UConn Women's article that UConn Men's fans should read | The Boneyard

UConn Women's article that UConn Men's fans should read

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
"Second-ranked UConn (22-1) competes in a rump league called the American Athletic Conference, or A.A.C., where the level of football is as middling as the league’s finances."

that's the most polite slam I've heard in a while :)

Reaction Score
It will be easier to stay "relevant" for them as we know, much easier. Heck he didnt' play 3 of his best players yesterday and still won by almost 50. He's a better coach than all of whom he coaches again, they have no shot even if he can't get Top 10 players - but he will. Women's coaches are mostly brutal as the referees, basically look like hacks when they face Geno.

What dumb**s would play for anyone else other than Geno because ultimately in women's basketball the great teams win by a lot during the regular season no matter what conference they're in. In women's basketball do you think most recruits give a crap about whether they play Washington State, Wake Forest, Auburn vs Tulsa, Memphis and East Carolina? No it's just make me better and when March comes lets win it all again. Totally different world.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It will be easier to stay "relevant" for them as we know, much easier. Heck he didnt' play 3 of his best players yesterday and still won by almost 50. He's a better coach than all of whom he coaches again, they have no shot even if he can't get Top 10 players - but he will. Women's coaches are mostly brutal as the referees, basically look like hacks when they face Geno.

What dumb**s would play for anyone else other than Geno because ultimately in women's basketball the great teams win by a lot during the regular season no matter what conference they're in. In women's basketball do you think most recruits give a crap about whether they play Washington State, Wake Forest, Auburn vs Tulsa, Memphis and East Carolina? No it's just make me better and when March comes lets win it all again. Totally different world.
yeah, regardless of who the women play in conference, they are the most known in the sport and the most talked about... they are on espn more than any other team and they all develop throughout their careers into great players. they play anyone anywhere, they arent scared of any team... they're the tiger woods of womens basketball, womens basketball needs them. They sell out the arenas both home and away. They're the best in the bizz

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“But we haven’t had any problems recruiting players,” Auriemma said. “We haven’t had any problems in terms of what our goals are to win a national championship. That hasn’t been an issue at all. Will it become one? Not as long as I’m there.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think the point is that, in the women's basketball world, Geno is a bigger/better brand than UConn itself--especially if we remain in a non-P5 conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"Second-ranked UConn (22-1) competes in a rump league called the American Athletic Conference, or A.A.C., where the level of football is as middling as the league’s finances."

that's the most polite slam I've heard in a while :)
Funny coming from someone who works for a company that is in a business that is rapidly declining.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Women's basketball has zero impact on whether or not we get into a P5 conference. At best, it's a 'add-on accessory' at checkout.

Reaction Score
Pfff this writer can't see that well in to the future. UConn will either be in a P5 conference, will have found a home in one the broken-off 4 superconferences, or the athletic department will be essentially dead before Geno retires. He's still got plenty of coaching ahead of him.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
i'm looking forward to monday's game. should be exciting.
Hopefully, Geno stays for another 10 years.

Reaction Score
I thought everyone here knew that UConn needs o leave the AAC at some point in the next decade, or athletics die. Doesn't everyone already know this?

As far as the women's game goes, there should be no worry at all about a post-Auriemma future. Either UConn is in the P5 or the question is moot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course UConn's done when Geno leaves. They might hang on a bit longer with Shea Ralph, but the years of dominance will be over.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Once Geno decides to move on, UCONN really needs to consider shifting its financial priorities around. When we're playing our WBB coach more money than our football coach, something is awry. All the credit in the world goes to him and the job he's done. I just hope that UCONN doesn't feel obligated to continue to place WBB as 1st or 2nd on the Athletic Department pecking order while we are fighting like hell to get into a P5 conference.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If a football coach achieves a tenth of what Geno has, they would get a huge raise. Don't worry about what Geno gets paid.
Worry about when he leaves. The women's team adds big value to UCONN and, while they are not a deal maker for a P-5 birth, they are a plus.
The women are exempt from harm from our non P-5 status as long as Geno is there and not a day longer.

Reaction Score
Once Geno decides to move on, UCONN really needs to consider shifting its financial priorities around. When we're playing our WBB coach more money than our football coach, something is awry. All the credit in the world goes to him and the job he's done. I just hope that UCONN doesn't feel obligated to continue to place WBB as 1st or 2nd on the Athletic Department pecking order while we are fighting like hell to get into a P5 conference.
If you think UConn2000 happens without the women's NC in 1995, you are sadly mistaken.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Where does the money come from? If we had more TV revenue and sold out every game at the Rent we'd already be paying the football staff more. If the football team is successful, and if the fans return to buying tickets over a sustained period, the FB coach will negotiate and extension and it'll bump up a little. If UConn gets a P5 invite (however far away that is) and is successful there, then you'll see a P5 level football salary.

Anyway, if Manuel is still the AD when Geno retires, and UConn is still in the AAC, my guess is it'll be a situation similar to when Ollie was hired. Whether the AD goes with Shea Ralph, Jamelle Elliott or someone else, the contract won't be what Geno is getting now, it'll be more modest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom