UConn Women's Basketball Prepares for their First Game this Weekend | The Boneyard

UConn Women's Basketball Prepares for their First Game this Weekend

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Aubrey still out with an injury, but Amari "remained out of practice today"? With no mention of an injury? Oh boy... Let the speculation begin...!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Aubrey still out with an injury, but Amari "remained out of practice today"? With no mention of an injury? Oh boy... Let the speculation begin...!!
In another thread, Geno was quoted as saying that Amari had a doctor's appointment during today's practice, and that she has had several minor nagging injuries. It sounds as if it will be a while before she is able to contribute meaningfully.

Reaction Score
It’s true, they need to lose a couple of games during the regular season. You learn a lot about how a team reacts to a loss. I think it has the potential to really spark some growth and light a fire for them. Of course I personally want to see them go undefeated, but a loss will show what needs improvement rather than blowing out opponents by 30+.

Reaction Score
It’s true, they need to lose a couple of games during the regular season. You learn a lot about how a team reacts to a loss. I think it has the potential to really spark some growth and light a fire for them. Of course I personally want to see them go undefeated, but a loss will show what needs improvement rather than blowing out opponents by 30+.
Geno is a wise man.

Reaction Score

I agree. Teams learn a lot about themselves after a loss. A loss will either make or break a team.

Reaction Score
Geno is a wise man.
All Geno is doing is preparing everyone to the harsh reality that they will lose at least two games. It has nothing to do with the losses helping the team.

Reaction Score
All Geno is doing is preparing everyone to the harsh reality that they will lose at least two games. It has nothing to do with the losses helping the team.

Whatever you say, but I'll go with Geno's words which have more weight than yours. (advanced to the proper moment.)

Reaction Score
Cannot wait. Really want to know who are the 5 starters?

Reaction Score
If anything we don't play enough tough teams in my opinion. There are good things about winning a lot but you don't find your best players unless you see them against top competition. The Pac 12 may well have a better competitive environment now. Even the Big 10.

Reaction Score
In another thread, Geno was quoted as saying that Amari had a doctor's appointment during today's practice, and that she has had several minor nagging injuries. It sounds as if it will be a while before she is able to contribute meaningfully.
My bet is they have her focused almost entirely on conditioning. She never becomes the player they want without getting that energy level up.

Reaction Score
I'm very impressed with Geno's player development. It's his strongest asset IMO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I liked Liv's duck under move against the male practice player )good patience and footwork) and I liked Azzi telling Geno that in HS she liked playing defense more than offense (Oat the beginning)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If anything we don't play enough tough teams in my opinion. There are good things about winning a lot but you don't find your best players unless you see them against top competition. The Pac 12 may well have a better competitive environment now. Even the Big 10.
I wonder the extent to which that might have influenced Kiki Rice.

Reaction Score
Hey, UCONN lost "a couple" of games last year. They were certainly happy in Arkansas and Arizona.
Problem is, you don't get to choose or predict which games will be your "learning experience".
Although the Arkansas loss seemed to be a timely reminder that, yeah, defense is important.
They have to approach every game, with the intention of not only winning, but being dominant in every aspect.
They have to take the floor in Providence or against Georgetown with the same intensity and evil intentions as they would in South Carolina or Oregon. Maybe they should somehow start some combo of Nika, Aubrey, Mir and AE just to set a more aggressive tone from the get-go.
Ironically, their high seeding in the tourney last year meant they got the "easier" game against AZ , who were an unknown, rather than the "tough" game against SC who they had faced and defeated (however tight the game was) already.
After coming out on top of the nail biter against Baylor,and the look ahead to SC or Stanford, they were ripe for the big letdown.
I know, because I was guilty of taking the FF win for granted, in spite of recent history.
"Killer instinct" can be a wonderful thing if you don't have to bench people with 2 fouls 4 minutes into the 1st quarter.
I would rather call it "alert and active". How many times did Meaghen Culmo say "they need more movement and less standing around".
Geno and CD have done this before. No reason to think that they are played out, uninspired or out of ways to cope with the vastly improved competition. But that won't be the deciding factor.
Let's see how much ooomph will be coming from CW, ONO and "E".
Competitive edge and determination will have to come from the players.

Reaction Score
Incorrect. This message was directed at his players, no one else. “Prove to me that you’re good enough not to lose to anyone.” Geno does not want to..or expect to lose a game this year. Psychology 101.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom