UCONN WBB Traditions, Keep one, Ditch one, Bring back one | The Boneyard

UCONN WBB Traditions, Keep one, Ditch one, Bring back one

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN WBB has a lot of traditions. They dive on the floor for lose balls sprint off the court at half time and tattoos have to be covered. If you want to wear a player's # on WoH you have to get her permission. There is the touching thing that they do in a perfect circle at the end of practice, never quite understood that one.
Pick a UCONN WBB tradition that we must keep . Pick a tradition we must ditch. Pick a tradition we should bring back .
Keep: The recruiting tradition where UCONN goes into a recruits home and promises nothing except the opportunity to work hard.

Ditch: The covering of tattoos with athletic tape. Society has changed a lot and as long as the tattoo does not offend anyone most don't need to be covered.

Bring back: The choreographed dance routines for first night.

Reaction Score
Something I've always wanted to see and wonder why it's not already done is our players to be the first one to offer a hand to a downed player. If we're supposed to be what everyone else aspires to be, why not go all out and make being a gracious winner an integral part of the program? Just seems like it would be the UConn way, well, the UConn women's way. Can't imagine most men doing it and all the more reason for the women to be doing it. Lift 'em up, bring 'em along. We talk a lot about the elegant passing game and since grace usually accompanies elegance..

Reaction Score
I thought the Show just for the women was better. When they scrimmage now its mainly the men.
Whole heartedly agree!! Separate but equal again!! I' m for anything the kids have FuN with--and against anything that takes away time from the kids to show their individual and collective stuff.

Reaction Score
Something I've always wanted to see and wonder why it's not already done is our players to be the first one to offer a hand to a downed player. If we're supposed to be what everyone else aspires to be, why not go all out and make being a gracious winner an integral part of the program? Just seems like it would be the UConn way, well, the UConn women's way. Can't imagine most men doing it and all the more reason for the women to be doing it. Lift 'em up, bring 'em along. We talk a lot about the elegant passing game and since grace usually accompanies elegance..

Apparently being decent and offering a helping hand can cause your team problems:
Some coaches won't allow their players to expend the energy to raise someone from the floor
Some think the refs see that as evidence the helping player created --the foul.
If the player is down and it looks serious---that's a matter for the medical personnel--you can create harm.
Personally, I believe to protect yourself---let the other team help their players. Uconn players can act as "Ladies"
before and after the game--those who know them know how gracious they are--everyone else has a different opinion and won't change that opinion when one player is lifted up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UCONN WBB has a lot of traditions. They dive on the floor for lose balls sprint off the court at half time and tattoos have to be covered. If you want to wear a player's # on WoH you have to get her permission. There is the touching thing that they do in a perfect circle at the end of practice, never quite understood that one.
Pick a UCONN WBB tradition that we must keep . Pick a tradition we must ditch. Pick a tradition we should bring back .
Keep: The recruiting tradition where UCONN goes into a recruits home and promises nothing except the opportunity to work hard.

Ditch: The covering of tattoos with athletic tape. Society has changed a lot and as long as the tattoo does not offend anyone most don't need to be covered.

I would also bring back Geno taking off his jacket when he gets going. I also miss him kneeling near the bench. I guess perhaps we all got older.

JordyG

Reaction Score
All tattoos offend me, especially those on women. :(
I don't see them as offensive. I just see them as silly, ridiculous and unnecessary expressions of individuality. As I've said before, we could all walk around in hollowed out beer kegs with taffeta hats and we'd all be instantly recognizable from across a room. If you really want to distinguish yourself cultivate and educate what you do and say. Yet if you can't do silly, ridiculous and unnecessary things when you're young, when can you?

Reaction Score
I don't see them as offensive. I just see them as silly, ridiculous and unnecessary expressions of individuality. As I've said before, we could all walk around in hollowed out beer kegs with taffeta hats and we'd all be instantly recognizable from across a room. If you really want to distinguish yourself cultivate and educate what you do and say. Yet if you can't do silly, ridiculous and unnecessary things when you're young, when can you?

Yes, wearing a silly costume as you suggest probably gains attention. However, the big difference here is that a tattoo is generally permanent, and most people who have them usually regret them at some point in their future for a variety of reasons.

Are you offended by the tattoos or the people who sport them?

Perhaps a bit of both.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Yes, wearing a silly costume as you suggest probably gains attention. However, the big difference here is that a tattoo is generally permanent, and most people who have them usually regret them at some point in their future for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps a bit of both.

I'm always intrigued by this discussion - that something someone does to their body upsets someone else. My fabulous step mom is like that. She doesn't get it - and the "it's permanent" part is her main explanation and (less meaningful these days, with the ability to remove them) and the choice to have a tattoo upset her sensibilities. Her son teases her about it.

Obviously, it varies across cultures (thinking Maori and others who use tattoos for honor, memory, art, protection etc...)

Intrigued by the thought that they might be seen as "silly, ridiculous and unnecessary expressions of individuality." Society has never been kind to individual expression - be it of ideas, costuming or practice. Mostly, I think, because challenging the norm, however subtly, makes people uncomfortable. Which is the point (sometimes). If we're lucky, we take the time to ponder WHY does it make me uncomfortable. "An unexamined life" and all that....

Reaction Score
I vote to change nothing. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Doesn't make for good bulletin board fodder, but...there it is.

I agree, change nothing. Society has changed, but for the worse.
p.s. Tattoo removal has become a big business.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Apparently being decent and offering a helping hand can cause your team problems:
Some coaches won't allow their players to expend the energy to raise someone from the floor
Some think the refs see that as evidence the helping player created --the foul.
If the player is down and it looks serious---that's a matter for the medical personnel--you can create harm.
Personally, I believe to protect yourself---let the other team help their players. Uconn players can act as "Ladies"
before and after the game--those who know them know how gracious they are--everyone else has a different opinion and won't change that opinion when one player is lifted up.

Spot on Broadway. Late in a runaway I can see lifting a hand. A competitive game, you have better uses for that energy.

Reaction Score

I totally disagree with your DITCH! I love the fact that they don't want their kids to be billboards.

Reaction Score
Removal of blue ain't easy.

Way back in history, Bags would know, it was Aristotle, or Plato or one of those who---Lamented: What is happening to Society and our young people--it's so bad. It seems the current generation is always worse than the last--in the eyes of the last generation!! Tattoo's and all and i'm like 3 generations before the last. The more the world changes ---the more it remains the same. Humans have changed little in the past 10,000 years. Evolution??

Reaction Score
I would also bring back Geno taking off his jacket when he gets going. I also miss him kneeling near the bench. I guess perhaps we all got older.

Kneeling--not with this team ---he's an orchestra leader --baton and all--his heart, soul, and being is wrapped up in this team. He's not going to kneel or sit down--maybe against AAC or the Huskers--I so thrilled to see Geno having this much fun with a team---he rants, he raves, and he also gives great and high praises. Half the fun, maybe more than half, for me watching the game is watching Geno.
The last time he had near this kind of fun was when he coached =his comprade' (sp?)-Diana T. Precious and Katie and Gabby and Danger are lifting his heart to new heights..

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kneeling--not with this team ---he's an orchestra leader --baton and all--his heart, soul, and being is wrapped up in this team. He's not going to kneel or sit down--maybe against AAC or the Huskers--I so thrilled to see Geno having this much fun with a team---he rants, he raves, and he also gives great and high praises. Half the fun, maybe more than half, for me watching the game is watching Geno.
The last time he had near this kind of fun was when he coached =his comprade' (sp?)-Diana T. Precious and Katie and Gabby and Danger are lifting his heart to new heights..
Still want to see that coat come off once in a while. Like the good old days. By the way, Geno sits a lot with this team. Sits and shakes his head.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Perhaps a bit of both.
Yeah, I've gone at length into that part too; yes, I've called it self inflicted scarification. I think life has scarred me enough, I don't need to intentionally add more. I've also said so many people have over tattooed themselves that they should just paint themselves blue and have it done. But again, as a youngster I did a lot of things that have left literal and figurative scars so....

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Keep: the relatively new four-by-10 game play format.

Ditch: any fiddling from time to time with the NCAA tournament format. I see you, 2014.

Bring back: Breanna Stewart? Otherwise, Breanna Stewart. Really, she was good for the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bring back Maya Moore and Kaili McLaren to sing the National Anthem. That was a true highlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom