UConn will visit Jordan Bell in mid-October | The Boneyard

UConn will visit Jordan Bell in mid-October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kid is really high on UConn.

Article about him and UConn from beginning of August: http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2012/08/josh-bell-calls-uconn-dream-school.html?m=1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348345950.075537.jpg

H

Husk-E

I know we don't want to jump to conclusions, but why haven't we offered him yet? if we're his dream school and he can play, I don't see the problem. He's a great defensive player, and a very solid big man, exactly what we need. I really hope we get his kid.

Reaction Score
I know we don't want to jump to conclusions, but why haven't we offered him yet? if we're his dream school and he can play, I don't see the problem. He's a great defensive player, and a very solid big man, exactly what we need. I really hope we get his kid.

Exactly. If we're not getting Woodson (for grades or whatever reason), then we need to get this kid.

Reaction Score
Just thinking maybe the one thing which scares them is he is listed at 6'7" which means he's 6'5 1/2" maybe 6'6"..........I like that size in power guys like Adrien, Barkley, Minland, Abrams etc etc....but not in a thin PF/C......

If he fits then grab him, looks like a nice athlete from what I saw and pretty tough kid.........but they need size!!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bell is listed on ESPN at 6'6'' 190lbs...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's a reason he's not well sought out for. A 6'6'' power forward in the Big East means trouble.

Reaction Score
There's a reason he's not well sought out for. A 6'6'' power forward in the Big East means trouble.

KFree and Jeff Adrien seemed to do just fine. As for his listing, Rivals has him at 6'7 and 205, he obviously has to bulk up but I think most UConn fans would agree Roscoe was better suited for PF than SF and he weighed about the same and was about the same height. Its college, if you're athletic, active, and have good length you can do just fine being listed with those dimensions. Cleveland Melvin wasn't all that much different from a build standpoint and UConn recruited him as a PF and that's what he plays at DePaul.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-he is jeff adrien in 3 years is my bet
-with a full 13 ships i have no problem with us taking a flyer on him. i am in the same boat with dukes(usc) this winter if we find more slots available
-the reason we havn't offered is becuase we shouldn't until we miss on xrm's teammate and that juco kid. then we can check out depth chart and see if its time to offer him or another big.
-the kid loves uconn, so were in a good position. use that to our adavntage and don't look like a desperate program. we have time.

Reaction Score
KFree and Jeff Adrien seemed to do just fine. As for his listing, Rivals has him at 6'7 and 205, he obviously has to bulk up but I think most UConn fans would agree Roscoe was better suited for PF than SF and he weighed about the same and was about the same height. Its college, if you're athletic, active, and have good length you can do just fine being listed with those dimensions. Cleveland Melvin wasn't all that much different from a build standpoint and UConn recruited him as a PF and that's what he plays at DePaul.

Melvin has turned out to be a very nice player but far from a PF and in all reality Roscoe only would have been serviceable as a PF......now I agree fully about KF especially as he wasn't as big as jeff but his active, aggressive style was great for his size......hey if the kid is in that mold take a flyer like Dan said, good get!!! Kid loves the Huskies, can block shots and likes to rebound from what the media is reporting........

Reaction Score
Melvin has turned out to be a very nice player but far from a PF and in all reality Roscoe only would have been serviceable as a PF......now I agree fully about KF especially as he wasn't as big as jeff but his active, aggressive style was great for his size......hey if the kid is in that mold take a flyer like Dan said, good get!!! Kid loves the Huskies, can block shots and likes to rebound from what the media is reporting........

He plays PF for DePaul, he's the prototypical college PF in an NBA SF's body. He's expanded the range on his jumper a bit(although he took too many 3s last year to the detriment of his efficiency), but he's still a face-up PF with great athleticism and can put it on the floor to take you off the bounce, and he's great around the rim because he's a quick jumper that can get up and down faster than slower bigs. From watching some clips of Long Beach Poly games on Youtube, Bell is kind of the same offensively, he has no post up game at all but great athleticism and a high motor, and he actually passes it pretty well off the dribble.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
A big difference in Bell compared to Roscoe is that Bell knows that his strength is on defense and rebounding and is not coming in thinking he is going to be a star at the 3. It sounds like he would be more accepting of the role that Roscoe was asked to play. Still, he is very slender and would get knocked around by Big East heavyweights. He sounds like he could be a good addition unless all the top players suddenly want to come play for KO at UConn.

Reaction Score
Get the sense that Bell and Facey have very similar skill sets. Shot blockers, rebounders, hustlers, but very raw offensively.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My first instinct is to say Ollie ought to take the best players he can get. A bird in the hand. At first glance, that would seem to solidify his status as a competent recruiter in spite of only having a 1 year contract.

But Ollie's smarter than that. He seems to be shooting really high at several kids (Parker, XRM, etc.), and if he lands even one of them, IMHO it pretty much guarantees he's the permanent HC.

At that point, I'm not sure what Manual would need to see from a coaching perspective for games this year. Building a successful college program is 60% recruiting, 30% developing them in practices, and 10% game time coaching. By that I mean if you have enough talent and develop them well in practices, you will make your fair share of sweet 16's etc etc. It takes an extra special brilliant mind to take an underdog to a NC like JC did at least twice.

Maybe you could argue with the percentages I used, but IMHO recruiting talented kids is the most important aspect of putting winning teams on the court. The more I see and read about Ollie, the more impressed I am - he seems to be the complete package and the real deal.

Reaction Score
agree with your point about recruiting being the most important ericsandiego. To specify your point further and get rid of some of the critics of that remark I will add that recruiting just talent doesnt cut it. Recruiting high character/coachable guys that fit the system and have talent is 60% of the battle. The programs that land good talent but fail to be a top team do not fit all of the recruiting criteria. In fact, they often only fit the talent criteria and not the other two.

Reaction Score
My first instinct is to say Ollie ought to take the best players he can get. A bird in the hand. At first glance, that would seem to solidify his status as a competent recruiter in spite of only having a 1 year contract.

But Ollie's smarter than that. He seems to be shooting really high at several kids (Parker, XRM, etc.), and if he lands even one of them, IMHO it pretty much guarantees he's the permanent HC.

At that point, I'm not sure what Manual would need to see from a coaching perspective for games this year. Building a successful college program is 60% recruiting, 30% developing them in practices, and 10% game time coaching. By that I mean if you have enough talent and develop them well in practices, you will make your fair share of sweet 16's etc etc. It takes an extra special brilliant mind to take an underdog to a NC like JC did at least twice.

Maybe you could argue with the percentages I used, but IMHO recruiting talented kids is the most important aspect of putting winning teams on the court. The more I see and read about Ollie, the more impressed I am - he seems to be the complete package and the real deal.

Maybe Ollie likes his chances with some of the higher rated kids? One can hope.................

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe Ollie likes his chances with some of the higher rated kids? One can hope.................
Sure - i mean they seem to be on the short list for many of these kids. I"m just so impressed with Ollie. He is doing a great job so far - he seems to be doing everything right. He's such a terrific role model for any kid and I continue to love everything I read about him. I was one of the people who saw nothing wrong with the 1 year contract, and I still don't, but i think Manuel will be hard pressed not to extend it should Ollie reel in just 1 elite 2013 recruit...

Reaction Score
Just thinking maybe the one thing which scares them is he is listed at 6'7" which means he's 6'5 1/2" maybe 6'6"..........I like that size in power guys like Adrien, Barkley, Minland, Abrams etc etc....but not in a thin PF/C......

If he fits then grab him, looks like a nice athlete from what I saw and pretty tough kid.........but they need size!!!

Of course, KFree ,Dønny Marshall, and Jeff Adrien come to mind in the height department, but they were 230, 235ish. If he's a combo forward and can play, then I say go get him.

Reaction Score
Of course, KFree ,Dønny Marshall, and Jeff Adrien come to mind in the height department, but they were 230, 235ish. If he's a combo forward and can play, then I say go get him.

Yep these guys were similar in size disadvantage for sure and I like those kind of players........but you need to have the bulk and strength to overcome........maybe he can do that with a red shirt year who knows..........The real tough guys I remember around the basket in the BE were like McCready, Abrams, Middleton, Troutman and so many others, but all had size and width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom