UConn's AAU Application? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's AAU Application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn did get some national attention in regards to its STEM initiative. That can help with AAU interest.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
upload_2016-8-24_22-19-50.png

()

Reaction Score
Hey remember when I said please don't do this on the Boneyard and welcomed you to harass me on Twitter instead? Good times.

Meanwhile UConn is still not in the AAU. Case closed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey guys, you have an actual reporter who is willing to show up to this corner of the internet and have an actual discussion with you about a topic you're interested in.

Maybe don't alienate him by acting like fools?
It's like you don't know us at all.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, you have an actual reporter who is willing to show up to this corner of the internet and have an actual discussion with you about a topic you're interested in.

Maybe don't alienate him by acting like fools?

lolwut

Reaction Score
Sorry Russ....if you guys are on Twitter..Russ is one of the funniest guys out there! He has a GREAT sense of humor in addition to being EXCELLENT at his job! Keep up the GREAT work covering UConn Russ!!!!
Russ thinks UConn was as much to blame for holding out on the BC football rematch as BC was.
I won't waste my time following him on Twitter or the moon or anywhere.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Russ thinks UConn was as much to blame for holding out on the BC football rematch as BC was.
I won't waste my time following him on Twitter or the moon or anywhere.

<thread derailment>
It's not a crazy position to have... UConn was as much to blame... (maybe more so) we publicly stated we'd never play them anywhere, ever, in anything... meanwhile our women's olympic sports teams scheduled each other almost the next day... Either way the lack of a football game probably had very little to do with all the CR stuff. It was going to happen sooner or later... That being said we were never go to play while DeFilippo was the AD.
</thread derailment>

Reaction Score
If anyone can come up with $99,999,950 (annually) I'm pretty sure I can push us right over the top.

The Boneyard annual endowment.

Could you imagine if we could get an on-campus building named after this place?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Boneyard annual endowment.

Could you imagine if we could get an on-campus building named after this place?
I think Fishy tried to get a room in Werth center named after the boneyard. The answer was a polite redirection to (what was it 2 heart something, thingies. I forget.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
<thread derailment>
It's not a crazy position to have... UConn was as much to blame... (maybe more so) we publicly stated we'd never play them anywhere, ever, in anything... meanwhile our women's olympic sports teams scheduled each other almost the next day... Either way the lack of a football game probably had very little to do with all the CR stuff. It was going to happen sooner or later... That being said we were never go to play while DeFilippo was the AD.
</thread derailment>
It is a crazy position to have and for what it's worth, Calhoun said he'd never play BC, it wasn't the university as a whole.

Reaction Score
UConn simply need to show it can garner another $100m in research funding annually, and then it is good to go.

I think one of UConn's major downfalls as an academic institution is its medical school and medical center. As a physician in Hartford county, I can tell you that the institution is fairly non-existent in terms of reputation. It is overshadowed by two private hospitals in downtown Hartford. Moving the medical center to Farmington was a huge mistake. Furthermore, the academic output and reputation in the medical community is just not there. Interestingly, the dental school is one of the best in the nation and they literally sit in the same lecture hall with the medical students for the first two years. Quinnipiac just opened a new medical school several years ago, and it is my worry that this is going to further degrade the reputation of UConn Health. Quinnipiac has already ousted the UConn medical students from St. Francis Hospital in Hartford. There is no quick fix for this, but UConn needs to capitalize on it's Health Center in a way that allows it to become a hub for Hartford County, both clinically and academically. It is just so far from that, to the point where I find it difficult to foresee any change in the near future. They did put a ton of money into a recent expansion of the Health Center facility recently, but most of my colleagues view that as political waste and nothing more. It did not help to change the perception of the hospital within the medical community. I recently heard of a patient that was transferred from UConn Health to St. Francis Hospital because he needed a thoracic surgeon...and UConn did not have one on staff at the time. That is unheard of for an academic medical center. I can't imagine (granted, I'm not an expert by any means on this) UConn getting an invite to join the AAU without a substantial improvement in the Health Center going forward.

Reaction Score
I think one of UConn's major downfalls as an academic institution is its medical school and medical center. As a physician in Hartford county, I can tell you that the institution is fairly non-existent in terms of reputation. It is overshadowed by two private hospitals in downtown Hartford. Moving the medical center to Farmington was a huge mistake. Furthermore, the academic output and reputation in the medical community is just not there. Interestingly, the dental school is one of the best in the nation and they literally sit in the same lecture hall with the medical students for the first two years. Quinnipiac just opened a new medical school several years ago, and it is my worry that this is going to further degrade the reputation of UConn Health. Quinnipiac has already ousted the UConn medical students from St. Francis Hospital in Hartford. There is no quick fix for this, but UConn needs to capitalize on it's Health Center in a way that allows it to become a hub for Hartford County, both clinically and academically. It is just so far from that, to the point where I find it difficult to foresee any change in the near future. They did put a ton of money into a recent expansion of the Health Center facility recently, but most of my colleagues view that as political waste and nothing more. It did not help to change the perception of the hospital within the medical community. I recently heard of a patient that was transferred from UConn Health to St. Francis Hospital because he needed a thoracic surgeon...and UConn did not have one on staff at the time. That is unheard of for an academic medical center. I can't imagine (granted, I'm not an expert by any means on this) UConn getting an invite to join the AAU without a substantial improvement in the Health Center going forward.

The quality of the Health Center is not going to impact the AAU ranking one way or another. The AAU is only looking at peer-reviewed research grants, which has little to do with running a hospital. Everything you say can be true but it has little impact on the AAU. For some schools with top academics and top medical schools, running a hospital can be a big drain on the school's finances. It is not for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom