UCONN Women's success-Great for Women's Basketball | The Boneyard

UCONN Women's success-Great for Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
Very good article by Brooke Prior on state of Women's Basketball.

I am so proud of what Geno, Chris and all the great legacy of coaches and players that have made Connecticut the best Women's Basketball program of all time.

On the notion the Connecticut is bad for women’s basketball:

“Oh, the question that just keeps reinventing itself. As Connecticut went on their streak and that conversation seemed to be at every coffee shop and every talk radio in the world, my staunch stance was ‘No.’ Because Joe Smith who has no relation to women’s basketball and no desire to ever watch women’s basketball is going to pay attention to this because it’s a streak that’s unheard of. So you get all of these, our sport gets a window, an opening into a world of people who otherwise would not even hear a conversation about it. There’s just enough ‘Oh, let me see what’s going on here’ And then what we do with that moment when they say, ‘Let me see what’s going on here’ is up to us.

“But they gave us an opening as a sport. And I still think excellence is magnetic. I don’t buy the argument that it’s bad for the game. Watch them play. They play in a better, more efficient than a number of the best men’s teams in the country. Excellence is hard not to watch. We’re all drawn to it. Whether it’s a great singer on American Idol, or a great movie, great actors. You’re drawn to great stuff. Excellence is a magnet, so I don’t think it’s bad for women’s basketball.”

OU coach Sherri Coale on women's basketball: "It’s a mistake to try to be like the men"

Brooke Pryor
Sports OU Athletics Reporter

Brooke Pryor comes to The Oklahoman by way of North Carolina where she worked for a handful of organizations primarily covering UNC athletics. She covered UNC as the sports editor of the Daily Tar Heel, editor of Carolina Blue Magazine, and most recently as a staff writer at The North State Journal. She also spent a year and a half working at the Durham Herald-Sun as the N.C. Central beat writer where she honed her craft of amateur college band analysis. Though she comes from a state where basketball is king, she'll primarily cover OU football beginning with the 2016 season. If she's not in a press box or on the field, Brooke is probably out on the hunt for the best Chinese food takeout in Norman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope women's basketball never becomes men's basketball. To me it is a much more interesting game. I've said it before, I wish the men would raise their rim and play the game more the way the women do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom