UConn Women’s Basketball Freshman Christyn Williams Not Short on Confidence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Women’s Basketball Freshman Christyn Williams Not Short on Confidence

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Imagine if she was playing baseball. She'd need a size 28 cap. :p:D

I'm thinking visor lol
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing small.jpg

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love Christyn's confidence. I am looking forward to watching her play. According to Coach Geno, Christyn has confidence, and she is an aggressive player. All the boxes of a great player are ✔.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

"Samuelson had high praise for the freshman."
“I think Christyn has stepped up in a big way for us,” Samuelson said. “She’s in a unique position where she kind of fits in with our group that we have out there. You know, losing that two guard in Kia [Nurse], she can step in there and she plays well with us.”

"Crystal Dangerfield likes what she sees so far from Williams."
“Playing with Christyn is great,” Dangerfield said. “As another guard, she can take care of the ball just as well as I can, so I can play off the ball.”
"Dangerfield also noted that the pace is definitely faster when Williams is on the court."
“We get up and down the floor, and I think that’s just going to be the trend for our team the entire year: to get up and down the floor as quick as we can,” Dangerfield said.

"Even head coach Geno Auriemma, who is often quick to criticize his freshman, seems impressed with her performance so far."
“Christyn Williams has come in as a freshman and kind of not acted like one,” Auriemma said. “She doesn’t have the mindset of a freshman”.
“She’s supremely talented and she’s supremely confident,” Auriemma said. “[Williams] has an aggressive mentality.”

“We’re going to get that championship,” Williams said back in June. “People are going to feel UConn. We’re going to win a national championship.”
When asked about it at AAC media day, Auriemma said Williams apologized to him for the comment about a week later via text, to which he replied, “I’m glad you said it, because now you have to live up to it.”

Ponder this for a moment............................Christyn has attended many D-1 women's college BB games in the last two years. She's attended every UConn practice so far which began on or about October 10, roughly 9 practices, in addition to all of the pick up games on campus during the summer, and is reportedly holding her own.

She still maintains her swag and confidence, in spite of going against some of the best players in D1 WCBB.
When was the last time you saw or heard of a "UConn" player that boasted as much as Williams has, and didn't back it up? :rolleyes: She knows what she put out there, and that it went viral. She knows she created her own gauntlet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

"Samuelson had high praise for the freshman."
“I think Christyn has stepped up in a big way for us,” Samuelson said. “She’s in a unique position where she kind of fits in with our group that we have out there. You know, losing that two guard in Kia [Nurse], she can step in there and she plays well with us.”

"Crystal Dangerfield likes what she sees so far from Williams."
“Playing with Christyn is great,” Dangerfield said. “As another guard, she can take care of the ball just as well as I can, so I can play off the ball.”
"Dangerfield also noted that the pace is definitely faster when Williams is on the court."
“We get up and down the floor, and I think that’s just going to be the trend for our team the entire year: to get up and down the floor as quick as we can,” Dangerfield said.

"Even head coach Geno Auriemma, who is often quick to criticize his freshman, seems impressed with her performance so far."
“Christyn Williams has come in as a freshman and kind of not acted like one,” Auriemma said. “She doesn’t have the mindset of a freshman”.
“She’s supremely talented and she’s supremely confident,” Auriemma said. “[Williams] has an aggressive mentality.”

“We’re going to get that championship,” Williams said back in June. “People are going to feel UConn. We’re going to win a national championship.”
When asked about it at AAC media day, Auriemma said Williams apologized to him for the comment about a week later via text, to which he replied, “I’m glad you said it, because now you have to live up to it.”

I don't think this has been posted, if it has, my apologies. I checked, I did not see it.

Oct 18 2019 - UConn Freshman Christyn Williams Has Apologized To Auriemma For Championship Prediction, But Still Exudes Confidence

When UConn coach Geno Auriemma glanced down at his phone this summer, he saw he had a text from freshman Christyn Williams apologizing.

She hadn’t meant to come off the way she did at Auriemma’s annual charity golf tournament when she said the words that eventually made headlines.

“We’re going to get that championship,” Williams said at the tournament. “People are going to feel UConn. We’re going to win the national championship.”

Williams hadn’t thought about how her words might appear to others, she said in her text to Auriemma. Her coach wasn’t mad, though. The confidence the freshman exudes is one of the things Auriemma loves about her, and one of the attributes that’s helped her transition to college basketball. The belief she has in herself has translated onto the court in early practices, making Williams an early standout on the team.

[Rest of story]

Reaction Score
I don't think this has been posted, if it has, my apologies. I checked, I did not see it.

Oct 18 2019 - UConn Freshman Christyn Williams Has Apologized To Auriemma For Championship Prediction, But Still Exudes Confidence

When UConn coach Geno Auriemma glanced down at his phone this summer, he saw he had a text from freshman Christyn Williams apologizing.

She hadn’t meant to come off the way she did at Auriemma’s annual charity golf tournament when she said the words that eventually made headlines.

“We’re going to get that championship,” Williams said at the tournament. “People are going to feel UConn. We’re going to win the national championship.”

Williams hadn’t thought about how her words might appear to others, she said in her text to Auriemma. Her coach wasn’t mad, though. The confidence the freshman exudes is one of the things Auriemma loves about her, and one of the attributes that’s helped her transition to college basketball. The belief she has in herself has translated onto the court in early practices, making Williams an early standout on the team.

[Rest of story]

I believe the story in Oct 2019 will be "UConn Coach Auriemma has Apologized to Williams For (Doubting) Championship Prediction, But Still Exudes Confidence"

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
.....“We’re going to get that championship,” Williams said at the tournament. “People are going to feel UConn. We’re going to win the national championship.” .....

I think the way she put it is more telling than the statement 'We will win the National Championship'. When she says "People are going to feel UConn", for me, that points to a feeling of sadness/annoyance that UConn is going through some recent indignities and that UConn should return to the level it belongs. For me, this points to an unusual level of pride in the program and it's history for a newbie. I know she deeply respects Diana and I believe she feels it is her duty to try to bring UConn to the next period of dynasty as Diana did (with help of course).

Maybe I am projecting my own feelings but ... :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom