UConn's Football Failures Are Catching Up to It, and the School Has Itself to Blame (P. Forde @ SI Column) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn's Football Failures Are Catching Up to It, and the School Has Itself to Blame (P. Forde @ SI Column)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll take the 100th post to say I don't respect Pat Forde since he embarrassed himself with his Nate Miles coverage. The headline is stupid and the article doesn't seem very timely. I roll my eyes when posters claim bias in articles. But for Forde I can't dismiss the thought.

Reaction Score
Maybe you would consider him a P5 starter, but I don't see the P5 offers.

Those are 247 words - not mine. He was good enough for Les Miles @ Kansas to offer before UConn did (I know, I know, Kansas sucks but Miles knows talent).

Not gonna change your mind but you were the one who interjected the erroneous 247 team and player rankings into the thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those are 247 words - not mine. He was good enough for Les Myles @ Kansas to offer before UConn did (I know, I know, Kansas sucks but Myles knows talent).

Not gonna change your mind but you were the one who interjected the erroneous 247 team and player rankings into the thread.

Who is this Les Myles guy...is he as good as Les Miles? Just kidding you...

Reaction Score
Miles at Kansas has to recruit differently than Miles at LSU....his 2021 Kansas class is built of low three stars at this point.

Reaction Score
I was on Rivals as I alway am...none are in the 5.7 range and up....it ain't like LSU

Nine commits are 5.5 and below....5.5 is low three star.

Two commits are 5.6

5.7-5.5 = Three-star prospect

And..why accuse before asking how I came up with the post....It is true...just not the same source you use.

Reaction Score
I always use Rivals because I have used them to follow recruiting for years and am familiar with their system. And Mike Farrell, their national analyst, has been someone I have followed for a few years.

Reaction Score
I was on Rivals as I alway am...none are in the 5.7 range and up....it ain't like LSU

Nine commits are 5.5 and below....5.5 is low three star.

Two commits are 5.6

5.7-5.5 = Three-star prospect

I always use Rivals because I have used them to follow recruiting for years and am familiar with their system. And Mike Farrell, their national analyst, has been someone I have followed for a few years.
You quoted the direct language from 247 earlier in the discussion - the discussion w/ D1Reality was about 247.
Interesting differentiation in roster strengths...
“A low three-star (80-83): is a player that we consider to be a potential contributor at a Power Five program but a probable Group of Five starter with impact potential."
My bad for the accusation of making things up - you just changed data sets mid-stream (Rivals doesn't use the terminology of "low three stars").

Reaction Score
Rivals certainly uses a three star range...and the Kansas kids are at the bottom rung of that range...call it what you will.

Full disclosure..I pay for Rivals info and have for a couple of decades...I don't pay on a 247 site.

I am just an old dog who won't retrain...I have Rivals info all "toggled up"...

peace.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t think these recruiting sites know jack about assessing talent. They get some data presumably of some accuracy regarding interest and offers from programs. The coaches of those programs know talent and should be a reasonable indication of a kids talents and prospects. And make know doubt about it, it’s a inexact science for those coaches as well. BillyJoe is a 5.6 and Fred is a 5.3, so BillyJoe is better......please....

Years ago the other site had a writer Dallas Jackson. He spoke with a level of certainty on these recruits which was a degree of bs beyond comprehension. In an industry where he could have made millions assessing talent he was writing on a glorified blog. I called him out on the site and his response was that they called Vince Young correctly. I congratulated him on predicting that a kid who was 6’5”, ran a 4.3 40, threw from a cannon and had offers from every program in the country turned out to be a great college football player. He was so arrogant I’m not sure he understood the sarcasm. True story.....

Reaction Score
Many think that the ratings are offer driven...like maybe a 3 star kid with offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson and the like tends to become a 4 star....

Reaction Score
Many think that the ratings are offer driven...like maybe a 3 star kid with offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson and the like tends to become a 4 star....

You're not wrong... JUCO last year w/ offers from UConn, Houston Baptist, UTSA, etc... no stars. Commits to TAMU and magically 3 stars a few days later. Example here ->2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Those are 247 words - not mine. He was good enough for Les Miles @ Kansas to offer before UConn did (I know, I know, Kansas sucks but Miles knows talent).

Not erroneous, the 247s are what they are.

Agreed on Kansas, but maybe saying they suck is being too kind with the wording. Considering the Jayhawks are 7-90 in Big 12 play over the last 11 years, who would want to go there. Miles is likely in the same recruiting bind as Edsall.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t think these recruiting sites know jack about assessing talent. They get some data presumably of some accuracy regarding interest and offers from programs. The coaches of those programs know talent and should be a reasonable indication of a kids talents and prospects. And make know doubt about it, it’s a inexact science for those coaches as well. BillyJoe is a 5.6 and Fred is a 5.3, so BillyJoe is better......please....

Years ago the other site had a writer Dallas Jackson. He spoke with a level of certainty on these recruits which was a degree of bs beyond comprehension. In an industry where he could have made millions assessing talent he was writing on a glorified blog. I called him out on the site and his response was that they called Vince Young correctly. I congratulated him on predicting that a kid who was 6’5”, ran a 4.3 40, threw from a cannon and had offers from every program in the country turned out to be a great college football player. He was so arrogant I’m not sure he understood the sarcasm. True story.....
Wasn't Dallas Jackson the guy who made a bet about Robbie Frey and a 100 yard game?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
That was him. Didn’t think Frey was all that athletic even as the kid was often the fastest player on the field.
Once Robbie got the 100 yard game, didn't Dallas not fulfill his end of the bet? Those were fun times

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom