UConn wins Charlie Creme's Toughest Schedule Trophy

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
March Madness Win GIF by SportsManias

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As much as I love playing teams this caliber, the November schedule is daunting and can go in either direction. I would like to enjoy my Thanksgiving, so hoping that our players can step up, because they will be in the spotlight early and often, and as a diehard fan, I am hoping for the best. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
The other teams we play are in the same place we are, at the beginning of the season and not gelling yet. But, we are UCONN and I believe that we will be a little more prepared than the other teams, primarily because of GENO being the coach. Time will tell.GO HUSKIES!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As much as I love playing teams this caliber, the November schedule is daunting and can go in either direction. I would like to enjoy my Thanksgiving, so hoping that our players can step up, because they will be in the spotlight early and often, and as a diehard fan, I am hoping for the best. Go Huskies.
This team is going to be tested early and often, but that’s exactly what it needs to reach the best version of itself. I am very excited about this year. South Carolina remains a daunting opponent, but I think something special is brewing in Storrs.

(We are still doomed though.)

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Early challenges show weakness and Geno will be ready and able to fill the various gaps that have been exposed. He doesn't want those exposures late in the season. A HOF coach for good reason.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez, Charlie mentions South Dakota State as an opponent of Creighton, but doesn't present them as one of the top OOC schedules. I'd probably put them right behind Tennessee -- they have South Carolina, UCLA, two more games in the Battle4Atlantis, Northern Iowa, K State, Mississippi State, and a few others.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He's very correct to point out that South Carolina's and Stanford's nonconference schedules are not as tough this year as we're accustomed to seeing.

LSU should really be at the top of the list. Kim's OOC is embarrassing. Just varying flavors of cream puffs, lots of "guarantee" games at the PMAC; only one true road game (at Tulane) plus a forgettable two-game holiday tournament.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't understand why Notre Dame and Stanford don't play each other in women's basketball. It seems the schools play each other in football every year. I wonder why that relationship has not been extended to women's basketball.

Reaction Score
One thing that is very different for us vs. contenders from the top 5 conferences, is how long newcomers have to justify being part of the rotation. For many of the top ranked teams the preconference schedule is like an extended training camp. Many games against weaker competition, with minutes available for all players after the game has been decided. Those minutes give newcomers a chance to make their case to be in the rotation and let them grow into that role before the more critical conference schedule.

For us, we face teams we could lose to from the git go, meaning a role in the rotation has to be earned in practice before any game experience. Then even if you performed in practice, if you don't look ready in your early game experience, you may lose that rotation role. Geno often uses a short rotation in these early competitive games.

So if you don't make the rotation for the out of conference early schedule, you may have to wait for mop up minutes in the easier conference games to make your case. Perform very well there and maybe you can get in the rotation before the tournament.

I kind of wish it was the other way around for us, but given our national reputation in a non Power 5 conference, we pretty much have to front load the most competitive games like we do, even if it means our newcomers face a very fast learning curve to prove themselves.

Reaction Score
I think we will handle this (admittedly) brutal schedule in our usual dominating fashion but even if we lose two, three, or even six of these games, the payoff is that we will be battle tested and ready for the tournament. That is far more important than the possible loss of a few games in the regular season. As sickening as it may be to contemplate a loss to SC, ND, Tenn, or (snicker) Maryland, all of those, and more, would be well worth it when we see these girls hoisting the trophy and mussing Geno’s hair on April 2!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
He's very correct to point out that South Carolina's and Stanford's nonconference schedules are not as tough this year as we're accustomed to seeing.

LSU should really be at the top of the list. Kim's OOC is embarrassing. Just varying flavors of cream puffs, lots of "guarantee" games at the PMAC; only one true road game (at Tulane) plus a forgettable two-game holiday tournament.
Hungry Night Court GIF by Laff

Reaction Score
I suspect that this schedule was put together with Paige in the picture. At that point we would have easily been ranked #1 or #2 preseason. Alas, without Paige, I think we’re capable of winning it all, but the early season games will be quite tough.

Reaction Score
UConn might as well figure out what they need to work on as soon as possible so they can prepare for the NCAA tournament. It’s pretty much a given UConn will be in the tournament, so if a few losses happen, it won’t hurt UConn.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Seems we have this discussion every year. I realize that because of the general weakness of our conference, we have to schedule top schools for OOC part of the schedule. I’m grateful Geno and staff do this.

But I wonder, given the reality that the majority of the tough games come so early, if this really hones the team much for the NCAAT? Because it’s also a reality that for most of the backend of our schedule, we’ll be playing relatively weak teams. Does some of the toughening and honing from the front end of the schedule get lost as a result?

Thoughts?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Seems we have this discussion every year. I realize that because of the general weakness of our conference, we have to schedule top schools for OOC part of the schedule. I’m grateful Geno and staff do this.

But I wonder, given the reality that the majority of the tough games come so early, if this really hones the team much for the NCAAT? Because it’s also a reality that for most of the backend of our schedule, we’ll be playing relatively weak teams. Does some of the toughening and honing from the front end of the schedule get lost as a result?

Thoughts?
It's a given that the during the last 10-11 years, the teams in the AAC and BIG East conferences were/are not strong enough to impress the tournament selection committee during seeding. Wanting a high seed, UConn is thus forced to front-load their schedule with ranked teams, most of which will only play them during November and December. Remember, scheduling OOC schools like UConn does in January and February plays havoc with scheduling BIG East Conference games. The BE schedulers have to work around those games that have already been scheduled.

The ideal thing for UConn to do would be to spread their out of conference (OOC) games throughout the first 3 months of the season. That's "IF" those ranked schools will agree to play them that late in the season. You can only schedule teams that will play you when it's convenient for BOTH schools. Most (not all) schools play ALL of their OOC games in November and December. The BIG East conference is improving. It had 4 schools get in the the NCAAT last year. Butler hired a new coach that should turn that program around in a couple of years. Competition in the BE is not what we'd like it to be, but it's getting better each year.

For purely selfish reasons, I'd like to see UConn play a home and home series with Stanford and UCLA every year. Of course that would mean that UConn would have to come to Southern California every other year. :D THAT would be nirvana for me. It should not be hard for both of these schools to find another ranked program on the east coast willing to play them every year, or every other year to make the trip east worth while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
I don't think so, the mantra from Geno and the staff is always the same. Some non starters will get more PT but the UConn mantra will not dissolve. The toughening and honing is very real in practice every day. The team is faced with the same objective every game.
Unfortunately they have met defeat at the hands of better teams recently in the final four. Hard for some to understand.

The game has evolved as Geno has hoped it would, this with his sharing with so many other coaches. He now has to compete with knowledge passed on. Looking forward to #12 before he retires..... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom