UConn's first night returns on Oct 15- Students only [merged thread] | The Boneyard

UConn's first night returns on Oct 15- Students only [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn’s First Night festivities return on Oct. 15 after a year’s hiatus. It won’t likely be as extravagant as in 2019, when T-Pain rocked the mic, but will function as a fun night when both the Husky men’s and women’s teams are officially unveiled to the public.

Four days later, the Big East will host its annual media day at Madison Square Garden. Last year’s media day – like most everything else – was held virtually. Going back to a live event at the World’s Most Famous Arena is a welcomed return to normalcy. [Link]

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
UConn’s First Night festivities return on Oct. 15 after a year’s hiatus. It won’t likely be as extravagant as in 2019, when T-Pain rocked the mic, but will function as a fun night when both the Husky men’s and women’s teams are officially unveiled to the public.

Four days later, the Big East will host its annual media day at Madison Square Garden. Last year’s media day – like most everything else – was held virtually. Going back to a live event at the World’s Most Famous Arena is a welcomed return to normalcy. [Link]
is that in fact T(orture) Pain? last time i attended the p.a. was cranked up to a level that i had to cover my ears ... i won't go again. unsafe. the poor students are harming their hearing, but aren't aware or don't care

Reaction Score
is that in fact T(orture) Pain? last time i attended the p.a. was cranked up to a level that i had to cover my ears ... i won't go again. unsafe. the poor students are harming their hearing, but aren't aware or don't care
C0FD3138-D615-4584-BDFC-EA4624A7C0C2.jpeg

Reaction Score
Just IMHO UCONN ruined 1st NIGHT when they put the men and women together!
When the women were separate they introduced each player and coach separately then practiced for 30 minutes, then they divided the girls into 2 teams with the boy helpers thrown in. Coached by 2 alumni.
They played for about 20 minutes, then a 3-point shooting contest, then Geno talked to the crowd and answered some questions.
They even had a raffle of some signed stuff if I remember correctly!
A lot of WBB fans aren't excited about the men, louder music, etc.
After the women finished the just WBB fans left and the men came on and did there thing!
They started the event with the WBB and MBB players in a hallway together with coaching staffs signing a big poster in a giveaway. Then the fans went into Gampel for the show with open seating!
It was great!

Reaction Score
What are the mask rules for this event? I suppose I should carry my vaccination card since UCONN (Lamont?) has mandated vaccination or testing for students...

Reaction Score
The big question surrounding 1st Night will be which recruits show up this year? Inquiring minds want to know…..
Well, I always look forward to a few days of photo interpretation after the event.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well, I always look forward to a few days of photo interpretation after the event.
I used to enjoy @dannykuconn’s pictures. He did a remarkable job, really professional quality. I remember he stepped away from the board for personal reasons. Anyone know how he’s doing now? He was a great poster and a really nice guy in the real world.

@dannykuconn

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don’t know… Paige has been known to hit a three or two in her day and Caroline had already beaten Azzi once. Just saying.

Paige is a great shooter, but Azzi tends to edge her out.

Caroline beat Azzi, based on the scoring method and tie-breaker in the final round, but Azzi made far more shots over 3 rounds.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don’t know… Paige has been known to hit a three or two in her day and Caroline had already beaten Azzi once. Just saying.
This is one of the reasons UConn is probably not going to have any power outages this year. Too many players that can shoot and hit threes. All of them are not going to be off at the same time.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Caroline beat Azzi, based on the scoring method and tie-breaker in the final round, but Azzi made far more shots over 3 rounds.

I pray on bended knees that teams try to double team Azzi this year. Someone is going to be wide open for an uncontested shot, my favorite shot for our girls to take.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Everyone has to wear a clown mask. I know, I know, it’s weird, but I don’t make the rules I just report them here on The Boneyard.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
This is the mask some reporters don before a presser begins, and questions are asked. :confused:

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score

I'd actually be surprised if Azzi will beat Paige's freshman FG% and 3P%, but I'd certainly welcome it as it'll only make the whole team better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd actually be surprised if Azzi will beat Paige's freshman FG% and 3P%, but I'd certainly welcome it as it'll only make the whole team better.

I knew Paige was a great shooter, but her shooting percentages were a little higher than I expected. I expect Azzi to match Paige's 2020-21 percentage numbers. One needs to watch Azzi to realize how good she is. Yes, she does have ups and downs, but she may be the best shooter you've ever seen.

Edit: Paige shot .524/.464/.869. My guess re Azzi: .560/.460/.920.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I knew Paige was a great shooter, but her shooting percentages were a little higher than I expected. I expect Azzi to match Paige's 2020-21 percentage numbers. One needs to watch Azzi to realize how good she is. Yes, she does have ups and downs, but she may be the best shooter you've ever seen.
I’ll throw one more into the mix. Paige and Azzi are both tremendous 3 pt shooters, but Caroline may have better range than either of them. I don’t know how much PT she’ll get, but if Caroline can consistently drop bombs from 25’, she’ll find some PT, even on this deep Husky team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom