, are a wise old panda:p

I have been saying this for a while, Lou is the most instinctive passer that Uconn has had in a while, both in the half-court game and on long outlet pass (can't wait for Saylor to get here because she seems at least as good as Lou on those long outlet) and this team is not a very good passing team. I don't know how many times I have seen Megan from the top of the key hesitating to throw the ball to Olivia down low, and waited for the defense to establish before making a much harder pass in.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
much a work in progress.

The constant for GAs teams has always been that their D wins the game and their O determines by how much. This team is no different with the obvious difference being that this team has more trouble scoring, so in general margins are far smaller and potential for losses greater. Even Baylor didn’t exactly score at will.

As far as ONO goes, remember that even the fabulous Tina Charles didn’t really become that until her junior year. Liv is more exposed because this team has no lights out long range shooters they can rely on almost all the time. For some reason the movement on O is bogging down. I’d rather see Anna than Kyla. Let her make frosh mistakes. The O is more dangerous with her on the floor. As for Aubrey, I’d show her films of Tiffany Hayes and let her worry less about whether or not the ball goes in. Kyla will rarely be the answer and I’m a fan of hers.

We are clearly the most pathetic 15-1 team in the history of hoops. Poor us.

Reaction Score
The constant for GAs teams has always been that their D wins the game and their O determines by how much. This team is no different with the obvious difference being that this team has more trouble scoring, so in general margins are far smaller and potential for losses greater. Even Baylor didn’t exactly score at will.

As far as ONO goes, remember that even the fabulous Tina Charles didn’t really become that until her junior year. Liv is more exposed because this team has no lights out long range shooters they can rely on almost all the time. For some reason the movement on O is bogging down. I’d rather see Anna than Kyla. Let her make frosh mistakes. The O is more dangerous with her on the floor. As for Aubrey, I’d show her films of Tiffany Hayes and let her worry less about whether or not the ball goes in. Kyla will rarely be the answer and I’m a fan of hers.

We are clearly the most pathetic 15-1 team in the history of hoops. Poor us.

And when Ono comes out for the ball and turns, she has no reliable 15 footer so their defense can collapse in the post, denying our cutters. Anna cuts but doesn't get the ball because her team doesn't think she will convert.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And when Ono comes out for the ball and turns, she has no reliable 15 footer so their defense can collapse in the post, denying our cutters. Anna cuts but doesn't get the ball because her team doesn't think she will convert.
Could be. But they’re not converting easily anyway. Williams also can’t have 5 point games. She can make people foul her on drives probably as well as anyone, so if her outside shot is off, get to the hoop or get fouled.

Reaction Score
some here see this team playing tough defense; for sure, I don't. Memphis and UCF both got many more open looks than UConn did, and many more than teams with their talent should have gotten. UConn continues not to defend well 1-on-1, which is really what the women's game has developed into. on the other hand , UConn has never, and still doesn't rely much on this game. besides Williams, and sometimes Aubrey, when she's given some minutes, who else can break down a defender. You would think Dangerfield should, but I don't think she likes contact. maybe over the next couple of seasons players will come in who can do this, and, hopefully, the coaches will let them. has seemed to me over the recent seasons, as this 1-on-1 trend has developed, that UConn has been behind. for sure, if a player wants to have success at the next level, they had better be able to play this game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You would think Dangerfield should, but I don't think she likes contact.
For someone who doesn’t like contact, Crystal takes one hell of a pounding night in and night out. Last night in particular, Crystal must have run through about a hundred screens from big bodied UCF players chasing Wright all over the court.

Reaction Score
You, sir, are a wise old panda:p

I have been saying this for a while, Lou is the most instinctive passer that Uconn has had in a while, both in the half-court game and on long outlet pass (can't wait for Saylor to get here because she seems at least as good as Lou on those long outlet) and this team is not a very good passing team. I don't know how many times I have seen Megan from the top of the key hesitating to throw the ball to Olivia down low, and waited for the defense to establish before making a much harder pass in.
I always thought Lou’s quick accurate passes were her greatest strength. I see flashes of that in Anna but in no one else. Lou would have shot the ball to a frequently wide open Anna whereas Meg, for example, doesn’t even look in her direction. Given Anna has been hitting threes at a 50% clip (after her 0 for America) in recent games, we are losing 6 to 9 points s game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I always thought Lou’s quick accurate passes were her greatest strength. I see flashes of that in Anna but in no one else. Lou would have shot the ball to a frequently wide open Anna whereas Meg, for example, doesn’t even look in her direction. Given Anna has been hitting threes at a 50% clip (after her 0 for America) in recent games, we are losing 6 to 9 points s game.
While we all appreciate Megan’s improvement this season, there are some worrisome trends. When she receives the ball, she squares to the basket, measures her defender and contemplates shooting, putting the ball on the floor or eventually passing. While she’s going through this checklist, her teammates are often standing around, the defense has adjusted and too frequently, whatever she does leads to a turnover.

I hate to say it, but Megan’s recent play reminds me of a quote ex-NBA player turned announcer Doug Collins once made about Carmelo Anthony, when he referred to Melo as, “A ball movement killer.”

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This team has flaws. As I said in the beginning of the season, its a rebuilding year. Not a reloading year.

A couple of points to emphasize that others have made - a center takes about 2 years to develop in the UConn system. Geno & CD have stated this many, many times. Liv is growing and developing. But she is not going to be the big power center some posters want. She doesn't have the body type. In case you didn't notice, she did show a baby hook with the left hand. But she needs help. She doesn't always get it on the offensive end.

The teams does stand around too much. Hopefully this will improve.

Defense has been better than I anticipated. This is a big plus.

Yes, UConn is one of 6 or 7 teams that can make the final four. Time will tell.

Reaction Score

That part I don't understand either. It seems like a lot of people are seeing this so the coaches must as well. If they are showing that to her in film sessions, she is not transferring it to the court.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
For someone who doesn’t like contact, Crystal takes one hell of a pounding night in and night out. Last night in particular, Crystal must have run through about a hundred screens from big bodied UCF players chasing Wright all over the court.
And about half of those were MOVING screens which when I played the game that was a foul, but I guess the refs kinda overlooked them for some reason.

Reaction Score

This is excellent old dude. Let me add something about the competition:

1. Did you watch the Oregon/Stanford game last night? We are not in their league...particularly Oregon. They are big, athletic, quick, organized and deep. They would, routinely, get 3-4 offensive rebounds whenever they missed a shot. Sabrina Ionescue ( sp?) is brilliant. We have no one close to her level.

2. Stanford is young and deeply talented, improving noticeably each game out. And they are armed with the best HS freshman from last season, who is starting and highly poised. And, suddenly, the Pac 12 is loaded with talented teams ( UCLA is still undefeated; Oregon State has one loss ; Arizona ( or is it ASU?) is really good. The point being, these teams are not lining up against the Tulsa's and SMU's of the world. They will be battle hardened against tough outs. They would not struggle against a mediocre Memphis team.

3. South Carolina might be better than all of them...although Oregon seems superior. And I am not even including Baylor, the defending champs. Or some teams that are flying high under everyone's radar ( Louisville comes to mind ).

4. My point is that for UCONN to make the FF will require a transformation, the likes of which we haven't seen.

To wit:

-Olivia is about 40% developed as a player ( if we are all correct about her potential). She doesn't have the footwork, the strength or the hands to be an effective post player against some of the " bigs " whom she'll face in the tournament. And what is the likelihood that she will become a strong outside shooter in the next two months? I haven't seen her make two fouls shots in a row.

- Williams is a total mystery to me. Her outside shooting has become completely unreliable. I now never expect a bomb ( or even a 10 footer ) from her to convert. I feel more confident with Ania shooting threes. If what we are seeing now is the best we are going to get from Williams, we should pack light when the team goes to the tournament.

- Megan is our most dependable offensive weapon, not named Dangerfield. But, of late, her decision-making and ball security practically negates her offensive contribution. Other top players are simply not doing that.

- Crystal is great but will have to be an"iron horse" to remain so. That she is needed for a full forty minutes to beat Central Florida is worrisome.

- Kyla is a level "B" player, lets be honest. We all love her and what she does. But she is not a threat and is fairly slow afoot. She will be left standing at the station against high quality, fast teams. Period.

- Ania, in my view, can be terrific next year if she comes back lean and fast. Like the transformation we saw in Megan Walker. But that won't happen this year. She should soon replace Kyla and, if Geno feels she is ready to do so, that will be an upgrade. But she is still making the errors of a European 19 year old ( all the traveling violations, e.g. ). We can't have multiple unforced errors from any player.

- I expected more of the talented Aubrey. And, perhaps, it will emerge this season. But the signs are not there. She is not a shooter ( not now, anyway ) and does not have the mindset of a shooter ( not now, anyway). Playing in the post ( due to her jumping ability) is accomplishing little, because talented ( and much bigger ) post players cause her, too easily, to miss put-backs and lose possession of the ball. She is still playing like an under confident freshman. Not even an 80-90% free throw shooter. She is like a baby giraffe trying to find her legs in the savannah. If she can transform all of a sudden, the team will be totally different. But it is unlikely. Has anyone seen signs of noticeable progress from her? Geno is using her less, it seems. Waiting to earn his trust. Tick tock.

- the remaining players are of no consequence. Lets be honest, they are "B" level talents. It doesn't mean we don't love them. But they have no role other than to rest some starters when we do have a blow-out. Which are becoming fewer and fewer.

I cannot share your view, therefore, that a spot in the FF is likely. Too much needs to happen in too little time. And we are seeing little progress from anyone. Tell me; who is getting noticeably better, game on game? Isn't it easier to name people whose performance seems stuck or worsening? My prediction is that the elite 8 is our best hope..and that is a stretch, depending on the tournament seedings.

I have great trust in Geno and CD. So maybe the impossible is possible. Let's hope so. But I would love to see a sign of progress. From anyone.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I commented on another thread that I feel sorry for Crystal. She’s trying to run the offense, take on the scoring load and face guard the opposing teams best scorer.

Crystal is constantly barking out instructions on offense and waving teammates around who often appear confused as to where to go. There were a couple times last night where two UConn players almost ran into each other trying to move to create more offensive movement.

I continue to hope that Crystal is up to the task of carrying this team to the point when and if other players truly step up to give her a hand.

Reaction Score
I commented on another thread that I feel sorry for Crystal. She’s trying to run the offense, take on the scoring load and face guard the opposing teams best scorer.

Crystal is constantly barking out instructions on offense and waving teammates around who often appear confused as to where to go. There were a couple times last night where two UConn players almost ran into each other trying to move to create more offensive movement.

I continue to hope that Crystal is up to the task of carrying this team to the point when and if other players truly step up to give her a hand.
I thought Aubrey was decent defending Wright when she was in. She was also active in the full court press. Once she finds a bit more offensive consistency I think the team will be much better than they already are on the defensive end.

Reaction Score

A good read!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

1. Did you watch the Oregon/Stanford game last night? We are not in their league...particularly Oregon. They are big, athletic, quick, organized and deep. They would, routinely, get 3-4 offensive rebounds whenever they missed a shot. Sabrina Ionescue ( sp?) is brilliant. We have no one close to her level.

2. Stanford is young and deeply talented, improving noticeably each game out. And they are armed with the best HS freshman from last season, who is starting and highly poised. And, suddenly, the Pac 12 is loaded with talented teams ( UCLA is still undefeated; Oregon State has one loss ; Arizona ( or is it ASU?) is really good. The point being, these teams are not lining up against the Tulsa's and SMU's of the world. They will be battle hardened against tough outs. They would not struggle against a mediocre Memphis team.

3. South Carolina might be better than all of them...although Oregon seems superior. And I am not even including Baylor, the defending champs. Or some teams that are flying high under everyone's radar ( Louisville comes to mind ).

4. My point is that for UCONN to make the FF will require a transformation, the likes of which we haven't seen.

To wit:

-Olivia is about 40% developed as a player ( if we are all correct about her potential). She doesn't have the footwork, the strength or the hands to be an effective post player against some of the " bigs " whom she'll face in the tournament. And what is the likelihood that she will become a strong outside shooter in the next two months? I haven't seen her make two fouls shots in a row.

- Williams is a total mystery to me. Her outside shooting has become completely unreliable. I now never expect a bomb ( or even a 10 footer ) from her to convert. I feel more confident with Ania shooting threes. If what we are seeing now is the best we are going to get from Williams, we should pack light when the team goes to the tournament.

- Megan is our most dependable offensive weapon, not named Dangerfield. But, of late, her decision-making and ball security practically negates her offensive contribution. Other top players are simply not doing that.

- Crystal is great but will have to be an"iron horse" to remain so. That she is needed for a full forty minutes to beat Central Florida is worrisome.

- Kyla is a level "B" player, lets be honest. We all love her and what she does. But she is not a threat and is fairly slow afoot. She will be left standing at the station against high quality, fast teams. Period.

- Ania, in my view, can be terrific next year if she comes back lean and fast. Like the transformation we saw in Megan Walker. But that won't happen this year. She should soon replace Kyla and, if Geno feels she is ready to do so, that will be an upgrade. But she is still making the errors of a European 19 year old ( all the traveling violations, e.g. ). We can't have multiple unforced errors from any player.

- I expected more of the talented Aubrey. And, perhaps, it will emerge this season. But the signs are not there. She is not a shooter ( not now, anyway ) and does not have the mindset of a shooter ( not now, anyway). Playing in the post ( due to her jumping ability) is accomplishing little, because talented ( and much bigger ) post players cause her, too easily, to miss put-backs and lose possession of the ball. She is still playing like an under confident freshman. Not even an 80-90% free throw shooter. She is like a baby giraffe trying to find her legs in the savannah. If she can transform all of a sudden, the team will be totally different. But it is unlikely. Has anyone seen signs of noticeable progress from her? Geno is using her less, it seems. Waiting to earn his trust. Tick tock.

- the remaining players are of no consequence. Lets be honest, they are "B" level talents. It doesn't mean we don't love them. But they have no role other than to rest some starters when we do have a blow-out. Which are becoming fewer and fewer.

I cannot share your view, therefore, that a spot in the FF is likely. Too much needs to happen in too little time. And we are seeing little progress from anyone. Tell me; who is getting noticeably better, game on game? Isn't it easier to name people whose performance seems stuck or worsening? My prediction is that the elite 8 is our best hope..and that is a stretch, depending on the tournament seedings.

I have great trust in Geno and CD. So maybe the impossible is possible. Let's hope so. But I would love to see a sign of progress. From anyone.

I am in general agreement with most of the analysis but I think a bit to harsh on CW I think. Yes, her 3 pt shooting has been bad (25.8%) and FT's have to be better (66%) but her mid level game and finishing around the basket are very good (49.3% total after being dragged down by so many missed 3's) and she generally comes to play in the biggest games. And she is still just a sophomore.

Reaction Score

To wit:

Completely agree on every point. I expect Sweet Sixteen, and to get to Elite 8 with a little luck, then (sorry) wait til next year. Stop crying. That would be a great finish for this team. Enjoy them for who they are.

Reaction Score
I get that she is in many collisions, but I think getting hit when you're in the air is different. Ask Tiffany Hayes. I guess I would just like to see her penetrating and breaking down defenses more. I think her most potent offensive weapon is that penetration-short jumper, which she seems to rarely miss. Seems like she could use that much more often. I expect people at the next level would like to see more of it, too, rather than hoisting up so many threes. If you're going to make it as a point guard these days you better be able to penetrate, and score, or dish off. I just think she's capable of a lot more of that, and UConn's offense could really benefit from it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I get that she is in many collisions, but I think getting hit when you're in the air is different. Ask Tiffany Hayes. I guess I would just like to see her penetrating and breaking down defenses more. I think her most potent offensive weapon is that penetration-short jumper, which she seems to rarely miss. Seems like she could use that much more often. I expect people at the next level would like to see more of it, too, rather than hoisting up so many threes. If you're going to make it as a point guard these days you better be able to penetrate, and score, or dish off. I just think she's capable of a lot more of that, and UConn's offense could really benefit from it.
Well, she also hit several short jumpers last night as well. Watching her for almost 4 years now, imo Crystal has never been averse to taking the ball in among the tall trees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom