UConn's Geno Auriemma Anxious on Eve of Big East Return | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Geno Auriemma Anxious on Eve of Big East Return

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Geno has already figured out Paige's role: Something along the lines of "Paige and the Paigettes" :D :D
She's a rare talent but she still need to work inside of his scheme. I suspect against better competition she make not look quite so invincible. We'll see.

Reaction Score
We have different points of view, and that’s ok. I’m not concerned about past performances, I’m looking at the landscape before us right now, and the needs of THIS team. 18 points a game breaks down to 2 baskets an a free throw a quarter. I think Liv is capable of 2 baskets a quarter. If not, we’re in trouble. Those points will have to come from someone, if not Liv, who? I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a 6’5” junior post player with 2 full seasons of experience under her belt to score 4 points a quarter. I think you may be selling her short.

You asked for 18+14 for Liv and 18+6+6 for CW, not just 18, You can't cherry-pick a single number out of your own expectation to make your counter-argument. There is a reason why it has not been done before (or maybe rarely) at Uconn because that is just how the teams are run no matter what level of talents the individual player has.

Reaction Score
The fretting over leadership from ONO and CW is overblown, IMO, because Evina is a natural leader and is really a senior. I will be satisfied if ONO protects the paint on defense and CW regains some semblance of threat from the arc. Both are very good players but neither is a natural leader. One can’t expect extraordinary personality changes to take place. If they are excellent role players, the team can succeed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What Geno said was "I'm nervous. I'm anxious to get down there and play." He's not having any anxiety attack at the thought of meeting Seton Hall. This kind of fake scripting bugs me. I know this is something of a nonsequitor, so carry on troops.

Reaction Score
We have different points of view, and that’s ok. I’m not concerned about past performances, I’m looking at the landscape before us right now, and the needs of THIS team. 18 points a game breaks down to 2 baskets an a free throw a quarter. I think Liv is capable of 2 baskets a quarter. If not, we’re in trouble. Those points will have to come from someone, if not Liv, who? I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a 6’5” junior post player with 2 full seasons of experience under her belt to score 4 points a quarter. I think you may be selling her short.

I have not seen anything over the past couple years that would lead me to believe the CW is the player others think she is. Yes she has had really good games here or there but on average she has not shown that she can attain those stats. Still an important part of the team just not someone you can count on game in & game out.

Reaction Score
I agree somewhat. Leadership skills can be learned, but they are best when intuitive. I do think that Paige, CW, Liv and Evina need to figure out roles. It is going to take a few games.
Most [if not all] of UConn's players were the best players and leaders of their high school team(s), eh? So it's not a huge leap - to leadership - for any of them.

Reaction Score
How many points do you think UConn needs nightly to win conference games? I’m assuming a lot going in, then making adjustments from there. I think we all would like to see some consistency throughout the season. Few players at any level can flip the switch and turn up their play when really needed.
75-80 if they play any defense at all.
I think 50-55. Even when we score 80-90 the opponent will only have 50-55 or less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom