UConn WBB: Ayanna Patterson | The Boneyard

UConn WBB: Ayanna Patterson

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Andre Patterson noticed something different about his daughter Ayanna when she came home to Indiana from her first session at UConn earlier this summer. She was mature, more confident. On the basketball court, she explained what parts of her game she needed to improve upon, and what exercises and drills she needed to better herself. She attacked drills instead of just going through the motions. If she missed a shot, she got upset instead of brushing it off and moving on like she had in the past. She was more focused than Andre had ever seen."

After reading this article, it looks like Ayanna is ready to begin her college career. All of the drills, practices and work in the weight room has been for the journey she is about to under take. After reading Conncan's post this morning about the Fordham/Kutztown game, we really can't get too excited about the inevitable results to come from this mismatch. I commented that after reading the article and looking at the box score, under sized and heavily out matched Kutztown vs UConn is like a tugboat going up against a battleship. :confused:

It will be nice to see our team on the court in live action going through their paces, but the outcome is inevitable. This is an exhibition against a Division 2 program that finished 26-7 last year. The real test for UConn will come in 10 days when Vic Schaefer brings his #3 ranked Texas Longhorns to Gampel Arena November 14.

That is a game we can critique our players collectively and individually. Texas is expected to make the great 8 in the NCAAT this season. They have the size, speed and athleticism to compete with UConn. The season opener against Northeastern on Thursday Nov 10 that finished 14-18/8-10 in the Colonial Athletic Association last year is better test for UConn as it is against a Division 1 program, but here again, the outcome is inevitable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very well written article with a fantastic Photo display. The first photo of her looks like she is ready to dominate the opposition. From her look and the information in the article, she looks like the incarnation of Morgan Tuck. Same height and build, tho Morgan was more defined,but similar in many respects. In a earlier post, she said she is ready to rock n' roll, my analysis. I predict she will be a factor in a short while and will be GENO's choice when muscle is needed. I pray the injury bug does not show it's ugly head again. We have the nucleus of a great team that will go far. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Next 12, agree and disagree. She is not comparative to Tuck. Ayanna is faster, quicker, more athletic and stronger. The more accurate comparison would be Tuck and Ice. Agree she will see a lot of court time and not only for muscle.

Reaction Score
A very good article and a forerunner of the coming storm.....we ( at Uconn wbb ) are in for a treat.... New day coming!

Reaction Score
Next 12, agree and disagree. She is not comparative to Tuck. Ayanna is faster, quicker, more athletic and stronger. The more accurate comparison would be Tuck and Ice. Agree she will see a lot of court time and not only for muscle.
I didn't express myself about Morgan Tuck fully. My reference about her was in her senior year, once she took her brace off, she became a power in rebounding and scoring in the paint, helping them to win their fourth NC in a row. I couldn't compare her to Ice, because I've never seen Ice play.GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Ayanna looks to me like she could be what Victoria Saxton is for SC great rebounder, good defender good energy player. We need those type of players to augment our scorers. I am very exicted to see her play and to see if she help us win that elusive banner for the wall. Will she evolve like Gabby from a great athlete to a great BB player. I think she will with the her work efforts for improvement she seems to have. Go Ayanna Go Huskies!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I agree. Tuck was a very crafty polished interior scorer who was also good enough to occasionally knock down a three. She was not an outstanding athlete, rebounder, or shot blocker. Those are all things Ayanna can bring to the table, but while there is no comparison between the two athletically, by comparison Ayanna's offensive game is not nearly as versatile or polished as Tuck's.

Ayanna scores mostly inside just by outjumping and overpowering smaller or less athletic players. Against major college competition she will need to expand her game. Ice by comparison is closer to Tuck,, and has a refined inside game with a number of moves, counters and a perimeter jump shot.

The good news for Ayanna is she has significant upside, can be a good contributor from the get go, because of her extreme athletic gifts, with the hope that she can show substantial development on her moves and decision making inside against the bigger and more talented players she will now face.

Reaction Score
"Andre Patterson noticed something different about his daughter Ayanna when she came home to Indiana from her first session at UConn earlier this summer. She was mature, more confident. On the basketball court, she explained what parts of her game she needed to improve upon, and what exercises and drills she needed to better herself. She attacked drills instead of just going through the motions. If she missed a shot, she got upset instead of brushing it off and moving on like she had in the past. She was more focused than Andre had ever seen."

After reading this article, it looks like Ayanna is ready to begin her college career. All of the drills, practices and work in the weight room has been for the journey she is about to under take. After reading Conncan's post this morning about the Fordham/Kutztown game, we really can't get too excited about the inevitable results to come from this mismatch. I commented that after reading the article and looking at the box score, under sized and heavily out matched Kutztown vs UConn is like a tugboat going up against a battleship. :confused:

It will be nice to see our team on the court in live action going through their paces, but the outcome is inevitable. This is an exhibition against a Division 2 program that finished 26-7 last year. The real test for UConn will come in 10 days when Vic Schaefer brings his #3 ranked Texas Longhorns to Gampel Arena November 14.

That is a game we can critique our players collectively and individually. Texas is expected to make the great 8 in the NCAAT this season. They have the size, speed and athleticism to compete with UConn. The season opener against Northeastern on Thursday Nov 10 that finished 14-18/8-10 in the Colonial Athletic Association last year is better test for UConn as it is against a Division 1 program, but here again, the outcome is inevitable.
The CAA has some fine teams, not Uconn, but good and many are well coached. I went to the Kutztown team site and was disappointed in the size of their 2 (maybe 3) big's. 6 ft 2in

Reaction Score
I've thought about the Victoria Saxton comp and I think Ayanna is much quicker with a better handle. Think of her as a much bigger CW with not nearly as good a handle. Other teams are going to give her the jump shot rather than let her dribble around them. As they said in high school: "If she gets to the hoop it's over". That is so true. You could make a case that she should go into Caroline mode and post up down low over and over. She could defend the 3 and devastate down low offensively. It's a shame Ice is injured because it really precludes seeing her as a 3 much at all. She's going to be needed as a 4.

Reaction Score
I've thought about the Victoria Saxton comp and I think Ayanna is much quicker with a better handle. Think of her as a much bigger CW with not nearly as good a handle. Other teams are going to give her the jump shot rather than let her dribble around them. As they said in high school: "If she gets to the hoop it's over". That is so true. You could make a case that she should go into Caroline mode and post up down low over and over. She could defend the 3 and devastate down low offensively. It's a shame Ice is injured because it really precludes seeing her as a 3 much at all. She's going to be needed as a 4.
I think you’re right. Saxton is great paint player, but ball handling is not her strength. Ayanna looks to be a bit larger and stronger. But she may not be as quick as Saxton. If she has good handles, then she’ll pose problems for every team that has to face her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom