UConn's Geno Auriemma Anxious on Eve of Big East Return | The Boneyard

UConn's Geno Auriemma Anxious on Eve of Big East Return

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The honeymoon period is over for ONO and Williams. Both need to step up this year, and do it consistently. How far and how successful this team is this year depends on these two. Paige should not have to carry this team or be expected to. Maybe during her junior and senior year, but not now.

The veterans MUST step up and lead, and lead from out front. I'd like to see 18/14 from Liv nightly, and 18/6/6 from Christyn. Those are conservative numbers. I think they both are capable of greater numbers, but I'll settle for those right now. They must play considerably better tonight than they did against a lesser talented and much smaller UMass-Lowell. It all starts tonight. Let's go Huskies, get 'er done!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The honeymoon period is over for ONO and Williams. Both need to step up this year, and do it consistently. How far and how successful this team is this year depends on these two. Paige should have to carry this team or be expected to. Maybe during her junior and senior year, but not now.

The veterans MUST step up and lead, and lead from out front. I'd like to see 18/14 from Liv nightly, and 18/6/6 from Christyn. Those are conservative numbers. I think they both are capable of greater numbers, but I'll settle for those right now. They must play considerably better tonight than they did against a lesser talented and much smaller UMass-Lowell. It all starts tonight. Let's go Huskies, get 'er done!!!

Conservative? Please.... people really are just making up things. How many centers in Uconn history have had that kind of average in a season. Arguably the best center at Uconn in the past 10-15 years, Tina Charles, NPOY, did not even come close to these types of numbers. How many guards in Uconn history have had season average of 18/6/6. I would bet not many, if any.

Reaction Score
Anxious? I feel like we were just at Seton Hall a year ago, so what's the big deal? Isn't that where Aubrey had her big game?

Reaction Score
The honeymoon period is over for ONO and Williams. Both need to step up this year, and do it consistently. How far and how successful this team is this year depends on these two. Paige should not have to carry this team or be expected to. Maybe during her junior and senior year, but not now.

I agree with your point but 18/14 is a little much to ask. In the history of UConn only a handful of players ever averaged 20 for a season and you think 18 is conservative?
I think UConn has a number of players able to score 20 but only one or two will do it on any given night. I remember a year when I looked at the starters and realized that every one of them was capable to putting up 25-30 in any game but that they would also have games of 10.
As far as rebounding, it is sometimes not the 5 who gets the rebound, especially if she is attempting to block a shot. But on the good side everyone on the team appears to be a good rebounder. I was very impressed with how McClean sweeps the boards. She is going to drive opposing coaches mad. :)

Reaction Score
So when you consider math... Even the best rebounders rarely average over 10 due to lots of variables such as a little injury or a bad game or 2 but still routinely get double doubles. If Liv is in the 9 rebs average range she'll be doing good.

From the points range. She was at 10 last year I believe and so somewhere in the 15 range would be good. I think Mir and Aaliyah are going to be better than I originally thought so they are going to supplement what we'll need from the front court collectively and take some burden off Liv.

Reaction Score
I agree that the OP’s numbers are much too high. If Liv could average 14 and 8 and Christyn 15 5 4 I would be ecstatic. If they both play well enough to average those numbers, I believe we will win it all this year. However, for that to happen, they cannot disappear against the elite teams!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

1608050112616.jpeg

Carnac

Reaction Score
Conservative? Please.... people really are just making up things. How many centers in Uconn history have had that kind of average in a season. Arguably the best center at Uconn in the past 10-15 years, Tina Charles, NPOY, did not even come close to these types of numbers. How many guards in Uconn history have had season average of 18/6/6. I would bet not many, if any.

We have different points of view, and that’s ok. I’m not concerned about past performances, I’m looking at the landscape before us right now, and the needs of THIS team. 18 points a game breaks down to 2 baskets and a free throw a quarter. I think Liv is capable of 2 baskets a quarter. If not, we’re in trouble. Those points will have to come from someone, if not Liv, who? I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a 6’5” junior post player with 2 full seasons of experience under her belt to score 4 points a quarter. I think you may be selling her short.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have different points of view. I’m not concerned about past performances, I’m looking at the landscape before us right now, and the needs of THIS team. 18 points a game breaks down to 2 baskets an a free throw a quarter. I think Liv is capable of 2 baskets a quarter. If not, we’re in trouble. Those points will have to come from someone, if not Liv, who?
It’s making that free throw I worry about!

Reaction Score
We have different points of view. I’m not concerned about past performances, I’m looking at the landscape before us right now, and the needs of THIS team. 18 points a game breaks down to 2 baskets an a free throw a quarter. I think Liv is capable of 2 baskets a quarter. If not, we’re in trouble. Those points will have to come from someone, if not Liv, who?
The majority of games, she won’t even play in the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score
UConn routinely has 5 scorers on the floor. That has been their key to success. So to me to win it all the 5 starters need to average 15 points a game. If one doesn't do it and get 10 someone else needs to step up and get 20. All of them have that capability. The rest of the team would then only ned a total of 16 to get 90. If that is not enough then the defense needs a ton of work.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The majority of games, she won’t even play in the fourth quarter.

If she doesn’t, then those expectations would obviously change. I don’t know how much resistance these BE teams are going to present. This is our first time going around the block. I’m assuming a lot going in, then making adjustments from there. How many points do you think UConn needs nightly to win conference games? I think we all would like to see some consistency throughout the season. Few players at any level can flip the switch and turn up their play when really needed.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Liv and Chirstyn were supposed to get another year to learn leadership. They have been thrust into the role early. Both have laid back and easy going personalities. They'll need time to adopt to being the foucs both in the huddle and on the court. Few and far between are the players this comes naturally to. DT was one as was Jen Rizzotti. I think that Paige is as well. Give the team sometime to gain their "sea legs." They will figure it out.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Liv and Chirstyn were supposed to get another year to learn leadership. They have been thrust into the role early. Both have laid back and easy going personalities. They'll need time to adopt to being the foucs both in the huddle and on the court. Few and far between are the players this comes naturally to. DT was one as was Jen Rizzotti. I think that Paige is as well. Give the team sometime to gain their "sea legs." They will figure it out.

We’ll see how they do in their next 4 games. Can UConn go deep in the tournament if Christyn and Liv‘s play does not improve from last year? At some point, they are going to have to get by elite teams like Louisville, Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina and Maryland.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
We’ll see how they do in their next 4 games. Can UConn go deep in the tournament if Christyn and Liv‘s play does not improve from last year?
Maybe, the freshmen look very, very good. If we didn't have Paige or Aliyah, we'd be talking about how impressive Muhl and Mir are. Fully agree though that our chances greatly improve if Liv and CW adjust to being "the guys." As I said before the only thing stopping Liv is her confidence. She is a very skilled and athletic player. I think that Christyn is going benefit from the attention Paige will be getting soon. I think see a lot drive and kick back to CW for a three in our future. I feel like it things will sort themselves out.

Still doomed though.

Reaction Score
IMO if they were ever going to be leaders we'd already know it by now. I don't think leaders need time to adopt to being the focus... This is going to be Paige's team. She's already the leader and she needed zero time. Appears to be the leader off the court too.

Paige says she's just struggling to know when to hold back and defer, because it may be others' place to play the leadership role. It won't take many times of her deferring and nobody stepping up before she doesn't worry about that any more. And the others who were "thrust" into the role will be relieved they are no longer expected to play it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe, the freshmen look very, very good. If we didn't have Paige or Aliyah, we'd be talking about how impressive Muhl and Mir are. Fully agree though that our chances greatly improve if Liv and CW adjust to being "the guys." As I said before the only thing stopping Liv is her confidence. She is a very skilled and athletic player. I think that Christyn is going benefit from the attention Paige will be getting soon. I think see a lot drive and kick back to CW for a three in our future. I feel like it things will sort themselves out.

Still doomed though.
I think these next 4 games will either heighten or allay our fears. Did you notice I made no references to other top post players in Division one. I’m depending on Liv based solely on her merits and potential.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
IMO if they were ever going to be leaders we'd already know it by now. I don't think leaders need time to adopt to being the focus... This is going to be Paige's team. She's already the leader and she needed zero time. Appears to be the leader off the court too.

Paige says she's just struggling to know when to hold back and defer, because it may be others' place to play the leadership role. It won't take many times of her deferring and nobody stepping up before she doesn't worry about that any more. And the others who were "thrust" into the role will be relieved they are no longer expected to play it.
I agree somewhat. Leadership skills can be learned, but they are best when intuitive. I do think that Paige, CW, Liv and Evina need to figure out roles. It is going to take a few games.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think these next 4 games will either heighten or allay our fears.
[chuckle] So true... welcome to the BY right?

Reaction Score
I agree somewhat. Leadership skills can be learned, but they are best when intuitive. I do think that Paige, CW, Liv and Evina need to figure out roles. It is going to take a few games.
I think Geno has already figured out Paige's role: Something along the lines of "Paige and the Paigettes" :D :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is a completely different, contrarian position to that of Carnac;
one that I articulated earlier based on the old adage that no one is indispensable

Let the chips fall where they may...
There is a huge amount of talent on hand. huge!
Whomever steps up plays...
No time to stand around waiting for upperclassman to change their spots.

I actually have a different sense of the future than the esteemed CL82...I prophesize that (at least in the near term) Christyn will wilt under the competition from so many free-spirited and talented guards

But if Liv and Christyn become the true leaders well and good...

If not, there's plenty of room in the middle, even the back of the bus.

Reaction Score
If she doesn’t, then those expectations would obviously change. I don’t know how much resistance these BE teams are going to present. This is our first time going around the block. I’m assuming a lot going in, then making adjustments from there. How many points do you think UConn needs nightly to win conference games?
75-80 if they play any defense at all.

Reaction Score
We’ll see how they do in their next 4 games. Can UConn go deep in the tournament if Christyn and Liv‘s play does not improve from last year? At some point, they are going to have to get by elite teams like Louisville, Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina and Maryland.
After seeing those first 4 teams in action this year I'll reserve judgement on whether they're elite or not until after further review. Elite teams beat good teams and they haven't done that yet. But I don't have to see Maryland. Maryland? C'mon man.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom