I don't know how good those teams will be next year, but:
  • UNC, Auburn, and ISU are around the top 10
  • Dayton is top 25
  • MSU is on the cusp
  • Colorado is a bubble team
  • Memphis might be better

That's a hell of a field.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love the potential exposure and great matchups. Hate the likely late games.

Reaction Score
Love the potential exposure and great matchups. Hate the likely late games.
It can be pretty random. They might actually be early afternoon games. The champ games aren't late usually. If we're in like the 5th place game, yeah that might be late

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great to see it is headed back to Lahaina Civic Center.

Lots of familiar faces on the team list. Feels like we play at least one of UNC, Michigan State, and Iowa State every year
I feel like it's the same group of teams in every tournament!

It kinda works that way.

You can only play in Maui once every X years. Same for all the other MTE's. And they want representatives from all the major conferences. And the marquee names will always go first.
So, if Maui has a chance to get UConn once every five years they're not passing over UConn for Butler or Seton Hall.

And that leads to certain schools getting in a rotational rut with others.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It kinda works that way.

You can only play in Maui once every X years. Same for all the other MTE's. And they want representatives from all the major conferences. And the marquee names will always go first.
So, if Maui has a chance to get UConn once every five years they're not passing over UConn for Butler or Seton Hall.

And that leads to certain schools getting in a rotational rut with others.
That's the thing (at least with schools that are marquee names), two or three of them often end up within the same rotation.

Reaction Score
Was in Lahaina over thanksgiving this year. Did not think it was possible for the civic center to host another game. That area is legitimately destroyed.

Reaction Score
i'll feel better about an 8th place finish if we're coming off back to backs.

Reaction Score
i'll feel better about an 8th place finish if we're coming off back to backs.
8th place finish where? You can’t be talking about the Big East

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It can be pretty random. They might actually be early afternoon games. The champ games aren't late usually. If we're in like the 5th place game, yeah that might be late
I will wait and see. I generally prefer never to play west of Lawrence.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how Lahaina is hosting. I figured it would be years before the invitational was ever there again. If anyone on the Yard is going, please refrain from renting Airbnb or other accommodations using houses. There was already a major housing crisis on the entire island. Many residents of Lahaina are still living in tents, camping on Kaanapali Beach, etc. Families have been evicted out of hotel rooms.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how Lahaina is hosting. I figured it would be years before the invitational was ever there again. If anyone on the Yard is going, please refrain from renting Airbnb or other accommodations using houses. There was already a major housing crisis on the entire island. Many residents of Lahaina are still living in tents, camping on Kaanapali Beach, etc. Families have been evicted out of hotel rooms.
I would like to go to Lahaina for the Maui Invitational. Where would you like all of us to stay? At traditional hotels? That's not rhetorical question, I am genuinely asking. I don't want to be a detriment to the people of Lahaina that wen through such a tragedy.

Reaction Score
I live in CA and am thinking about going next year. My wife went to UNC fan so added incentive/excuse. Anyone know if you have to buy a package or can you buy regular tickets at some point? Figure we can do flight and hotel on our own.

Reaction Score
Was in Lahaina over thanksgiving this year. Did not think it was possible for the civic center to host another game. That area is legitimately destroyed.
Good for Maui to see the event back. Fortunately the Civic Center isn't located near downtown Lahaina. The PGA Tournament of Champions was also played at Kapalua. Hope Lahaina can eventually recover, and they do need the tourists back.

Reaction Score
I would like to go to Lahaina for the Maui Invitational. Where would you like all of us to stay? At traditional hotels? That's not rhetorical question, I am genuinely asking. I don't want to be a detriment to the people of Lahaina that wen through such a tragedy.
Yes, stay in the hotels or resorts on the island. There's loads of them and they span price ranges (and accompanying quality.) There's not a hotel on the island that won't be cheaper than a cheap AirBnB. It may not be the best, but neither would that AirBnB.

I was in Lahaina in May, so just before the fires, it's surreal to see that that town is now gone. The arena is, however, on the very outskirts of the town and from what I understand was spared the majority of the damage. I know they were using it as temporary housing, supplies storage, etc. during the initial stages of the recovery.

This tournament is also one of the biggest economic periods of the year for the island, so it's not surprising they're doing all they can to put it back there. It's a tightrope walk of being respectful to the island's recovery but recognizing that the island and its residents very much need the $ generated by this tournament.

Reaction Score
I feel like it's the same group of teams in every tournament!
We're in the same MTE rotation as Michigan State which is why we're always in Maui or the Battle For Atlantis together

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom