UConn WBB Weekly: Will Azzi Fudd be part of the Huskies’ solution at point guard? | The Boneyard

UConn WBB Weekly: Will Azzi Fudd be part of the Huskies’ solution at point guard?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

“[Jamelle Elliott] said that the other day. She was like, ‘You know, with Paige out, did that even cross your mind, that you might have to be a backup point guard?’ And I was like, No, that did not cross my mind but I’m ready for it. I like a good challenge,’” Fudd said with a laugh.

Reaction Score
UConn's best scoring five will have Fudd & Ducharme at the guard positions. But I expect Muhl to come out strong and be too valuable to sit. UConn averages 60-65 fg attempts/game and there aren't enough shots for Muhl to get many. If Fudd and Ducharme each get 12 and Muhl gets 6 half the shots are gone and Edwards, Juhasz, LLS, Griffin, DeBerry, Brady & Patterson have to share the other 30. 30/7=4.4 shots each. (And I wouldn't mind Fudd taking 15-20 good shots)

See, not enough shots. Lots of people want various players to up their offense but unless UConn goes to an up-tempo offense with lots of possessions there aren't enough shots.

UConn will have lots of options on offense and if they look they should find teammates open for good shots all over the court.

Reaction Score
The best lineup at this point is:

Azzi = PG
Lou = shooting guard
Caroline: 3
AE= PF
Dorka= Post

I think the only real possibility of an improvement in this lineup is if Ice or Ayanna work themselves into the lineup somehow. Everyone is important but this is the core. You never know, one or both of them might be a star already.

Reaction Score
Depending on who the opponent is, that is the slowest 5 he could field. While you will see it, you were correct in your improvement thought, Ayanna instead of Dorka and the lineup is lethal.

Reaction Score

Azzi = PG
Lou = shooting guard
AE= PF
Dorka= Post

I think the only real possibility of an improvement in this lineup is if Ice or Ayanna work themselves into the lineup somehow. Everyone is important but this is the core. You never know, one or both of them might be a star already.
If Nika does not start at PG our defense automatically starts the game down 6-0. Nika is the engine and i cannot imagine her not starting in favor of a player who just joined the team and learned our system 2 months ago.

Reaction Score

Azzi = PG
Lou = shooting guard
AE= PF
Dorka= Post

The offensive side of the court isn't the only one you have to compete on. So I think it is safe to say that sitting your best defensive player, who takes seconds off the opponents possessions at the front end each time they bring the ball down the court isn't the best formula for winning games. All Nika needs to do is improve her offense enough to keep her opponent on her rather than allowing them playing off her. She has indicated she is aware of that and has focused on that this off season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I liked this line: With Fudd expected to become one of UConn’s top options on offense, she may end up being a distributor anyways if opposing defenses try to key in on her.

She averaged one assist last year and around 2 for her high-school career. She'll be even more dangerous when she's more comfortable passing within the UConn offense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Azzi = PG
Lou = shooting guard
AE= PF
Dorka= Post

Nope. Muhl is starting if healthy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Nika will start for a couple of reasons. Geno will want Azzi as his shooter and thats her natural position. Azzi can create her own shot and its easier to create your own shot when your not at the point. Lou has no experience playing in big games at UConn. Nika will bring the chemistry that this team needs early on as well as the leadership at the point. Lou is here for one season and Azzi and Caroline for 2-3 seasons. They must get alot of minutes as both are keys to this team.

If Lou is as good as we expect she will be instant offense off the bench followed by Griff if shes healthy enough to get significant minutes. Amari imo must get minutes. At 6'5 there arent many players in WCBB with her talent and height. Amari will be a key to this years team because of her height and even more important next season. If you look at Hoopgurlz rankings there arent alot of 6'5 girls who are really talented coming up in then next 2 years and thats why Geno is looking overseas for bigs that can make an impact.

Reaction Score
Nika will start for a couple of reasons. Geno will want Azzi as his shooter and thats her natural position. Azzi can create her own shot and its easier to create your own shot when your not at the point. Lou has no experience playing in big games at UConn. Nika will bring the chemistry that this team needs early on as well as the leadership at the point. Lou is here for one season and Azzi and Caroline for 2-3 seasons. They must get alot of minutes as both are keys to this team.

If Lou is as good as we expect she will be instant offense off the bench followed by Griff if shes healthy enough to get significant minutes. Amari imo must get minutes. At 6'5 there arent many players in WCBB with her talent and height. Amari will be a key to this years team because of her height and even more important next season. If you look at Hoopgurlz rankings there arent alot of 6'5 girls who are really talented coming up in then next 2 years and thats why Geno is looking overseas for bigs that can make an impact.
Since UConn doesn't run clearouts and isolations for their guards, it's actually the opposite. You have to create your own shot by having the ball in your hands. Not standing in the corner or running off screens for 20 seconds of the shot clock with the extra defender waiting on the other side because they're not covering your point guard. That's how Iowa's top scorer averaged 20 shots a game and why Auriemma put the ball in Bueckers' hands so much. Your best scorer needs to have the ball.

Reaction Score
Since UConn doesn't run clearouts and isolations for their guards, it's actually the opposite. You have to create your own shot by having the ball in your hands. Not standing in the corner or running off screens for 20 seconds of the shot clock with the extra defender waiting on the other side because they're not covering your point guard. That's how Iowa's top scorer averaged 20 shots a game and why Auriemma put the ball in Bueckers' hands so much. Your best scorer needs to have the ball.
I’ve been wondering about this very thing. We don’t run the usual clear outs and isolations that teams like Iowa use. We use a motion offense and we use a lot of screens. In Geno’s “coach’s corner’ videos, he explains that the perimeter passing game and the screens are meant to force opponents who play man-to-man to switch a lot and see if they make a mistake.

If the opposing team doesn’t make a mistake, then someone — last year it was Paige Christyn or Evina — would have to create a shot on their own. We have a few experienced shot creators in Azzi Caroline and Lou. Will they be as proficient at this as last year’s trio? I’d like to say a qualified “yes.”

Azzi seems to me to be as skilled offensively as Paige, perhaps a better perimeter shooter and not quite the off-the-dribble creator Paige is. Many of us have wondered if she will show a similar “take charge” attitude on the court. We’ve already seen that Caroline is ready to do exactly this. Lou has shown these same skills, perimeter shooting and creating of the dribble, but only against mid-major opponents. Against Indiana and Texas, she still scored, but not with quite same facility as in the MAAC.

I think we’ll miss Christyn’s great offensive creativity off the dribble. She was a streaky perimeter shooter. But she really knew how to take the ball to the rim, with an explosive first step and really strong hands and arms. And she could go left or right with equal proficiency. Evina had some of this, too, but not quite as powerfully as Christyn. What she had in abundance was great instincts and court vision. She knew when a defender was off balance, when she could blow past them, or force a defensive foul.

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles also seems to have no problem scoring as a point guard. Rori Harmon. I couldn't agree more with this post. At no point did I say Lou would start by the way ( for everyone reading the original post ). I said the BEST LINEUP had Lou in it. Watch Lou play for a while. If she can play defense at all she will be an asset. She is maybe the most skilled offensive player we have. Not the best shot maybe but the most skilled scorer. And bringing her off the bench may well be the best approach. It's all about the team folks. I'm just hoping Azzi can bring back her pull up game and I think she best does that from the point. Nika is an asset and she will get significant playing time, probably even start a lot. This is not to disparage Nika. I'm just saying our best lineup is per the original post.

JBK

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles also seems to have no problem scoring as a point guard. Rori Harmon. I couldn't agree more with this post. At no point did I say Lou would start by the way ( for everyone reading the original post ). I said the BEST LINEUP had Lou in it. Watch Lou play for a while. If she can play defense at all she will be an asset. She is maybe the most skilled offensive player we have. Not the best shot maybe but the most skilled scorer. And bringing her off the bench may well be the best approach. It's all about the team folks. I'm just hoping Azzi can bring back her pull up game and I think she best does that from the point. Nika is an asset and she will get significant playing time, probably even start a lot. This is not to disparage Nika. I'm just saying our best lineup is per the original post.
We

Reaction Score
UConn's best scoring five will have Fudd & Ducharme at the guard positions. But I expect Muhl to come out strong and be too valuable to sit. UConn averages 60-65 fg attempts/game and there aren't enough shots for Muhl to get many. If Fudd and Ducharme each get 12 and Muhl gets 6 half the shots are gone and Edwards, Juhasz, LLS, Griffin, DeBerry, Brady & Patterson have to share the other 30. 30/7=4.4 shots each. (And I wouldn't mind Fudd taking 15-20 good shots)

See, not enough shots. Lots of people want various players to up their offense but unless UConn goes to an up-tempo offense with lots of possessions there aren't enough shots.

UConn will have lots of options on offense and if they look they should find teammates open for good shots all over the court.
Why do you limit UCONN to 60-65 shots per game this year. I'm sure GENO knows the answer: cut down on turnovers and increase defensive rebounding and you have 75-80 shots per game. Don't look at the negatives, look where you can find positives as I do. UCONN will be fine this year and to repeat myself, we will know the teams direction after the Texas game. GO HUSKIES!!!

JBK

Reaction Score
Great comment.
I even hope to see Aubrey at the point . I believe she played point in high school.
She may bring more athleticism and rebounding that we lacked in big games the last few years.

JBK

Reaction Score

Azzi = PG
Lou = shooting guard
AE= PF
Dorka= Post

I like it. All 5 starters are capable of scoring 12 to 15 a game .

Reaction Score
Why do you limit UCONN to 60-65 shots per game this year. I'm sure GENO knows the answer: cut down on turnovers and increase defensive rebounding and you have 75-80 shots per game. Don't look at the negatives, look where you can find positives as I do. UCONN will be fine this year and to repeat myself, we will know the teams direction after the Texas game. GO HUSKIES!!!

It's not my number. 60-65 has been a consistent number for several years. (I looked it up)

There are a couple of reasons, first, that opponents don't want a running game with UConn and UConn's deliberate style in the halfcourt limits possessions and second that UConn hasn't had a deep roster that allows an uptempo style but tires a short bench. But the 60-65 shot/game applied to the 2016 title team.

UConn has historically taken 30% of fga's from behind the arc. That's 20 three's. If Fudd & Ducharme average 6 and Muhl takes 2. Lets say 4 per game for LLS. That leaves 2 for the rest of the team (on average).

At least early in the season I want to see the front line rebound, defend and score some 2nd chance pts. I'll let their offense emerge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom