UConn's coaching uncertainty leaves CT football recruits in limbo: 'Everything's up in the air' (Bonjour/Hearst) | The Boneyard

UConn's coaching uncertainty leaves CT football recruits in limbo: 'Everything's up in the air' (Bonjour/Hearst)

Reaction Score

-> The search for the next head coach is ongoing. Benedict told Hearst Connecticut Media in September that the next hire needs to connect with the state, especially since interest in the program has been dipping. “We’re going to need someone who doesn’t look at (engagement) as being a burden or something they don’t want to do,” Benedict said. “We’re going to need someone who has the want-to, to get out in the state and this community and really sell our program and get people engaged. That’s a big part of what we need right now. It’s a critical component.” <-

-> “It is awkward to commit to a school where I commit for the coaches and I commit for the team, and then the whole coaching staff bounces,” Rosa said, adding, “As a 2022, it’s very late now. I’m locked in, but it is stressful not knowing who’s going to be in my future.” <-

-> Wayburn is also a three-star and ranked No. 9 in the state. “They’ve been really great to him,” Moore said of UConn. “Whoever gets him in the end — right now it seems it’d be UConn, but we’ll see — they’re going to get a great kid who works really, really hard.” <-

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I’m locked in, but it is stressful not knowing who’s going to be in my future.”
This line makes me feel a lot better.
In a way these recruits should be excited. They'll arrive to a better head coach than the one they committed to with a better chance to win games. No where to go but up!

Reaction Score

-> The search for the next head coach is ongoing. Benedict told Hearst Connecticut Media in September that the next hire needs to connect with the state, especially since interest in the program has been dipping. “We’re going to need someone who doesn’t look at (engagement) as being a burden or something they don’t want to do,” Benedict said. “We’re going to need someone who has the want-to, to get out in the state and this community and really sell our program and get people engaged. That’s a big part of what we need right now. It’s a critical component.” <-

-> “It is awkward to commit to a school where I commit for the coaches and I commit for the team, and then the whole coaching staff bounces,” Rosa said, adding, “As a 2022, it’s very late now. I’m locked in, but it is stressful not knowing who’s going to be in my future.” <-

-> Wayburn is also a three-star and ranked No. 9 in the state. “They’ve been really great to him,” Moore said of UConn. “Whoever gets him in the end — right now it seems it’d be UConn, but we’ll see — they’re going to get a great kid who works really, really hard.” <-

Great to hear Rosa and Wayburn are still on board!

Reaction Score
That's why the new HC needs to be announced before season's end!
The new coach could also have realignment impact. I was checking out some other message boards and some folks are sure UCONN will soon be dropping football. Not accurate, but that is their perception. We need to make a very bold statement with this hire.

Reaction Score
What the hell are they waiting for ? They are going to lose possible interested recruits and set the program back even further. The people in charge have no brains and we need new leadership and a new Athletic Director. Stop operating like amateurs .

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what recruiting rules are, but can AD David Benedict reach out directly to committed recruits to explain to them new coach hire timeline, qualities desired of new coach etc? Would be helpful for maximizing retention of recruits.

Not sure if Spanos & assistants are also doing the same?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
What the hell are they waiting for ? They are going to lose possible interested recruits and set the program back even further. The people in charge have no brains and we need new leadership and a new Athletic Director. Stop operating like amateurs .
You can't put the cart before the horse. If we're looking at coaches that are currently coaching in college, it's likely we are incapable of announcing anything. Also, who's to say we've even settled on a coach. I would imagine interviewing during the season isn't the easiest thing to do.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what recruiting rules are, but can AD David Benedict reach out directly to committed recruits to explain to them new coach hire timeline, qualities desired of new coach etc? Would be helpful for maximizing retention of recruits.

Not sure if Spanos & assistants are also doing the same?

-> Benedict hopes to make a hire by Dec. 1, giving a new coach time to assemble a staff and meet with recruits before the National Signing Day period begins Dec. 15. <-

-> With that in mind, Spanos and his assistants are trying to keep next season’s recruiting class intact. UConn has 12 commits in 2022, including two from in-state: Bristol Central dual-threat quarterback Victor Rosa and Loomis Chaffee offensive lineman Brady Wayburn. Collectively, the class ranks 79th nationally by 247Sports.

“They’re in a tough spot,” Bristol Central coach Jeff Papazian said of UConn’s lame duck staff. “I can’t speak for any other recruits, but I think they’re trying to do their due diligence with Victor and keeping that relationship strong. Nothing’s guaranteed until you sign on the line.” <-

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It’s much smarter to get a coach who is a better fit for long term success than fret over potential to lose marginal recruits.

Reaction Score
The new recruits will have a better chance to win and develop as players. Not knowing what their chemistry will be with the new staff will cause some anxiety as expected. But not winning is probably the biggest morale killer for any athlete. This is all captain obvious stuff but can't fault the reporter for putting it out there. Net positive that it's being discussed.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Edsall was never going to be here another 4-5 years anyway. So...they were going to see a coaching change no matter what. Might as well have it now so you can see who they are bringing in before you sign. That's better than having a change after you are at UConn a couple years.

I know it probably hard for them to see it...but they will most likely be in better hands with whoever DB hires than they would have been with Edsall. And they probably won't have to switch coaches.

Reaction Score
Tell me you do not know how hiring a college football coach works without telling me…

Reaction Score
Not sure how Randy got all these kids to buy in the last couple of years. He has the personality of a tree stump and zero recent success. Yet these kids and all the recent decommits all point to Edsell as the reason why they wanted to come to UConn in the first place. Is Randy super friendly and an amazing smooth talker on the recruiting trail?

Reaction Score

Not sure how Randy got all these kids to buy in the last couple of years. He has the personality of a tree stump and zero recent success. Yet these kids and all the recent decommits all point to Edsell as the reason why they wanted to come to UConn in the first place. Is Randy super friendly and an amazing smooth talker on the recruiting trail?
Randy, a smoothe talker? On what planet? I've listened to him at fan events. He's nervous & hates the spotlight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom