UConn's football future | The Boneyard

UConn's football future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone is talking about what a great atmosphere it was at the game last night and how electric it was. We have had a ton of bad breaks with realignment and we made a horrible hire in Pasqualoni but I still firmly believe we are a sleeping giant. We will be getting a new football coach before the start of next season and it needs to be the right hire. People in CT. are starved for a good UConn team playing good opponents at the rent. If we had a Big 10 schedule we could easily expand to 60,000 and sell out. It's such an untapped market, UConn could be the team for the whole northeast.

Reaction Score
With the passion shown on the field and in the stands last night there is hope to turn this season around. Beat Buffalo next week come back and beat USF on homecoming and we're 2-3. Unfortunately things get much more difficult from there but I do have some hope. It would have been real nice to win at least one of these 3 home games though.

Reaction Score
I left the stadium last night hoping this would not be the high water mark for UConn football. Missing the opportunity to get a win in that situation made it all the more painful.

Reaction Score
Great atmosphere, but when 30% of the fans are from the other team we have a problem Houston. Otherwise the place is the usual graveyard. MI fans behind me laughing because they got tickets, as our season ticket holders were too lazy to support the team.
Go AAC.

Reaction Score
I left the stadium last night hoping this would not be the high water mark for UConn football. Missing the opportunity to get a win in that situation made it all the more painful.

It will not be as long as Sue and Warde are not asleep at the wheel. The next hire is crucial Have to make a statement with the next hire. If were paying P 1.6, million, try and pay 2.3, to a big time HC. Think like Cincy did with Tubberville. They have to show that UConn is committed to this. Do not be a penny wise and a pound foolish. It won't be easy, but no one ever said it would be. We lucked out upgrading directly to a BCS a conference but that gravy train is over. Make your own destiny here.

Reaction Score
I think your MBB/WBB programs will sustain UCONN athletics, but the hiring of PP has severely set you back a long ways. It's going to be extremely difficult to get back to where you once were IF you dont make the right hire; and with a lacking recruiting base, and the reemergence of BC, the chances of success are very slim.

Reaction Score
I think your MBB/WBB programs will sustain UCONN athletics, but the hiring of PP has severely set you back a long ways. It's going to be extremely difficult to get back to where you once were IF you dont make the right hire; and with a lacking recruiting base, and the reemergence of BC, the chances of success are very slim.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Reaction Score
Great atmosphere, but when 30% of the fans are from the other team we have a problem Houston. Otherwise the place is the usual graveyard. MI fans behind me laughing because they got tickets, as our season ticket holders were too lazy to support the team.
Go AAC.

Some people see that 70% of the crowd basically shut down the 30% from beginning to end. It wasn't too long ago the large contingent of WVU fans would embarrass our crowd every time they visited.

But please carry on with your gloom and doom. I'm not sure you are any different than those that were too lazy to support the team.

Reaction Score
The reemergence of BC? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. They just took a 30 point loss to a bad USC team last week. I get they have a top 35 recruiting class coming next year...let's see what they make of it before calling them even decent again.

Reaction Score
Some people see that 70% of the crowd basically shut down the 30% from beginning to end. It wasn't too long ago the large contingent of WVU fans would embarrass our crowd every time they visited.

But please carry on with your gloom and doom. I'm not sure you are any different than those that were too lazy to support the team.
How so? I mean. Think about it, in order for you guys to be successful, you're gonna have to create a pipeline into much stronger Northeast recruiting states like NJ, and Pa. How are you guys gonna do that?

Reaction Score
How so? I mean. Think about it, in order for you guys to be successful, you're gonna have to create a pipeline into much stronger Northeast recruiting states like NJ, and Pa. How are you guys gonna do that?

Who @@k is talking to you? Your response to my post makes no sense. Go away as no one cares about your opinions here.

Reaction Score
Go AAC.

A. That team was Michigan. their fans travel
B. Uconn was 0-2 with no momentum coming off the MD game
C. The fanbase is in turmoil

Considering all that, uconn fans showed up last night. the students showed up.
They stayed the whole game and supported the team. If last night, outside of getting a W was a problem, then somebody has set some unrealistic expectations.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Go AAC.

Yes, there were quite a few Michigan fans there (30% may be a bit high but if you were to combine the Michigan fans and the sports fans who were there more as the novelty of a program of Michigan's stature playing in E Hartford, the number likely exceeded 30%) but if you go back half a decade we regularly had pretty solid fan support in that stadium. Factor into the equation that there has been zero promotion of the program in the most heavily populated portion of the state and the fatigue that comes with what we've experienced the past couple of seasons, where we are today as a fan base is not only not all that bad, there is quite a bit of reason to believe it can be something very substantial.

A quality coaching hire, some sustained success and legitimate promotion off of that success could legitimately double the fan support of what we had when we regularly had attendance pretty close to our 40k capacity (I know, you think it is funny to claim that it is 25k).

Reaction Score
It will not be as long as Sue and Warde are not asleep at the wheel. The next hire is crucial Have to make a statement with the next hire. If were paying P 1.6, million, try and pay 2.3, to a big time HC. Think like Cincy did with Tubberville. They have to show that UConn is committed to this. Do not be a penny wise and a pound foolish. It won't be easy, but no one ever said it would be. We lucked out upgrading directly to a BCS a conference but that gravy train is over. Make your own destiny here.
More importantly they also have to up the salaries of the OC/DC and asst's so they can attract guys who are good coaches/better recruiters!

Reaction Score
More importantly they also have to up the salaries of the OC/DC and asst's so they can attract guys who are good coaches/better recruiters!

Agree. They need to double down on football.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I could be wrong but I thought that GDL was given a very high salary (by our standards at that time) to come here from the NFL.

I believe that you are correct that we need be more competitive in what we are paying our assistants (and we may also want to up the recruiting budget a bit). Hopefully the new(er) leadership of the university and athletic department will be far more proactive than what we had for the first 7-8 years of the Rent.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I thought that GDL was given a very high salary (by our standards at that time) to come here from the NFL.

I believe that you are correct that we need be more competitive in what we are paying our assistants (and we may also want to up the recruiting budget a bit). Hopefully the new(er) leadership of the university and athletic department will be far more proactive than what we had for the first 7-8 years of the Rent.
As of last year when I asked Ed Daigneault about salairies on twitter..we were paying Don Brown more than Wisconsin was paying their D-Coord..and right in line with the lower end of the upper 1/3 teams in the B1G. Not sure what GDL is making...Ed also told me Cersosimo was making $175,000 as wr coach. We need to pay $400,000 to $450,000 per coordinator and $200,000 to $225,000 per coach if we want to go all in for football and be a P-5 type school (like Cincy did).

Reaction Score
Smaller Stadium but some great comments on it last night,good field shots,sidelines of ladies bb team a plus.Makes the team look good in national exposure. Todays kids like loud stadiums,good atmosphere,flashy unis, and a coach who can help them up the road to NFL. Sorry to say PP came across like a bumbling idiot always fidgeting and same tired expression.

Reaction Score
As of last year when I asked Ed Daigneault about salairies on twitter..we were paying Don Brown more than Wisconsin was paying their D-Coord..and right in line with the lower end of the upper 1/3 teams in the B1G. Not sure what GDL is making...Ed also told me Cersosimo was making $175,000 as wr coach. We need to pay $400,000 to $450,000 per coordinator and $200,000 to $225,000 per coach if we want to go all in for football and be a P-5 type school (like Cincy did).
Somebody mentioned GDL was making 250
But he was OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member