UConn WBB is Set to do Something Amazing This Season! | The Boneyard

UConn WBB is Set to do Something Amazing This Season!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, this thread is not about UConn WBB winning a 12th national championship. Although I absolutely expect the Huskies to be in the hunt this coming season for banner #12. This thread will discuss UConn WBB’s unique status heading into the 2023-24 season, at a time when NCAA sports in general, and WBB in particular, is struggling with the “new normal” created by the onset of immediate eligibility for transfers, 5-year eligibility for any player in college during the 2020-21 season and a growing trend of star players chasing NIL opportunities at another school.

What makes the UConn Huskies unique this coming season? Every single undergraduate player on last year’s roster, along with 4 talented freshmen (1 redshirt), 14 players in all, will be returning to suit up for the Huskies this coming season. What is more remarkable is that all 14 players were recruited out of HS to UConn. Not a transfer in the bunch. In addition, with only one additional scholarship available, UConn has decided against adding a single transfer this coming season.

As an old poker player, one of the most disconcerting things that can happen at the poker table is when the player sitting across from you smiles and says, “I’ll play the hand I was dealt” in a game of 5-card stud. Well, while just about every other team in WBB is scrambling to cover the unexpected loss of key players to the transfer portal or strengthen a roster depleted by graduation, Geno is standing pat.

It's not that UConn is adverse to bringing in a key transfer or two. We have all asked rhetorically this past season, “Where would UConn be without Lou & Dorka?” our two wonderful graduate transfers. I strongly suspect that UConn kicked the tires on a couple of transfers after the season wrapped up. But for whatever reason, UConn brought in “zero” players from the portal.

While bringing in transfers to a program is a conscious decision, the other side of the equation, involving the departure of existing players to the portal, is often beyond a coach’s control. For years, Stanford was the Gold Standard, filling 15 endowed scholarships every year with HS AA’s who seldom if ever considered leaving Palo Alto, due in large measure to the prestige earned not only by playing at a perennial top 10 program, but also the opportunity to walk away with a Stanford sheepskin after 4 years. But this year, even the Cardinal have had to deal with no less than 3 outgoing transfers, including the departure of former #1 Lauren Betts down the road to Pac12 rival UCLA.

In past years players have transferred for more playing time, because of a “bad fit” or simply to be closer to home. But more recently, a new trend has emerged. NIL is pushing top players to consider transferring for the opportunity to earn more $$$. Consider that both Hailey Van Lith and Aneesah Morrow, the face of their respective teams at Louisville and DePaul, have undoubtedly shocked their former HC’s by seeking greener pastures at LSU.

Don’t let anyone kid you. Coaches hate the transfer portal and NIL. It forces them to work through an additional recruiting season, immediately after the end of a grueling basketball season, in an environment where they don’t really have control, something that all coaches work their entire career to acquire. In addition, the constant roster turnover every season challenges a coaching staff to continuously integrate new players with little continuity. If anyone wonders how an Iowa team with one superstar and a bunch of role players made it to the national championship game, all you need to know is that the same starting 5 played together for 3 straight seasons for the Hawkeyes.

As for Geno, he’s probably out on the golf course right now, sharpening up his game. His staff is putting the finishing touches on the summer trip to Europe. The players have all received their summer homework assignments to get stronger, fitter and improve various basketball skills. The only true mystery for UConn WBB will be how last season’s various injured players will perform once they are back on the court and ready to go. If history is any guide, the team that UConn WBB fields this coming November will be incredibly talented, deeper than ever and an absolute nightmare for opposing teams to matchup with….

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well said old Dude. I would be less concerned about the coming season if some of our players had no history of severe injuries. Wishing UCONN a terrific 2023-24 season and hoping to see the Championship net being cut down by the Huskies.

Reaction Score
No, this thread is not about UConn WBB winning a 12th national championship. Although I absolutely expect the Huskies to be in the hunt this coming season for banner #12. This thread will discuss UConn WBB’s unique status heading into the 2023-24 season, at a time when NCAA sports in general, and WBB in particular, is struggling with the “new normal” created by the onset of immediate eligibility for transfers, 5-year eligibility for any player in college during the 2020-21 season and a growing trend of star players chasing NIL opportunities at another school.

What makes the UConn Huskies unique this coming season? Every single undergraduate player on last year’s roster, along with 4 talented freshmen (1 redshirt), 14 players in all, will be returning to suit up for the Huskies this coming season. What is more remarkable is that all 14 players were recruited out of HS to UConn. Not a transfer in the bunch. In addition, with only one additional scholarship available, UConn has decided against adding a single transfer this coming season.

As an old poker player, one of the most disconcerting things that can happen at the poker table is when the player sitting across from you smiles and says, “I’ll play the hand I was dealt” in a game of 5-card stud. Well, while just about every other team in WBB is scrambling to cover the unexpected loss of key players to the transfer portal or strengthen a roster depleted by graduation, Geno is standing pat.

It's not that UConn is adverse to bringing in a key transfer or two. We have all asked rhetorically this past season, “Where would UConn be without Lou & Dorka?” our two wonderful graduate transfers. I strongly suspect that UConn kicked the tires on a couple of transfers after the season wrapped up. But for whatever reason, UConn brought in “zero” players from the portal.

While bringing in transfers to a program is a conscious decision, the other side of the equation, involving the departure of existing players to the portal, is often beyond a coach’s control. For years, Stanford was the Gold Standard, filling 15 endowed scholarships every year with HS AA’s who seldom if ever considered leaving Palo Alto, due in large measure to the prestige earned not only by playing at a perennial top 10 program, but also the opportunity to walk away with a Stanford sheepskin after 4 years. But this year, even the Cardinal have had to deal with no less than 3 outgoing transfers, including the departure of former #1 Lauren Betts down the road to Pac12 rival UCLA.

In past years players have transferred for more playing time, because of a “bad fit” or simply to be closer to home. But more recently, a new trend has emerged. NIL is pushing top players to consider transferring for the opportunity to earn more $$$. Consider that both Hailey Van Lith and Aneesah Morrow, the face of their respective teams at Louisville and DePaul, have undoubtedly shocked their former HC’s by seeking greener pastures at LSU.

Don’t let anyone kid you. Coaches hate the transfer portal and NIL. It forces them to work through an additional recruiting season, immediately after the end of a grueling basketball season, in an environment where they don’t really have control, something that all coaches work their entire career to acquire. In addition, the constant roster turnover every season challenges a coaching staff to continuously integrate new players with little continuity. If anyone wonders how an Iowa team with one superstar and a bunch of role players made it to the national championship game, all you need to know is that the same starting 5 played together for 3 straight seasons for the Hawkeyes.

As for Geno, he’s probably out on the golf course right now, sharpening up his game. His staff is putting the finishing touches on the summer trip to Europe. The players have all received their summer homework assignments to get stronger, fitter and improve various basketball skills. The only true mystery for UConn WBB will be how last season’s various injured players will perform once they are back on the court and ready to go. If history is any guide, the team that UConn WBB fields this coming November will be incredibly talented, deeper than ever and an absolute nightmare for opposing teams to matchup with….
Good read!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Transfers can happen until July 1st. This post may be premature.
Yes, that’s certainly a possibility. But given the fact that school is out, and there have been no announcements relative to inbound or outbound transfers at UConn, I think it’s fair to assume the train has left the station. However, with one scholarship still available, I certainly wouldn’t mind a late signing of an international player, perhaps a certain Lithuanian with US citizenship…:cool:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, that’s certainly a possibility. But given the fact that school is out, and there have been no announcements relative to inbound or outbound transfers at UConn, I think it’s fair to assume the train has left the station. However, with one scholarship still available, I certainly wouldn’t mind a late signing of an international player, perhaps a certain Lithuanian with US citizenship…:cool:
What is a possibility? You started this post off as if you were answering a question.

Reaction Score
Well said old Dude. I would be less concerned about the coming season if some of our players had no history of severe injuries. Wishing UCONN a terrific 2023-24 season and hoping to see the Championship net being cut down by the Huskies.
Chemistry? We've got oodles of chemistry. Chemistry oozing out of every pore. Chemistry outweighs the injury risk.

I said in another thread that Kim and Dawn will solve their chemistry puzzles because they're pros. But Geno doesn't have any puzzles to solve with this team. They all came here knowing what they were getting into. Kids who choose UConn know the deal -- earn minutes in practice. Even if Nika doesn't start, she'll still fight like heck in every practice because she wants a ring. So do they all. But even more than that, they want to win with their friends, a friendship earned through competition -- with each other and against the rest of D1.

Reaction Score
Transfers can happen until July 1st. This post may be premature.
I still have Lauren Gustin on my mind, thinking she would make a significant contribution in her one remaining year playing for the Huskies. Gustin was the leading rebounder in the nation last year at BYC, and we could certainly use the young lady (though only 6'1) in that capacity. Go on, Geno, make my day.

Reaction Score
I still have Lauren Gustin on my mind, thinking she would make a significant contribution in her one remaining year playing for the Huskies. Gustin was the leading rebounder in the nation last year at BYC, and we could certainly use the young lady (though only 6'1) in that capacity. Go on, Geno, make my day.

Too bad she withdrew from the portal and is staying at BYU

Reaction Score
Great post, Old Dude! I posted something similar on the Bench, which I believe a person with your handle now also posts. The transfer portal has been for the most part for players wanting additional playing time, damaged team issues, egos etc., it has rarely been the realm of established stars and team centerpieces. Something different is happening, and it's happening with scale.

I sympathize with the needs of players who think they may have made a mistake, want to place themselves in a better place for championship and financial considerations etc. I also sympathize with the investment schools have made in recruiting, educating, and coaching them.

Waiting for Congress, the NCAA, or each conference/state to come up with a solution is a likely waiting for Godot. Here's a proposal: 1 transfer within the first two injury-free years. Thereafter no transfers or transfers to a lower Division school. Thoughts?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well hells bells, @oldude. I have a draft of a thread in my notes that i've been mulling over for a while. You've covered some of the items in my brain. I may just revise it and post separately in a few weeks, when we get bored with the current topics at hand. LOL.

Reaction Score

While Iowa had CC and other 3rd, 4th or 5th year players, it was the NIL/Portal team that won the NC. I am afraid that that's what coaches, boosters and others are going to use as a model, not the Iowa team. Pay the money, get the players, have an easy OOC schedule to let them jell and then make your run.

Miami in the Elite 8 with two very high NIL recipients? Coincidental generally to the timing of a large booster donation and a meeting that resulted in an investigation? We will never know the transfer amounts of anyone and that is the problem. Who knows how much was spent on LSU to win a NC last year and what was spent this Spring to get Hailey Van Lith and Morrow?

Anyone who thinks this is simply the result of wanting to play on a great team is delusional and doesn't appreciate the impact of big money on the one hand and freedom of movement on the other as a two headed monster changing the entire landscape of women's college basketball. We are now paying college players to both come to a school and play there. Let's make the transfer money public just like in professional sports. Let's monitor that part of the equation.

A team of seniors playing together for 4 years will be a rarity in the coming years except for our beloved Huskies and perhaps a few others at the top level. It's why we are such die hard fans and always will be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just to emphasize how unique UConn’s situation is. I did a quick review of every P5 WBB program in the country. As far as next season is concerned, every single P5 program in the country has either been the victim of outgoing transfers, the beneficiary of incoming transfers, either next season or already on the roster, or both. As for non P5 programs, I didn’t do a deep dive, but it is undoubtedly the case that most of the 200+ non-P5 are under much greater transfer portal pressure than P5 schools.

Should UConn and LSU meet for the national championship it will be a momentous battle between a school that has thrived as a result of the transfer portal and one that is uniquely tied to the traditional process of bringing in HS recruits and developing their talent.

It would be an epic battle of the ages. My money would be on the little Italian guy. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

OD, you missed your calling. This is an excellent and superbly written narrative that rivals many of the best pieces I've read from professional newspaper columnists/sports writers. I enjoy it. Thanks. :) It's posts like this that keep me coming back to the yard every day. You can't get the type of posts and comments we get here anywhere else.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A UConn fan and friend of mind relayed to me in a text yesterday that he believed the Mojo that UConn enjoyed in years past would return this year. The injury bug that harassed us for the past two years is gone. I agree. My response to him was.............."it's time." You'll see this in some of my comments throughout the summer. It's time!! :)

Reaction Score
W
Just to emphasize how unique UConn’s situation is. I did a quick review of every P5 WBB program in the country. As far as next season is concerned, every single P5 program in the country has either been the victim of outgoing transfers, the beneficiary of incoming transfers, either next season or already on the roster, or both. As for non P5 programs, I didn’t do a deep dive, but it is undoubtedly the case that most of the 200+ non-P5 are under much greater transfer portal pressure than P5 schools.

Should UConn and LSU meet for the national championship it will be a momentous battle between a school that has thrived as a result of the transfer portal and one that is uniquely tied to the traditional process of bringing in HS recruits and developing their talent.

It would be an epic battle of the ages. My money would be on the little Italian guy. ;)
While what you say about this year is true, let’s not forget that the Huskies relied on two transfers for their success last season. As such, I am not sure that overall UConn is uniquely tied to HS talent only. Will be interesting to see if the Huskies dip their toes in that transfer water again going forward. Regardless, I would also like to see a UConn vs LSU national championship game next spring.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
W

While what you say about this year is true, let’s not forget that the Huskies relied on two transfers for their success last season. As such, I am not sure that overall UConn is uniquely tied to HS talent only. Will be interesting to see if the Huskies dip their toes in that transfer water again going forward. Regardless, I would also like to see a UConn vs LSU national championship game next spring.
I mentioned Lou & Dorka in my OP, and I am sure that UConn has a coach assigned to monitor the transfer portal. But as far as this coming season is concerned, I am not aware of another D1 program that, like UConn, will have every eligible undergraduate returning and will have its complete 14 player roster made up entirely of players recruited to UConn from HS.

Reaction Score
I mentioned Lou & Dorka in my OP, and I am sure that UConn has a coach assigned to monitor the transfer portal. But as far as this coming season is concerned, I am not aware of another D1 program that, like UConn, will have every eligible undergraduate returning and will have its complete 14 player roster made up entirely of players recruited to UConn from HS.
Ines wasn't recruited from high school.

Reaction Score
Let's hope enjoying an entire season without a serious injury is the second unusual occurrence........I understand that Paige and Azzi have been fitted with lightweight protective leg armor while Caroline has been given a NASA approved asteroid proof space helmet in order to pull that off.......:oops::eek:;)

Reaction Score

@oldude, that is some mighty fine writing there, my friend. I am looking forward another great UConn WBB season. Wishing our beloved UConn players a healthy offseason.

Reaction Score
Ines was on her way to a jr college in FL from her HS in Portugal, Clube Uniao Sportiva, when UConn intercepted her and brought her to Storrs. So imo she was recruited out of HS.
And therefore she is owed coaching as much as possible! This will be for another thread, but I don't think coaching has to be earned in the same way as playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom