UConn's Geno Auriemma says sorting out loaded roster will be hard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Geno Auriemma says sorting out loaded roster will be hard

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
My interpretation is that a 5 for 5 substitution pattern could be a serious option. IMO.
I don't think it worked out that well for DePaul, but of course Doug didn't have the talent that Geno has this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think we will learn a lot about this team, if and when they play South Carolina Sunday November 21st. Who gets significant minutes, how will Geno deal with two tall players on SC, how good is this team really etc. Like I wrote, a lot of these questions will be answered on that date.
As I look up and down the schedule, South Carolina appears to me right now to be the best most formidable team UConn will play this year. I co-sign with your opinion that Geno and fans will learn a lot from that game.

SC already had the post player that many believe is the best best in the country if you believe and acknowledge all of the awards she won and received during her freshman and sophomore years. Now she’s joined by 6’7” sophomore transfer (Syracuse) Kamila Cardoso. Together they should form a formidable version of “twin towers.”

You known at some point Dawn will have both of them in the game together. Geno will have to counter with two of his 6’5” post players. Who guards who? Dawn will also welcome the number 2,3 and 4 ranked freshmen from the 2021 class. No predictions now, but I can guarantee that we will learn more about our team playing SC than we will playing Georgetown. Let the games begin. It should be a fun ride.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I look up and down the schedule, South Carolina appears to me right now to be the best most formidable team UConn will play this year. I co-sign with your opinion that Geno and fans will learn a lot from that game.

SC already had the post player that many believe is the best best in the country if you believe and acknowledge all of the awards she won and received during her freshman and sophomore years. Now she’s joined by 6’7” sophomore transfer (Syracuse) Kamila Cardoso. Together they should form a formidable version of “twin towers.”

You known at some point Dawn will have both of them in the game together. Geno will have to counter with two of his 6’5” post players. Who guards who? Dawn will also welcome the number 2,3 and 4 ranked freshmen from the 2021 class. No predictions now, but I can guarantee that we will learn more about our team playing SC than we will playing Georgetown. Let the games begin. It should be a fun ride.
I know Zia Cooke has this game circled after Paige put her on skates for much of the game.

Reaction Score
I can see the 5 man substitutes from two perspectives with tradeoffs for each. First if the same group comes off the bench and plays as a consistent unit, they over time develop great chemistry with each other. But it takes away from Geno's ability to mix and match players based on what is most needed for that game and that opponent. More game flexibility comes at the cost of less developed chemistry and visa versa.

Having said that he has rarely had 5 bench players that he considered ready for prime time competition, and this year he probably does. He really had an 8 player rotation last when Anna was healthy. Taking her out there are 7 returning rotation regulars. With two very obvious additions of Azzi and Dorka, who are virtually assured of being in the rotation, that gets us to 9, and I think Caroline if she reminds Geno of Carla Berube is the likely 10th, if he went with a two unit 10 player rotation.

Like Noah's Arc, two for each position.

C- Liv and Dorka

PF- Aaliyah and Aubrey

SF- Evina and Caroline

SG- Christyn and Azzi

PG- Paige and Nika
Good assessment, particularly for the beginning of the year. Predict the most under the radar competition will be between Evina and Caroline. Evina, who I believe will be a top draft choice, may lose minutes later in the season as Caroline gets more comfortable and Geno rests Evina for playoffs.

Reaction Score

She also has the 14th ranked freshman whom she has identified as the most ready to play at this point.

I doubt we see the "twin towers" on the court together very often - except maybe against Stanford.

IF (IF IF IF) we face each other in the early season tournament, it will be interesting to see how much Geno and Dawn experiment with lineups. The outcome of that potential early match-up is not nearly as important as the learning opportunity for both teams.

Oh yes, let the games begin!

Reaction Score
She also has the 14th ranked freshman whom she has identified as the most ready to play at this point.

I doubt we see the "twin towers" on the court together very often - except maybe against Stanford.

IF (IF IF IF) we face each other in the early season tournament, it will be interesting to see how much Geno and Dawn experiment with lineups. The outcome of that potential early match-up is not nearly as important as the learning opportunity for both teams.

More likely to see Boston and Amihere on the floor together.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I’d rather not see Boston and Cardoso on the floor together. Of the teams on our schedule, I think without a doubt, Dawn has the deepest and most talented team we’ll see this year. She will have them ready to play. I think both teams have this game circled on their calendars. Stanford is also very talented, but they’re not on our schedule, and there’s no guarantee our paths will cross this year (late in the tournament).

Like UConn, South Carolina doesn’t figure to lose any home games. If they lose, it will be on the road. 18 thousand rabid screaming hysterical fans in the Colonial Life Arena are not going to provide a wholesome or welcoming atmosphere to visiting teams. They will not let the Gamecocks lose.

Reaction Score

I think both will be thinking strategically.
A win by either in the early season might provide a seeding advantage in the NCAA tourney.
Also, as far-fetched as it might seem at this point, an undefeated season might be very much in the cards for either program.
Dawn & Company came within a fraction of an inch against both UCONN & Stanford last year.
Geno & Company have to see So.Carolina as the chief obstacle to taking care of some unfinished Husky business.
If they wind up playing each other in the Bahamas, it WON'T be a kinder, gentler contest.
Just because both teams and their HC's respect each other, doesn't mean they won't be pulling out all the stops to come out on top.

Reaction Score
I think both will be thinking strategically.
A win by either in the early season might provide a seeding advantage in the NCAA tourney.
Also, as far-fetched as it might seem at this point, an undefeated season might be very much in the cards for either program.
Dawn & Company came within a fraction of an inch against both UCONN & Stanford last year.
Geno & Company have to see So.Carolina as the chief obstacle to taking care of some unfinished Husky business.
If they wind up playing each other in the Bahamas, it WON'T be a kinder, gentler contest.
Just because both teams and their HC's respect each other, doesn't mean they won't be pulling out all the stops to come out on top.
I don't see the potential early match as being very important to seeding. The old adage is loose early if you must. I see the late January matchup as much more important.

But if one team wins both . . .

Reaction Score

If South Carolina has both Boston and Cardoso on the floor at the same time, I don't think that UConn has to match them with two centers. UConn could decide to go relatively small and put five shooters on the floor. Who is Cardoso going to chase at the three point line? And last I looked, three points is more than two points. You are right about one thing, the big games this year will be about match ups, and I think UConn is primed to be a match up nightmare for other teams.

Reaction Score
If South Carolina has both Boston and Cardoso on the floor at the same time, I don't think that UConn has to match them with two centers. UConn could decide to go relatively small and put five shooters on the floor. Who is Cardoso going to chase at the three point line? And last I looked, three points is more than two points. You are right about one thing, the big games this year will be about match ups, and I think UConn is primed to be a match up nightmare for other teams.
I am in a wait and see mode on this, but we might be able to pull one of their twin towers out to the 3 point line with Dorka. She has stats that are very hard to figure or project into this season. Usually poor free throw shooters are rarely good 3 point shooters, but she has shot quite a few the last two seasons, one year with a very good percentage and one year very bad so hard to tell.

If we try to counter their size with shooters, I hope we also pressure the ball and try to fast-break often as well in addition to spreading the floor in the halfcourt offense.

Reaction Score
Some of us pointed out this elephant in the room months ago, only to be berated by BY'ers. Clearly, this situation is front and center for the players and for Coach Geno. Even with the suggestion of first off the bench by position, i.e., the 5-plus-5 plan, it still leaves four players on the bench most of the time.

The only positive factor, if one can call it that, is the fact that at least four players are dealing with serious physical problems. It could be that between chronic injuries and the big bench, it works out. Sort of.

Reaction Score

No, he doesn't have to. Edwards is perfectly capable.

I once fell into the "twin tower's" trap back when Jacksonville had Gilmore and Burrows. I thought they would beat UCLA that had but one tower. :oops:

Reaction Score
Oh poor Liv with the delicate feelings! Of course Geno will leave her in despite her, as you say, picking up fouls for the good of the team. After all, we really have no one to replace her.
Tongue planted firmly in cheek., Liv has had 3 years to get this figured out and I appreciate all the things she does well. I also believe if she show a lack of offensive production this year it will be a short hook.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I once fell into the "twin tower's" trap back when Jacksonville had Gilmore and Burrows. I thought they would beat UCLA that had but one tower. :oops:
Edwards is 6'3". She gives away 2 " to Boston and 5" to Cardoso. But......she brings a lot of grit and aggressiveness to the table. We have it good authority that Edwards as returned from the summer break even more aggressive than before (woo hoo). If she proves she can handle either of both of these taller post players, then I say go for it. Her aggressiveness might cancel out the height difference here.
I'm very interested in seeing the new and improved ONO 4.0. This should be the season she puts it all together, and has a banner year. I'm on the front row of her cheering section. Alydar, with respect to Edwards, you do know I'm from Missouri don't you? You know what THAT means. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Some of us pointed out this elephant in the room months ago, only to be berated by BY'ers. Clearly, this situation is front and center for the players and for Coach Geno. Even with the suggestion of first off the bench by position, i.e., the 5-plus-5 plan, it still leaves four players on the bench most of the time.

The only positive factor, if one can call it that, is the fact that at least four players are dealing with serious physical problems. It could be that between chronic injuries and the big bench, it works out. Sort of.
From a purely personal POV, I'd like to see Geno "habitually" clear the bench early in the 4th quarter of games that have long since been decided. Rest the core 7, and let the remaining 7 players have a run.

Reaction Score
From a purely personal POV, I'd like to see Geno "habitually" clear the bench early in the 4th quarter of games that have long since been decided. Rest the core 7, and let the remaining 7 players have a run.
Geno would love to do that, but as he says he can't afford to not have at least one starter (usually a guard) out there otherwise things quickly devolve to put it nicely and you end up with a 4th quarter where we score like 7 points because everyone is aimless.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno has often stated that it is important that the team play with a certain level of competence which is expected for a UConn team. A team that looks out of synch is not good for the fans or program and makes Geno physically ill. Other teams can get away with that but not UConn.

Reaction Score
Edwards is 6'3". She gives away 2 " to Boston and 5" to Cardoso. But......she brings a lot of grit and aggressiveness to the table. We have it good authority that Edwards as returned from the summer break even more aggressive than before (woo hoo). If she proves she can handle either of both of these taller post players, then I say go for it. Her aggressiveness might cancel out the height difference here.
I'm very interested in seeing the new and improved ONO 4.0. This should be the season she puts it all together, and has a banner year. I'm on the front row of her cheering section. Alydar, with respect to Edwards, you do know I'm from Missouri don't you? You know what THAT means. ;)

Inches don't always dictate who are the most dangerous posts. Boston is a junior and Cardoso a sophomore. Both ONO and Juhasz are seniors. Your point is that S car has 2 massive posts and that UConn has to respond. But If we look back a half dozen or so years SCar had 3 highly touted posts and yet UConn managed to win, fairly easily. UConn's edge is in their perimeter and mid-range scoring. I'd have options but before I responded I would need to see how the twin towers play together.
For five years running UConn has had to play a bit soft on defense to stay out of foul trouble. Teams would try and exchange fouls thinking they would win on attrition. That is no longer an option.
And what did Cardoso add other than depth. SCar was already known as one of the most physical teams in wcbb. Cardoso is lily gilding plus an insurance policy in case Boston is out. SCar is very small in their backcourt and that's where they need size. Quick for sure and dynamite in transition but as we saw in the UConn game neither was able to guard Bueckers and now we added Fudd. So does the coach sit one of her upper class guards and give some of the freshmen a chance? The other problem in playing twin towers is that Saxson and Beal sit. They have a similar problem to UConn in that regard.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Who was the one tower? Wicks at 6'8 or Patterson at 6'9?

Reaction Score
Who was the one tower? Wicks at 6'8 or Patterson at 6'9?

I always considered Wicks a forward. Towers had to be 7'+. So neither actually. But UCLA unlike most teams could create nice open looks on the perimeter and made a lot of them. That is what I expect UConn will do against SCar.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

When you were being berated it was because you failed to understand that there is no elephant in the room and no dilemma. The fact that some very good players will be sitting on the bench at any given time is not a dilemma. It is a reality and has always been the the case since UCONN became the premier WCBB program in the country. It is not important that you understand this, only that the players do. The player on the bench are not hostages. They have freely chosen to be part of the most competitive BB environment imaginable because that environment is the best preparation for life.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno would love to do that, but as he says he can't afford to not have at least one starter (usually a guard) out there otherwise things quickly devolve to put it nicely and you end up with a 4th quarter where we score like 7 points because everyone is aimless.
If this happens, then those players will prove to Geno (and themselves) they can't be trusted to hold or maintain a lead, and don't deserve more minutes.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When you were being berated it was because you failed to understand that there is no elephant in the room and no dilemma. The fact that some very good players will be sitting on the bench at any given time is not a dilemma. It is a reality and has always been the the case since UCONN became the premier WCBB program in the country. It is not important that you understand this, only that the players do. The player on the bench are not hostages. They have freely chosen to be part of the most competitive BB environment imaginable because that environment is the best preparation for life.

Coco...
I'm sorry, I don't completely agree,
Seemingly, apparently, there are more excellent, deserving players than typical playing time allows for.

This may have happened once or twice before, but this year may be the most difficult in this regard.
I recall the Stewie first year in which I felt that Moriah was being underutilized.
This seems far more congested.

I believe Geno was truth-telling in his comment
It's up to him to find a workable solution.

Perhaps he can initiate a lend-lease program with other teams in the conference (joke)..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom