UConn women’s basketball’s Nika Mühl stands out with her toughness and stubborness, and Geno Auriemma wouldn’t want it any other way | The Boneyard

UConn women’s basketball’s Nika Mühl stands out with her toughness and stubborness, and Geno Auriemma wouldn’t want it any other way

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UConn women’s basketball team was facing a lull earlier this year, one of those stretches where it had practice after practice with no games in sight, and the Huskies were looking lethargic. Even coach Geno Auriemma was battling some internal weariness.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
of all the quotes, this may be the best for all her team mates

“The only thing you really have to do is just give 100 percent every day,” Mühl said. “There’s no promises. But if you give 100 percent on with this team, with this coaching staff, you’re definitely going to be better. You have to be.”

Reaction Score
It's a really good article. Nika is a pit bull on the court, which makes her so much fun to watch. So imagine the pride back home in Croatia if/when Nika helps lead UConn to the National Championship this coming season. Nika will be an absolute rock star! And if you're the top high school age talent in the country you'd be thinking to yourself, "I wonder if I'm good enough to go to UConn"?

Reaction Score
Hmm.. Reminds me of another #10, headstrong (confident), low-volume shooting, loss-hating, team-first player of a bygone era at Uconn.
I'm with Geno.. Give me ten number- 10-hearted players and I wouldn't want it any other way either!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The article is discussed in Member Of The Nika Club below.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Do I not recall somebody writing that Philippou's
not so enthusiastic or loyal regarding the team...
Don't get that flavor here.

Reaction Score
she's gonna be in the first wnba pick remember my woord

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really good article and another great quote:

I was never the most talented kid on the team,” Mühl said. “I would just be a hard worker, doing dirty stuff on the court that not a lot of people like to do, and I would get my place from that, making people around me better. I didn’t have to get accolades. I just wanted to be a good teammate and a hard worker.”

Reaction Score
Really good article and another great quote:

I was never the most talented kid on the team,” Mühl said. “I would just be a hard worker, doing dirty stuff on the court that not a lot of people like to do, and I would get my place from that, making people around me better. I didn’t have to get accolades. I just wanted to be a good teammate and a hard worker.”
Nika will play a lot and probably start again this coming season because she brings great balance to the team. It's not a mistake that Geno and Paige praise her so much. She does the dirty and that allows others to shine.

Reaction Score
Nika will play a lot and probably start again this coming season because she brings great balance to the team. It's not a mistake that Geno and Paige praise her so much. She does the dirty and that allows others to shine.
I expect Nika to either start or be the first player off the bench next year.
Do I not recall somebody writing that Philippou's
not so enthusiastic or loyal regarding the team...
Don't get that flavor here.
That was me! I think she grew to like the team more and more as the season went on.

Reaction Score
It finally just occurred to me who I saw this year when I watched Nika play. She's UConn's Arya Stark.
Absolutely love that! Could immediately picture Nika in Arya's garb when I read this. And the personality traits are uncannily similar - stubborn, driven, intense, methodical in mastering skill after skill and fiercely loyal to her family. Just as Arya's character became a fan favorite building from that very first episode, I have always expected Nika to continually grow into a tremendous fan favorite over her four years. Next year's title is in the bag, we already know how the story will unfold, the only question is whose pocket Arya, I mean Nika, will pick to ''ice" the NC at the eleventh hour. Geno's and CD's script ends slightly differently than GOT, it has their 'little assassin' sticking around a few years to rule wcbb with her family before heading off to new adventures. I can't wait for season two to start in the Fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom