UConn women's basketball great Sue Bird loves NIL in college sports. Why Geno Auriemma sees 'problems' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn women's basketball great Sue Bird loves NIL in college sports. Why Geno Auriemma sees 'problems'

Reaction Score
I agree with Coach Hutchins, coaches are teachers. In fact, there's no justification for college sports at all if they aren't. As a college prof, I feel this very strongly. It's what my 40 years in academia has shown me over and over again. But even that justification can feel a bit thin, since the main thing coaches can teach is character, and a school is not an ideal place for that lesson. Note that I distinguish what they teach from what they coach -- athletic skill is coached not taught according to this very narrow reading of the words. Feel free to redefine them.

But there are ways an athletic program can be good for a school, in school spirit and in a general encouragement to physical activity as key to intellectual development. Intercollegiate sports contributes to this too, though it may lose sight of this function sometimes.

The problem is, once athletics is part of the mission of a college, and once it becomes a big money operation, other imperatives apply, like property rights. Schools have profited off students name image and likeness for many decades, and in the case of student-athletes they got away with preventing the students from having a share in what is clearly a property right of theirs. it was always wrong, and now this has been rectified. We can worry about the distorting effect of NIL on the sports we love. But returning to the old unjust system is wrong.

And if boosters (or even administrators) at some schools are violating the current rules, those programs should be sanctioned. This is the same solution as the NCAA has always had.
As a past college athlete (dark ages), and current Prof like you, I cannot agree more with your assessment. :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I may be a biased homer, however I believe that UConn is one of the best programs to prepare the players for whatever comes after graduation - WNBA, overseas play, a career, etc. The reality of making a pro team anywhere, is harsh, and coaches should ensure from day one on campus that even if the ultimate goal is playing in the W, there must be prep and hard work for whatever may come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom