UConn's Edwards 'toughest kid on the court' | The Boneyard

UConn's Edwards 'toughest kid on the court'

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards isn’t worried about the freshman wall. The way the UConn women’s basketball team’s rookie forward is going, she’ll just run through it anyway. Edwards recorded her first double-double of the year Saturday with 16 points and a season high 11 rebounds in the top-ranked Huskies’ 83-32 Big East rout of Xavier at the Cintas Center in Cincinnati. “I just like being more competitive and aggressive offensively and defensively,” Edwards said. “Whether that’s rebounding, getting my teammates open, going off pick and roll action, I like being in rhythm and being in the flow of the offense and locking down on defense.”

Carnac

Reaction Score
The freshman wall IS NOT a myth. It has left many a great and promising freshman broken and confused in its wake. However some freshmen never encounter this phenomena. Aaliyah appears to be one of them. This is the last week in February. If Aaliyah was going to hit "the wall", she would have done it by now.

All summer we heard from various sources how "tough" and aggressive she is. She has lived up those observations and perceptions. Aaliyah is special, and she's going to get better. She said that one of the reasons she came to UConn is because she wanted to be coached hard, and she wanted to be coached by the best.

Like many women college basketball players, she wants to play professionally. While in high school, she took note of how UConn seniors are coveted by GM's and coaches in the WNBA and teams overseas.

She has a great attitude and work ethic (she doesn't cut corners), and is a great teammate and a positive influence to others. This season is the "softest" she will play her 4 years here. As she matures, she will get bigger, stronger, faster, gain more understanding (and become comfortable) of Geno's system, and gain more confidence along the way.

Imagine how much more aggressive she'll be next year........not to mention her senior year! :eek: I wonder if she has any younger sisters coming behind her?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As soon as I say this she'll pick up 5 in her next game, but I'm really impressed by how quickly she reined in the fouls. I didn't think she'd be able to stay on the court at one point, but clearly she took whatever coaching was offered because she's been much better recently. Can't believe these kids are freshmen.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sounds like Aaliyah qualifies for one of those "sheriff" type noms de guerre. Aaliyah "The Enforcer" Edwards.
Even UConn assistant coach Chris Dailey mentioned how impressed SHE was of Aaliyah during their summer workouts. You seldom hear that from a coach, especially in reference to an incoming freshman who has yet to play a game at this level. Like Paige, she's the real deal. ;)

Reaction Score
The freshman wall IS NOT a myth. It has left many a great and promising freshman broken and confused in its wake. However some freshmen never encounter this phenomena. Aaliyah appears to be one of them. This is the last week in February. If Aaliyah was going to hit "the wall", she would have done it by now.

All summer we heard from various sources how "tough" and aggressive she is. She has lived up those observations and perceptions. Aaliyah is special, and she's going to get better. She said that one of the reasons she came to UConn is because she wanted to be coached hard, and she wanted to be coached by the best. Like many women college basketball players, she wants to play professionally. While in high school, she took note of how UConn seniors are coveted by GM's and coaches in the WNBA and teams overseas.

She has a great attitude and work ethic (she doesn't cut corners), and is a great teammate and a positive influence to others. This season is the "softest" she will play her 4 years here. As she matures, she will get bigger, stronger, faster, gain more understanding (and become comfortable) of Geno's system, and gain more confidence along the way. Imagine how much more aggressive she'll be next year........not to mention her senior year! :eek: I wonder if she has any younger sisters coming behind her?

I can definitely attest to these two points from what I saw of her during high school years. This work ethic was in place well before she joined Crestwood. It just got enhanced during those years there.

Every time I get to see her play with UConn now, I'm smiling ear to ear. This is the right place and the right group of players for her to compete with.

Reaction Score
That's associate head coach...

I also think Aaliyah has benefited from not having to start. That is a lot for a freshman to do. To the consternation of many on this site, I believe her coming off the bench has partly staved off the freshman wall. The other part is that her and Paige in particular are just built differently mentally. They just aren't the typical freshman between the ears. They already have a professional business like approach.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, she is a treasure, and so is ¨"Associate Head Coach" Chris Daily!

Reaction Score
With the uncertainty due to the virus, longer periods between games , and the subsequent compressed schedule when Uconn has played, the toughness of Aaliyah is particularly impressive.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is the "real deal." Along with Paige and Nika, what an amazing freshman class.

What still amazes me is not her ability to board, score down low and play defense. It's her athleticism. She is fast. Her long legs eat up a lot of ground. She also handles the ball well for a big. The jump out block on a 3 point atempt, her grabbing the ball and going down for a layup was one of the best plays I have seen in a long while.

Reaction Score

All summer we heard from various sources how "tough" and aggressive she is. She has lived up those observations and perceptions. Aaliyah is special, and she's going to get better. She said that one of the reasons she came to UConn is because she wanted to be coached hard, and she wanted to be coached by the best.

Like many women college basketball players, she wants to play professionally. While in high school, she took note of how UConn seniors are coveted by GM's and coaches in the WNBA and teams overseas.

She has a great attitude and work ethic (she doesn't cut corners), and is a great teammate and a positive influence to others. This season is the "softest" she will play her 4 years here. As she matures, she will get bigger, stronger, faster, gain more understanding (and become comfortable) of Geno's system, and gain more confidence along the way.

Imagine how much more aggressive she'll be next year........not to mention her senior year! :eek: I wonder if she has any younger sisters coming behind her?
When Chris Evert was whacking balls around the tennis court, one wag suggested that in a contest with a wall Ms. Evert's steady game would win.
I wouldn't compare Aaliyah to Chris as a model of consistency, but given her size in a contest with a wall I, too, might bet on the freshman. Walls don't get no respect . . .

Reaction Score
Every team needs a Jim Loskatoff!
WOW good memory, "Jungle Jim" was a very tuff guy on those championship Celtics teams, but Aaliyah has a better skillset, eh?

Reaction Score
WOW good memory, "Jungle Jim" was a very tuff guy on those championship Celtics teams, but Aaliyah has a better skillset, eh?
Jim Loscutoff was also an Oregon Duck and still holds single game record of 32 rebounds...RIP "Jungle Jim".

Reaction Score
When Pheesa was a freshman and she made the rotation I was most impressed with her ability to really work hard and get a lot of rebounds. I see the same from Aaliyah. Pheesa then enhanced her game with a trainer and developed some of the best post moves in WCBB. By the time she was a senior and playing inside against 6'5 players, she then realized she needed to develop a good outside shot. She then continued her development to become WNBA rookie of the year. The thing you can't teach is the desire to get better. We are only seeing the beginning of Aaliyah's future and I can't wait to see the end result.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When Pheesa was a freshman and she made the rotation I was most impressed with her ability to really work hard and get a lot of rebounds. I see the same from Aaliyah. Pheesa then enhanced her game with a trainer and developed some of the best post moves in WCBB. By the time she was a senior and playing inside against 6'5 players, she then realized she needed to develop a good outside shot. She then continued her development to become WNBA rookie of the year. The thing you can't teach is the desire to get better. We are only seeing the beginning of Aaliyah's future and I can't wait to see the end result.
Baby steps

Baby Step 1. Major contributor on NC team
Baby Step 2 Make the 12 man Canadian Olympic Team
Baby Step 3. Follow Naphessa as Sophomore AA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom