UConn's Big East Rival | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Big East Rival

Reaction Score
The best thing about this conference change will be playing in full buildings. For starters we have to beat Providence. They are rival #1. Knocking off Nova then Gtown are next for me.

Reaction Score
They’re all going to hate us because we are going to raise our leg and pee on all of them and establish (or re-establish, if you consider this the same league; I don’t) ourselves as the alpha dog of the league.

I think we need to accept and relish our role as the obnoxious, pompous fans who expect to come in and rule the roost because we have more National Championships and have experienced more greatness than any of them could ever dream to sniff.
I think you meant then all of them combined

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Providence freaking College is ever our "rival" I will punch myself right in the face.

They often kicked our butts at the Dunk. I know, I went to a lot of them. PC is definitely one of our rivals. They get up to play us, and are geographically closest, by far. Hell our campus is next to what was supposed to be a highway to Providence. I’m looking forward to those games at the Dunk again.

We never had a true rival. Just whoever was good as others said. Nova and Xavier plus Seton Hall now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They often kicked our butts at the Dunk. I know, I went to a lot of them. PC is definitely one of our rivals. They get up to play us, and are geographically closest, by far. Hell our campus is next to what was supposed to be a highway to Providence. I’m looking forward to those games at the Dunk again.

We never had a true rival. Just whoever was good as others said. Nova and Xavier plus Seton Hall now.

Pitt and Syracuse were definitely rivals. St. Johns was too when they didn't suck. Villanova was for the last 10 years we were in the league together.

Reaction Score
Can someone summarize the G'Town situation for me. I promise I am not being lazy, I just have read a ton of varying stories. So Akinjo is not involved in the investigation now but is transferring? Just confused.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
St. John’s rivalry could be renewed, with all the CT kids they’ve been snagging.
Current roster says they have one kid from CT. Heron.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse were definitely rivals. St. Johns was too when they didn't suck. Villanova was for the last 10 years we were in the league together.

I was a fan before Calhoun, and was a student when we hired him. I never considered Pitt a "rival", even though they were good at times. Didn't consider Nova a rival until later after Syracuse abandoned the league. BC was a rvial briefly, when they had guys like Barros, Curley etc. St. Johns was when Lou was still there, after that they became a basket case. Syracuse was our #1 rival and we were their #2 to Georgetown. I always felt like Seton Hall would have been a long time rival if PJ had stayed.

Reaction Score
We never had an Ohio State / Michigan rivalry. I think Syracuse was the closest, but I may be biased because I knew a lot of people that went there. I think our rivals were cyclical, depending on how good we were and how good another team was over a period of a few years.

A true rivalry would survive a conference change. I think there are geographical rivalries that survived the Big East break up. BC and Providence come to mind. PC was never a rival to me because I'm a NJ public school guy. I never knew anyone that went to Providence ( had friends at BC). But clearly, Providence always hated UConn and I always loved that many at UConn didn't care about Providence.

Pitt was a rival for a while, and there were certainly some St. John's angst when we would take over their building with Jarvis there, but that was circumstantial since we all stopped caring the moment they both left the Big East (yes, you too St. John's). Syracuse is the only one that I think we can call a real rivalry since the loathing still seems in place.

Who will be our rival? I don't think we have enough in common with any Big East institution to have a permanent rivalry. WHEN we become a perennial top 3 finisher, they'll hate us, and we'll hate the others in our stratosphere, but I think we're just too different to care about another Big East school every year. Providence will always hate us though and I still don't care about them (other than now having an obnoxious neighbor that went there).

Reaction Score
I think we're just too different to care about another Big East school every year

why does school size factor into this? Duke v. UNC and Stanford v. Cal are private v public rivalries, as was UConn v. Cuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom