Uconn-Zona Thoughts/Tape Breakdown | The Boneyard

Uconn-Zona Thoughts/Tape Breakdown

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
This is the first time i've ever done this, but couldn't sleep last night.. Went to the game but watched video for first time and here are my thoughts. I admit my thoughts are a Uconn lean, but I try to be as fair as possible when I watch.. There are 100 more things I could have noted, but tried to minimize it..

1st HALF

19:12 first Uconn basket of the game was JA floater that could have been (and maybe should have been) called a charge. Wonder if Sean Miller got in refs ears about it and that made them hyper sensitive to our charges the rest of the game..

18:23 AG drives to the hoop (could have and prob should have been a foul called on AZ) and bangs his head hard on the ground. Very well could explain why he missed so badly on his first 3 attempt and be why he had a terrible game.. watched it a number of times and it was a really hard hit to the floor.. surprised they allowed him to continue to play at the moment

17:39 JC called for illegal screen.. very WEAK call: not much movement at all and i’ve seen way worse not get called

17:18 CV gets called for the first of many to come offensive fouls called against us. I get that call.. called often but I honestly think the first possession when Jalen scored and they didn’t call a charge was a better taken charge, but Miller put it at the forefront of the refs heads

15:10 We get called for foul as a Zona guard drives to the basket.. Gilbert got as much contact back earlier if not more but refs give them the whistle and not us

12:16 Cobb gets called for foul when trying to take a charge. Think that was probably the correct call, but Cobb wasn’t moving much if any more than Jeter back at 17:18 when he drew the charge

10:14 SW’s first bucket of his Uconn career wasn’t rushed.. he smoothly took his time and perfectly knocked it down.. LOVE that confidence

9:47 On the replay of the CV and 1 basket, Greenburg calls coach “Dirty Hurley” and quickly corrects himself: HILARIOUS

2nd HALF

17:35 Jump ball called with (supposedly) 1 second left on the shot clock.. This one could go either way, but with my blue shaded glasses, I feel like the AZ player that was part of the jump ball got complete control of the ball for a moment when on the ground as evidenced by his attempt to pass when laying on the ground. My interpretation on that is AZ possession (even if for a second) should give us a new shot clock.. which leads us to:

17:35 Shot clock goes off before Jalen even touches the ball.. BAD BREAK

16:16 AZ turnover.. watching it a few times it looks like ball actually went off Jalen, so that takes negates previous bad break.

14:47 Missed WIDE OPEN 3 by Jalen.. got have those from your Senior leader

9:49 When the ref bench warned Diarra, if you watch him, Diarra said nothing.. He just stood there on the corner of the court (in a location he’s allowed to stand in) staring in disbelief.. (he even backed up a little bit back towards his seat before the ref even said anything.. Ref WANTED to make something out of it, but luckily Diarra just sat right back down without a word

1:34 Ref misses obvious travel on AZ which then turns into 3 free-throws for AZ.. another (BIG) bad break

Side Thoughts/Notes:
  • WTF is the deal with Chase Jeter’s shorts?!?
  • CV fights like an SOB for every rebound he gets near
  • Chase Jeter attempts to take a charge EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone drives near him (makes sense with his Dook history) I guess if you attempt to take 15 charges every game, the ref is bound to give you on average 3-5 per game.. Jeeeeeeeeez…
  • Refs were CHARGE HAPPY today
  • AG is obviously still rusty, but i’d say he’s a poor man’s Allen Iverson
  • 3 team fouls on AZ until 35.6 seconds left in game.. meanwhile they are already in the double bonus at this point.. that’s tough to do and makes no sense

And even with ALL that (and more)… we still had a chance right down to the very end.. BE ENCOURAGED for the future of Uconn Hoops!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"17:18 CV gets called for the first of many to come offensive fouls called against us. I get that call.. called often but I honestly think the first possession when Jalen scored and they didn’t call a charge was a better taken charge, but Miller put it at the forefront of the refs heads

12:16 Cobb gets called for foul when trying to take a charge. Think that was probably the correct call, but Cobb wasn’t moving much if any more than Jeter back at 17:18 when he drew the charge"

I agree with you here. Either could be called a charge or a block. Depending on how the refs felt. Both defenders were slightly moving. But the plays were carbon copies of one another. If one's a charge, so is the other.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is the first time i've ever done this, but couldn't sleep last night.. Went to the game but watched video for first time and here are my thoughts. I admit my thoughts are a Uconn lean, but I try to be as fair as possible when I watch.. There are 100 more things I could have noted, but tried to minimize it..

1st HALF

19:12 first Uconn basket of the game was JA floater that could have been (and maybe should have been) called a charge. Wonder if Sean Miller got in refs ears about it and that made them hyper sensitive to our charges the rest of the game..

18:23 AG drives to the hoop (could have and prob should have been a foul called on AZ) and bangs his head hard on the ground. Very well could explain why he missed so badly on his first 3 attempt and be why he had a terrible game.. watched it a number of times and it was a really hard hit to the floor.. surprised they allowed him to continue to play at the moment

17:39 JC called for illegal screen.. very WEAK call: not much movement at all and i’ve seen way worse not get called

17:18 CV gets called for the first of many to come offensive fouls called against us. I get that call.. called often but I honestly think the first possession when Jalen scored and they didn’t call a charge was a better taken charge, but Miller put it at the forefront of the refs heads

15:10 We get called for foul as a Zona guard drives to the basket.. Gilbert got as much contact back earlier if not more but refs give them the whistle and not us

12:16 Cobb gets called for foul when trying to take a charge. Think that was probably the correct call, but Cobb wasn’t moving much if any more than Jeter back at 17:18 when he drew the charge

10:14 SW’s first bucket of his Uconn career wasn’t rushed.. he smoothly took his time and perfectly knocked it down.. LOVE that confidence

9:47 On the replay of the CV and 1 basket, Greenburg calls coach “Dirty Hurley” and quickly corrects himself: HILARIOUS

2nd HALF

17:35 Jump ball called with (supposedly) 1 second left on the shot clock.. This one could go either way, but with my blue shaded glasses, I feel like the AZ player that was part of the jump ball got complete control of the ball for a moment when on the ground as evidenced by his attempt to pass when laying on the ground. My interpretation on that is AZ possession (even if for a second) should give us a new shot clock.. which leads us to:

17:35 Shot clock goes off before Jalen even touches the ball.. BAD BREAK

16:16 AZ turnover.. watching it a few times it looks like ball actually went off Jalen, so that takes negates previous bad break.

14:47 Missed WIDE OPEN 3 by Jalen.. got have those from your Senior leader

9:49 When the ref bench warned Diarra, if you watch him, Diarra said nothing.. He just stood there on the corner of the court (in a location he’s allowed to stand in) staring in disbelief.. (he even backed up a little bit back towards his seat before the ref even said anything.. Ref WANTED to make something out of it, but luckily Diarra just sat right back down without a word

1:34 Ref misses obvious travel on AZ which then turns into 3 free-throws for AZ.. another (BIG) bad break

Side Thoughts/Notes:
  • WTF is the deal with Chase Jeter’s shorts?!?
  • CV fights like an SOB for every rebound he gets near
  • Chase Jeter attempts to take a charge EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone drives near him (makes sense with his Dook history) I guess if you attempt to take 15 charges every game, the ref is bound to give you on average 3-5 per game.. Jeeeeeeeeez…
  • Refs were CHARGE HAPPY today
  • AG is obviously still rusty, but i’d say he’s a poor man’s Allen Iverson
  • 3 team fouls on AZ until 35.6 seconds left in game.. meanwhile they are already in the double bonus at this point.. that’s tough to do and makes no sense

And even with ALL that (and more)… we still had a chance right down to the very end.. BE ENCOURAGED for the future of Uconn Hoops!
there was a push as well when one of their players was driving and extended his arm and push Vital under the basket. With that said they don't win this game if we don't turn the ball over 19 times and we don't commit so many mental mistakes. Getting to the free throw line and making them wouldn't hurt either

Reaction Score
Jeter brought the dook charge culture with him to AZ. Reminded me of Battier all game.

Reaction Score
If that "moving screen" was not called to take away the three I think UConn ends up winning the game.

Reaction Score
Vital shouldn’t be taking more than a few dribbles before passing, and Jalen needs to stop leaping in the air and losing his dribble before he knows where he’s going with the ball. We could shave a few TO per game by fixing that alone, and those are big because they’re typically live ball TO.

Reaction Score
Yea what was the deal with that shot clock violation on Jalen? So much for a home clock...

Reaction Score
Had just one of CV/Gilbert/Tarin/Carlton/the refs been on their game, the outcome would have been different. But we looked bad and still almost won so there's that.

Time to beat FSU and/or Nova.

Reaction Score
If JA gets to the line a normal 5-6 times vs a ridiculous 1 we win the game. It seems to be a no call on every one of his drives whether there is contact or not.
I never saw a player with his type skills get less FT opportunities. (respect) .Thats’s a quick fix that turns L’s into W’s.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Marginally better 3 point shooting alone could have won us that game. There was an article today by borges about how Hurley is having the team practice at the XL before XL games now to get used to shooting there. Coach Hurley implies that it plays more like a neutral site game because we aren’t used to playing there.
UConn men hoping to excel a little better at XL Center

Reaction Score
Marginally better 3 point shooting alone could have won us that game. There was an article today by borges about how Hurley is having the team practice at the XL before XL games now to get used to shooting there. Coach Hurley implies that it plays more like a neutral site game because we aren’t used to playing there.
UConn men hoping to excel a little better at XL Center

Sure but safe to say we were honestly the lucky ones in this regard. Arizona shot muuuuuch lower than their average from 3 than we did in that game; we just about shot our average.

If they shot their average (or average we give up on the year), we'd have lost by double figures.
If we shot the average they've give up on the year, we'd have lost by double figures.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I thought I was seeing things.? Jeter was missing 1/2 his shorts on the right leg. Looked goofy.

Reaction Score
if we hit our free throws and tarin doesn't foul that guy on the three, we win. fixable mistakes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom