UConn's Diaco: "There is nothing that is the same" (Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn's Diaco: "There is nothing that is the same" (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some incredible conditioning stats here... http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/03/uconns-diaco-there-is-nothing-that-is.html

Ryan Crozier went from 282 to 298 pounds while dropping from 28 to 26 percent of body fat
Steve Hashemi added 12 pounds while dropping his body fat
Andreas Knappe dropped a staggering 7 percent of his body fat while going from 301 to 311
Fellow returning starting offensive tackle Richard Levy dropped 16 pounds and has "more functional weight" according to Diaco.
Daniel Oak who Diaco said "is going to have to be a player for us" added 12 pounds while dropping three percent of body fat
Trey Rutherford went from 289 to 296 and a 1 percent drop in body fat
Thomas Hopkins dropped 2 percent of his body fat

As for other position
WR Dhameer Bradley and LB/DE Luke Carrezola added seven pounds each, LB Vontae Diggs is up 10 pounds, RB Max DeLorenzo added 12 pounds and Diaco said "he is faster than we was."
RB Ron Johnson went from 217 to 224 which Diaco termed "pretty significant."
DL Sheriden Lawley went from 238 to 268 and maintained same body fat according to Diaco
DE Kenton Adeyemi added 23 pounds to 287 and dropped body fat one full point, 23 pounds
TE Sean McQuillan is now 253 pounds, DE/LB Cam Stapleton added 24 pounds while dropping his body fat two percent. while fellow TE Alec Bloom dropped his body fat by 2 percent while adding 16 pounds.

Also noted:

>>Diaco also said it is a "definite possibility" that UConn could add another player before the start of preseason practice in August and he is "working that process."<<

>>He also said new offensive coordinator Frank Verducci has "full clearance to install his offense."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everything smells of roses in the offseason. I wonder if Arkeel got taller. LOL.

Show me in September coach booby, that nothing is the same, and every single person has improved. You know what? Never mind that - show me a team.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
>>He also said new offensive coordinator Frank Verducci has "full clearance to install his offense."<<

What do we think that means? Why wouldn't he have full clearance? Injuries?

I do like to hear a pretty consistent theme around the QB situation. BD really wants a clear number one quickly. I am not a fan of coaches who say "we dont have to name a QB until the week of the first game". I really hope someone grabs the job so they can get the reps and we can stop debating on here...lol.

Reaction Score

When I read something like that I always wonder what the question was that prompted the answer... ?Can the new offensive coordinators install his own offense?

Reaction Score
Some incredible conditioning stats here... http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/03/uconns-diaco-there-is-nothing-that-is.htmlAlso noted:

>>Diaco also said it is a "definite possibility" that UConn could add another player before the start of preseason practice in August and he is "working that process."<<

I'd hope the potential addition be a QB, but I just heard a grad OL from ND (Hegarty?) is transferring and is eligible to play immediately... Over (QB) / Under (OL or other position player)... I think I'll take the Over.... We need more quality depth at QB...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Everyone improved last year too - But relative to what? Presumably from an F to a D? Now this year we've improved... From a D to a C? Maybe a B? Who knows. Glad to hear of the improvements but let's hope it translates better on the field this year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CTMike said:
Everyone improved last year too - But relative to what? Presumably from an F to a D? Now this year we've improved... From a D to a C? Maybe a B? Who knows. Glad to hear of the improvements but let's hope it translates better on the field this year.

We are all hoping for that leap when it just clicks and everything slows down for the players.

With so many holes last year, it's unrealistic to expect a huge improvement in performance statistics. Best I think we can hope for is closing the worst leaks and get a little bit more luck.

Last season, I think every opponent looked at us and saw free stuff. Free points, free yards when needed, and free plays on defense where they knew there was little threat from some aspects of our Offense that they didn't have to cover fully.

A leaky boat sinks every time regardless of how small the hole is. We couldn't make the opponent play 60 minutes at full speed. That is the change I'd like to see on the field. If we can do that then I think we might see a surprisingly higher win total this season.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for a game day team effort grade improvement from F- to C+

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I do like to hear a pretty consistent theme around the QB situation. BD really wants a clear number one quickly. I am not a fan of coaches who say "we dont have to name a QB until the week of the first game". I really hope someone grabs the job so they can get the reps and we can stop debating on here...lol.
Stop debating here? Good luck with that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Some incredible conditioning stats here... http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/03/uconns-diaco-there-is-nothing-that-is.html

Ryan Crozier went from 282 to 298 pounds while dropping from 28 to 26 percent of body fat
Steve Hashemi added 12 pounds while dropping his body fat
Andreas Knappe dropped a staggering 7 percent of his body fat while going from 301 to 311
Fellow returning starting offensive tackle Richard Levy dropped 16 pounds and has "more functional weight" according to Diaco.
Daniel Oak who Diaco said "is going to have to be a player for us" added 12 pounds while dropping three percent of body fat
Trey Rutherford went from 289 to 296 and a 1 percent drop in body fat
Thomas Hopkins dropped 2 percent of his body fat.

With an offense as bad as how UConn performed last year, this ^^^ right here champions my Glass is Half Full attitude entering the spring. A solid (or more solid) O-line give the QB more time to analyze defenses, opens wider running holes for longer, and allows the defense to stay on the sideline for that extra blow needed for the next series. It's impossible to accurately judge a defense when they are on field for 35 minutes before the 4th quarter. Not much fuel in the tank at that point. As the O-line goes, so goes the rest of the team.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How in hell did Knappe add 10 pounds and at the same time, dropped 7% body fat in such a short offseason???

Holy hell. I don't understand it, but I'll take it. The Great Dane is going to flatten some people this year...

Reaction Score
How in hell did Knappe add 10 pounds and at the same time, dropped 7% body fat in such a short offseason???

Holy hell. I don't understand it, but I'll take it. The Great Dane is going to flatten some people this year...

Looks like Cummings (with the help of Balis) is trying to get another first round Drafted lineman

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Looks like Cummings (with the help of Balis) is trying to get another first round Drafted lineman

I think that everyone needs to look at the following calculation to understand my sheer disbelief that a person could do the following in the span of 3 months:

original weight = 301
new weight = 311
body fat percentage loss = 7%

Therefore:

301 - 21 pounds body fat (7%) = 280 pounds.
280 + 31 pounds muscle (it has to be all muscle gain for the body fat percentage to work!) = 311 pounds new weight.

Does anyone here honestly believe that someone was able to put on 31 pounds of muscle in the span of a few months??? I don't. Let's chalk this one up to poorly operating scales in 2014... ;)

EDIT: I re-read the quote, and it could be interpreted that he only lost 7% of his available fat, not his entire body weight, which may have been 15% of his total body weight? Then it is only about 1 percent of his entire weight, which would be 3 pounds of fat loss. That means that he put on 13 pounds of muscle in 3 months, which is still a staggering number, but perhaps that's possible. I'm still not sure...

Reaction Score
I think that everyone needs to look at the following calculation to understand my sheer disbelief that a person could do the following in the span of 3 months:

original weight = 301
new weight = 311

Therefore:

280 + 31 pounds muscle (it has to be all muscle gain for the body fat percentage to work!) = 311 pounds new weight.

Does anyone here honestly believe that someone was able to put on 31 pounds of muscle in the span of a few months??? I don't. Let's chalk this one up to poorly operating scales in 2014... ;)

EDIT: I re-read the quote, and it could be interpreted that he only lost 7% of his available fat, not his entire body weight, which may have been 15% of his total body weight? Then it is only about 1 percent of his entire weight, which would be 3 pounds of fat loss. That means that he put on 13 pounds of muscle in 3 months, which is still a staggering number, but perhaps that's possible. I'm still not sure...

I think the starting point was the weigh ins last summer. I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever seeing post season weight updates. Pretty remarkable none the less.

Reaction Score

Many of the players are genetic freaks and will respond incredibly quickly to intense weight training and high protein diets. I have seen Balis train players as well as a bunch of other strength and conditioning coaches in college football and he is one of the best. He has the players train very close to optimally and the way he has them train will maximize muscle gain as much as is physically possible. It is surprising how many strength and conditioning coaches do not know how to optimize muscle and strength gains. Many get the position through politics and are hired by people who don't understand how to train optimally so they don't know how to hire the absolute best person. UConn is very lucky to have balis. Trust me.

Reaction Score

original weight = 301
new weight = 311

Therefore:

It can be done but it involves abstaining from alcohol which is why it can't be done

Reaction Score
When I read something like that I always wonder what the question was that prompted the answer... ?Can the new offensive coordinators install his own offense?

Remember when Zach saw Morehead's playbook and noted something about scoring 40-points a game with this offense? Then, before August practice, RE noted that he had told Morehead he had to keep the same run blocking schemes. Later, came jokes about RE's ripping pages out of Morehead's playbook.

Did UCONN ever run the high-speed, high-octane offense Morehead ran prior to, and after, his time at UCONN? Head Coaches screw with Coordinators more than occasionally.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This gives me hope. I'm not on the ignore the past/everything is roses band wagon and am very skeptical but this article gives me a good feeling and shows actual physical growth. Hopefully it'll translate into wins on the field.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think the starting point was the weigh ins last summer. I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever seeing post season weight updates. Pretty remarkable none the less.

If last summer was when the first number was acquired, then it makes a heck of a lot more sense. None of this "genetic freak" stuff, no offense to Sportsman. Because if there was a 30 pound muscle gain in 3 months, it would not have been acquired without some interesting supplements...

Reaction Score
Brought her in.

upload_2015-3-5_17-56-34.jpeg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If last summer was when the first number was acquired, then it makes a heck of a lot more sense. None of this "genetic freak" stuff, no offense to Sportsman. Because if there was a 30 pound muscle gain in 3 months, it would not have been acquired without some interesting supplements...
I'm still wondering how Diaco got big enough to play at Iowa. He looks tiny to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom