UConn will defend NCAA title with cameras focused: 'Look behind the scenes' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn will defend NCAA title with cameras focused: 'Look behind the scenes'

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This is the type of thing UK and Duke have been getting for years. It would be awesome for recruiting.

I’d love for the football team to get something similar. The presence of Mora and the story of him rebuilding the program could make for an interesting documentary. Given the state of our program, Jim Mora himself would be the draw of the program. It would be great for marketing the program to recruits and for realignment.
have you watched the first two football games?

Reaction Score
No it won’t. Grow up.
Not sure either way but it most certainly could. Not a huge fan of it but Danny and the staff hopefully will keep the kids grounded.

Reaction Score
You're missing the other side of it.

The era we live in. You could make no better recruiting pitch for kids these days than a hard knocks style type of attention . That's what they live for.
I think winning os a much better recruitment pitch

Reaction Score
Quote from Hurley in article:

“It’s definitely scary, but we're proud of how we do things,”
That's leadership

It's great prep for the bright lights of the NBA. Easy to see how it can raise our recruiting profile

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m pro this idea, but I’m surprised how many people are pretending the obvious negatives don’t exist. I trust the staff to navigate those challenges, and none are so risky that they outweigh the positives.

Reaction Score
The team got the most coverage it has ever received last year through the in-house produced series on UConn+ and then won a National Championship. No secrets were shared, no distractions were created. The fans got to see a little more behind the scenes and the guys took care of business. The world will not end.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The team got the most coverage it has ever received last year through the in-house produced series on UConn+ and then won a National Championship. No secrets were shared, no distractions were created. The fans got to see a little more behind the scenes and the guys took care of business. The world will not end.

Add to that all the invitations Hurley got to appear on podcasts and mainstream media. How well he was received and how he handled them.

And NBA selection night.

Just keep shining the light on the bb capitol of the world through success.

Reaction Score

Was about to post that. The Marching On video was not only amazing from a fan’s perspective, but objectively a great production. If this same series was posted for a Duke or UNC or Kansas championship run, it’d probably go viral nationally

Yes, more cameras would mean more distractions. That’s on the coaching staff to manage, and I think they are up for that job. If they succeed, the UConn brand will get more and more valuable. That’s good for everybody

Reaction Score
No it won’t. Grow up.
I actually think the level of media attention as determined by the coaches is good for the program and team in a well-balanced and measured way, and fun for us as fans. I was just vocalizing the possible downside of too much media exposure. Keep your snide little comments to yourself be yetch.

Reaction Score
Interesting. UConn stepping up their media presence.

A videographer followed Hurley’s every move Friday, part of in-house productions and a beefed-up approach to social engagement on the part of the men’s basketball program, the athletic department, and Learfield.

More projects are under consideration, Hurley said. UConn has been approached by several groups from an entertainment industry that is starving for original content amid the ongoing writer’s strike.

Hurley said UConn’s entire season might be documented, a behind-the-scenes, all-access show that would air sometime in 2024. Amazon Prime is one possibility, Hurley said. He might be mic’d up during games. Cameras would be everywhere, in the locker rooms, in meetings, at practices.

Alternate access:

Dan Hurley, UConn men's basketball will defend NCAA title with cameras focused: 'Look behind the scenes'

Not thrilled with this idea.

Practices can be intense and all it would take for a clip to get out showing a coach getting in a players face or an off the cuff or heat of the moment comment by a player or coach to backfire on the program.

Even joking around can be taken out of context or misinterpreted especially in today's political, too sensitive world.

It seems that Hurley cultivated a great environment among the players and coaches and would hate to see that ruined.

Appearing at media related events, appearing on tv shows, podcasts etc can all be good and highlight the program and assist with recruiting.

All access to the program at practices, locker room, travelling etc is over the top.

The best recruiting pitch is keep winning.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not at all. Not acknowledging something doesn’t mean it was missed.

I’m sure you would agree that winning back to back NC’s or another deep tournament run would be just as, if not more, valuable in recruiting as a media piece. The staff should consider if this group might be distracted reducing chances of that happening.

I felt Zl was OTT in his response to SonofRobert particularly given Hurley was weighing the situation exactly the same way.

The best situation would be that the players love the attention. That it motivates them to focus and prove to the world how good they are. And does not add additional pressure on them because a spotlight is pointed at them before the season begins.

The other side to your coin is the season is documented and the team crashes. A bad season after an NC is bad enough. HuskyHawk has made that clear in his thesis about KU vs. UConn. Documenting it would be a lot worse for the program.
I have a thesis? Cool. Is someone giving me a PhD?

As for miking the team up, I just hope it doesn't change the way Dan does things. I hope we have sufficient editorial control that he and the players and staff feel comfortable saying what they would otherwise. If that happens, this would be really interesting for all of us.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Was about to post that. The Marching On video was not only amazing from a fan’s perspective, but objectively a great production. If this same series was posted for a Duke or UNC or Kansas championship run, it’d probably go viral nationally

Yes, more cameras would mean more distractions. That’s on the coaching staff to manage, and I think they are up for that job. If they succeed, the UConn brand will get more and more valuable. That’s good for everybody
I loved it and agree about the production quality - but it felt like it could have been marketed better. You really had to dig to find that series.

Reaction Score
Being on TV was never why bad teams were bad. They were bad because they were bad.
There’s a pretty wide gap between being a bad team, and a team’s focus/chemistry being negatively impacted by too much attention.

It may or may not be detrimental. It obviously has huge benefits, and I hope it happens for selfish reasons, but that’s a terrible strawman you’ve put up.

Reaction Score
I’m pro this idea, but I’m surprised how many people are pretending the obvious negatives don’t exist. I trust the staff to navigate those challenges, and none are so risky that they outweigh the positives.
This.

I’m also surprised how many don’t think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Reaction Score
Because Hard Knocks has never hurt a team.
Bad example. Most of the teams involved in Hard Knocks dont want to be a part of it. Meanwhile, Mahomes chose to give Netflix access last year and all he did was win a SB and an MVP.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bad example. Most of the teams involved in Hard Knocks dont want to be a part of it.
The Jets wanted to be a part of it more than once. Only person it helped was Rex Ryan.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The Jets wanted to be a part of it more than once. Only person it helped was Rex Ryan.
Why? Did a bunch of women send him foot pics and some shoes to smell after?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom