UConn/Zaggs Postmortem | The Boneyard

UConn/Zaggs Postmortem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No shock as far as analysis is concerned but UConn played poorly on so many levels throughout the first 33 or so minutes of this game.

Poor half-court D
Bad execution on offense, especially against the zone
Inability to finish within 5 to 7 feet of the rim, especially Purvis
Poor 3 pt shooting (1-12 and 0-6 Gibbs alone)
And the list goes on.

Now the last 7 minutes
Adams sparked the team
They drove the lane and finished much better
Made most of their FTs
Defended the half-court much better (in the post and at the perimeter)

Winning time (Last minute or so):
Too many key blunders during winning time
Adams runner that fell short of the rim
DHam's 3 instead of taking it to the basket where at a minimum likely gets fouled
Miller not boxing out on the weakside letting the Zags stretch the lead to 3
Purvis errant pass when he drove through the paint (I think that was Purvis)

IMO we have the personnel to be good
At the moment we lack a leader like Kemba/Bazz
Adams IMO at the point gives them the best chance of being special, but he's young. He's a better play-maker than Gibbs and better defender.
Lots of new parts that just need time to come together
Need to learn to defend without getting our hands on the offensive players
Improve the rebounding and rebound more consistently
Enoch needs to get more PT to at least learn and be a solid contributor by season's end
Goes w/out saying, they have to stop digging themselves these huge double digit deficits

I think the team will be good when it's all said and done. It's not like they are missing any glaring parts.

Reaction Score
IMO we have the personnel to be good
Agreed, but I'm not sure we have the personnel to be great. Miller hasn't been as good a defender or rebounder as we'd hoped, and while the key returnees (DHam, Purvis, Amida, Facey) have all made progress, none has made so much progress that our 2014/15 weaknesses can be totally papered over.

I'll also add that KO did a bad job these last two games. I think he's a great all-around coach and is getting better at in-game situations, but he wasn't able to identify successful lineups or exploit weaknesses (there's NO REASON Enoch shouldn't have gotten 8-10 minutes vs. Syracuse) in two otherwise very winnable games.

Lots of work to do over the next week or so. Hopefully they look like a new team by the time 12/8 comes around.

Reaction Score
Agree on KO not at all his best stretch of games.

Too early on the substitutions yesterday. Too nice to the refs today.

One big error I though was when we got the ball back with a chance to tie and Purvis threw it away. When they got the ball there he should have immediately called a TO and inserted Gibbs with Jalen and removed Amida. Get your 3 point shooters in and there's plenty of time to take a deuce there (not literally) and D up. I mean if you surround the 3 point line and they let Miller have a one on one then throw it to him. Needed to sit them down and throw a few scenario's in their heads so they know what to do down the stretch as well as putting a play together.

Reaction Score
Matrim55 said:
Agreed, but I'm not sure we have the personnel to be great. Miller hasn't been as good a defender or rebounder as we'd hoped, and while the key returnees (DHam, Purvis, Amida, Facey) have all made progress, none has made so much progress that our 2014/15 weaknesses can be totally papered over. I'll also add that KO did a bad job these last two games. I think he's a great all-around coach and is getting better at in-game situations, but he wasn't able to identify successful lineups or exploit weaknesses (there's NO REASON Enoch shouldn't have gotten 8-10 minutes vs. Syracuse) in two otherwise very winnable games. Lots of work to do over the next week or so. Hopefully they look like a new team by the time 12/8 comes around.

Thought Miller made a lot of progress today - defensively he was really locked in during the last 10 minutes, and he got some tough boards, although he was caught under the rim ball watching on the last one. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come. Need Gibbs to make a leap as a lead guard next. Not looking for Kemba/Bazz but something close to AJ Pricean would be nice (14 ppg, steady leadership). Them Adams can just play and try to be a spark.

DHam's midrange floater also really needs to be there against the top teams - a couple alligator armed ones today he left short. That's probably going to be the poison defenses pick in their scouting reports.

Reaction Score
Thought Miller made a lot of progress today - defensively he was really locked in during the last 10 minutes, and he got some tough boards, although he was caught under the rim ball watching on the last one. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come. Need Gibbs to make a leap as a lead guard next. Not looking for Kemba/Bazz but something close to AJ Pricean would be nice (14 ppg, steady leadership). Them Adams can just play and try to be a spark.

DHam's midrange floater also really needs to be there against the top teams - a couple alligator armed ones today he left short. That's probably going to be the poison defenses pick in their scouting reports.

Yes he does shorten those limbs on occasion sometimes because he still wants to pass I believe but others he should use the square. Kids don't anymore.

Reaction Score
I've said since the beginning of his tenure Ollie has an NB A mindset as coach. Regular season only matters to the extent it prepares you for the post season and to the extent you get enough wins to get to March . 35-0 isn't important. I think you see that in his use of bench players. He makes head scratching substitutions at times.

As far as Miller goes he was a star at a lower level. He is a good enough role player at this one but not going to be a dominant guy for us. Trying to rebound against Yale is a whole different world that doing it against ago saga or Syacuse. I do think Adams will be a star at some point but he isn't there by a long shot yet. But guess what? Kemba and Bazz weren't as frosh either.

Reaction Score
I've said since the beginning of his tenure Ollie has an NB A mindset as coach. Regular season only matters to the extent it prepares you for the post season and to the extent you get enough wins to get to March . 35-0 isn't important. I think you see that in his use of bench players. He makes head scratching substitutions at times.

As far as Miller goes he was a star at a lower level. He is a good enough role player at this one but not going to be a dominant guy for us. Trying to rebound against Yale is a whole different world that doing it against ago saga or Syacuse. I do think Adams will be a star at some point but he isn't there by a long shot yet. But guess what? Kemba and Bazz weren't as frosh either.
Crawl back into your hole.

Reaction Score

Amazing you come out of your hole and talk about Miller after the game he had vs an NBA sized front court? Thought you were studying down there?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I guess you missed the 19 points Miller gave us. Only consistent player on offense.

Reaction Score
Amazing you come out of your hole and talk about Miller after the game he had vs an NBA sized front court? Thought you were studying down there?

You expect Freescooter to show up for the first time all year after a loss but questioning Miller's ability to play at this level after today is - um - strange.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I guess you missed the 19 points Miller gave us. Only consistent player on offense.

Miller is definately our best scoring big man. He was 7-10 from the field, with 5-5 from the free throw line for 19 pts. Can't complain about his play.

Reaction Score
I thought Ollie was a mess this tournament - there's really no way around it.

And i'll be blunt, here - half this team doesn't look like it knows or understands the offense scheme he's trying to implement - at least that's the way it looks. And I felt that way last year where 3/5 guys at all times looked like they had no idea what they were supposed to be doing. I hate bagging on KO because I LIKE him so much, but I'm really beginning to wonder whether the issue is the style he wants to play.

The number of kick outs with wide open shots is just trying to freaking hard. In the zone - it was the same freaking baseline play every time. It looks like he's trying to spread things around - and can - but no one has focus. The sheer number of open looks that Hamilton and Purvis got alone without taking wide open shots... if they'd just finish (which they started to do by the end) or drive to the hoop.... But I say that and part of me wonders whether doubling down on the players' individual talents is the way to go or providing them with more structure. I'm just stumped.

The one thing that was obvious though is that while I think our guard play is gonna get better as the season progresses, this team completely and totally lacks interior presence and there's no fix/underperformance issue here - it's that we actually don't have it. It's not close to a title contender without it. Should be competitive and sure - we'll make a run in the tournament, but this is an obviously flawed team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You expect Freescooter to show up for the first time all year after a loss but questioning Miller's ability to play at this level after today is - um - strange.
You can't just leave me guessing which Ignored member posted?

Reaction Score
How about switching to zone and getting their hands on a lot of passes? Also full court pressing. Both improvements that make us more dynamic and huge impacts today but too late in the game and too far to comeback.

Reaction Score
I thought Ollie was a mess this tournament - there's really no way around it.

And i'll be blunt, here - half this team doesn't look like it knows or understands the offense scheme he's trying to implement - at least that's the way it looks. And I felt that way last year where 3/5 guys at all times looked like they had no idea what they were supposed to be doing. I hate bagging on KO because I LIKE him so much, but I'm really beginning to wonder whether the issue is the style he wants to play.

The number of kick outs with wide open shots is just trying to freaking hard. In the zone - it was the same freaking baseline play every time. It looks like he's trying to spread things around - and can - but no one has focus. The sheer number of open looks that Hamilton and Purvis got alone without taking wide open shots... if they'd just finish (which they started to do by the end) or drive to the hoop.... But I say that and part of me wonders whether doubling down on the players' individual talents is the way to go or providing them with more structure. I'm just stumped.

The one thing that was obvious though is that while I think our guard play is gonna get better as the season progresses, this team completely and totally lacks interior presence and there's no fix/underperformance issue here - it's that we actually don't have it. It's not close to a title contender without it. Should be competitive and sure - we'll make a run in the tournament, but this is an obviously flawed team.

I thought KO was a mess with his rotations(the handling of the rotations after the hot start against Cuse was baffling), but I have to place the blame with DHam and Purvis for continuing to pass up these wide open looks, especially DHam. I have a hard time believing KO is telling DHam to pump fake himself out of open looks and pass up open shots to further muck up the offense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Miller is definately our best scoring big man. He was 7-10 from the field, with 5-5 from the free throw line for 19 pts. Can't complain about his play.
Miller is still on a learning curve. There is a lot of directing regarding his position on the court. Not worried about it. I' m guessing Miller was supposed to be cutting to the basket on the errant pass by Purvis. I' ll have to watch the replay to see where he was on that play. The entire teams defense was atrocious first half and Miller was no exception. Second half after first 3 minutes was beautiful to watch.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I thought KO was a mess with his rotations(the handling of the rotations after the hot start against Cuse was baffling), but I have to place the blame with DHam and Purvis for continuing to pass up these wide open looks, especially DHam. I have a hard time believing KO is telling DHam to pump fake himself out of open looks and pass up open shots to further muck up the offense.
It looks like KO has pretty much given DHam the keys to the car. Right now he's too unselfish and isn't the decision-maker we need in the big spots. Can he get there? I think we need the PG to be the guy with the ball when it really counts and today it did look like Jalen needs to be in there, probably with Gibbs.

Reaction Score

I almost forgot how much you suck.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good point. Team development is an important goal for Coach KO at this point if the season.
The other thing he is protecting against is player attrition from foul calls (you were also right on chat that they need to foul less...but it is a process, in a month I expect that they will be better.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="fleudslipcon, post: 1489115, member: 37 Second half after first 3 minutes was beautiful to watch.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! Now, when they learn to consistently duplicate that effort and aggressive but controlled attacking style this will be a dangerous team.
It's a journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky