UConn's Aneno To Compete In NCAA Championships This Weekend (Track & Field) | The Boneyard

UConn's Aneno To Compete In NCAA Championships This Weekend (Track & Field)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://today.uconn.edu/2017/06/uconn-runner-compete-ncaa-championships/

Sophomore runner Susan Aneno’s cross-country trip this week to Eugene, Oregon, and the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be her latest adventure in what has been an eventful two years.

Originally from Mpigi, Uganda on the eastern side of Africa, Aneno’s journey to UConn began in high school after she received interest from head coach J.J. Clark.

“I knew Coach Clark before I came to the U.S. because he went to Uganda to recruit me when I was in high school,” says Aneno. “He was the first American coach I met, and all along I wanted to run for him.”

However, fate would put Aneno at Middle Tennessee State for her freshman season, where she ran cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track for the Blue Raiders. Aneno competed in the NCAA Regionals in outdoor competition, falling just short of a trip to Oregon last year.

She transferred to UConn as a sophomore, just in time to compete during the outdoor season in 2017. The decision to transfer came relatively easily to Aneno, once she had gained her footing as a student-athlete in the U.S.

“UConn is a great school in terms of academics and it has a great business program,” she says. “I was taking accounting, so I knew if I got into the School of Business at UConn, I would have a better opportunity after graduation.”

Another reason for choosing UConn was to be closer to her uncle and cousins in Connecticut – her closest family members that aren’t almost 7,000 miles away in Africa. And getting to run for Clark made UConn a slam-dunk.

“Given Coach Clark’s history in training good 800m runners, I knew if I trained with him, he would make me a great runner too,” she says.

Now with the chance to compete for UConn in the 800m event at her first-career NCAA Championships, Aneno and Clark traveled to Eugene on Monday afternoon to prepare for her semifinal race on Thursday at 9:14 p.m. (ET).

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Came in 6th but didn't qualify for the finals tomorrow. Still cool to have her represent UConn and the conference!

Sophomore Susan Aneno proudly represented the UConn women’s track and field program at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships on Thursday night, competing in the 800 meter semifinal against the country’s best runners.

Aneno ran in the second heat, finishing in a time of 2:07.64 – good for a sixth-place finish in her race, but not a qualifying run for Saturday’s final. She competed against Oregon’s Raevyn Rogers, a two-time NCAA champion in the event.

Out of both the men’s and women’s teams, Aneno was the only Husky who qualified for the NCAA Championships after placing fourth in the 800m at the NCAA East Preliminary in Lexington, Ky. two weeks ago.

The Uganda native took the trip out to Oregon with head coach J.J. Clark to participate in the championships for the first time, capping-off a sensational sophomore campaign for the Middle Tennessee State transfer.

Aneno Runs in NCAA Championships

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman
Top Bottom