UConn WBB 2017-18: an embarrassment of riches? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn WBB 2017-18: an embarrassment of riches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Think about this. Next year Geno can use DePaul method, play 5 sub 5. Everybody is getting playing time, so you shouldn't have a problem.

I like this idea a lot. however, I'm skeptical that Geno would employ such a strategy as he always seems to like to leave at least one starter on the floor at all times. he's more likely to do a 4 man change up and leave an experienced player on the floor to help with offensive flow. usually the guard. IMO should he decide to do large substitutions and leave a starter on the floor my bet is that starter is Kia Nurse. I think he trusts her most on this current team, and next years and can't afford to keep 5 inexperienced players on the floor without her.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I like this idea a lot. however, I'm skeptical that Geno would employ such a strategy as he always seems to like to leave at least one starter on the floor at all times. he's more likely to do a 4 man change up and leave an experienced player on the floor to help with offensive flow. usually the guard. IMO should he decide to do large substitutions and leave a starter on the floor my bet is that starter is Kia Nurse. I think he trusts her most on this current team, and next years and can't afford to keep 5 inexperienced players on the floor without her.
I thought about that too, but I didn't post it after I thought about it. I don't think there would be a problem with Kia playing the whole game, because for the most part she has been doing it since day one. Great minds think alike :).

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Think about this. Next year Geno can use DePaul method, play 5 sub 5. Everybody is getting playing time, so you shouldn't have a problem.

I don't think Geno has ever done this before but he might next year.

Actually Geno did employ that 5 for 5 sub process for a bit anyway back in 95-96 I believe. I seem to remember him using it in what ended up being a relatively bad loss to Syracuse that year and the practice was not employed thereafter. But, I'll add the caveat that my memory isn't what it used to be ....I think.

Reaction Score
I talked about Molly in another thread. Molly's time next year in my opinion is based on whether Geno goes against normal and redshirts some incoming freshmen. I think Molly can play like everyone else.

I do too. But as charlie said- I believe he is right. Molly wouldn't necessarily run away from UCONN if she wasn't getting decent minutes. She might. But there is a chance she won't.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno has ever done this before but he might next year.

We know there will be plenty of minutes for everyone during the regular AAC schedule. But OOC schedule could be a time to try the "line shift." Up tempo versus the inside power game. Can you imagine a coach trying to prepare their team for 2 seperate types of offense!

Geno will adapt the offense to the talent availabe. But one thing is constant - hard nose, in you face defense. That will never change.

I think that has zero chance of happening other than a fluke game such as is he is upset or unbelievably pleased but not as any coaching method. Geno's offenses are based on fluidity. Throwing 5 in and 5 out has no fluidity over the course of a game. You want to see how each player "fits" with others. While defense is very important, fluidity and learning how to play with another both on offense and defense is more important. In the big games, vs big teams or just vs the very best teams, you want your stars getting the most minutes. The 2nd team could get rocked and then you lost a game because you gave too many minutes to a 2nd teir team in which UCONN didn't have it's all-american stars in the game.

****As Chris Daily once said. to paraphrase "We want teams to react to us, not us to them." LOL for other teams having to defend what UCONN will bring next year. And the reason why Geno gets the number 1 recruits is that he uses his stars to win games. Next year they will be an unreal beast. No sense toying with that with 5 in and 5 out giving the other team a chance to make runs while our super players are on the bench. Stars win. Not gimmicks. Let them figure out ways to stop our stars. Geno won't make it easy on them with 5 in and 5 out. That won't happen,.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
But often a press is not so much about turnovers as it is about changing the tempo of the opponent - it doesn't matter if they 'break the press' as much as that it has gotten them outside the usual offensive rhythm that they want to perform at. Pressure can either the transition into the offensive zone, and/or speed up the decision process in the offensive set.

That is true, but a really good team should be able to be successful regardless of tempo.

Reaction Score
For those wondering why Geno recruited Kyla and Molly, I think he knew that they would be helpful bench players willing to give up minutes to the more talented freshman coming a year behind them..it's very possible that they will see more minutes this season then in the next 3 seasons combined
I doubt that they will be "willing" to give up anything to anyone. Those two kids are tough and have intangibles that Auriemma loves and looks under every rock to find. There are a lot of kids who come to college thinking that their talent will carry them and when it doesn't they become one of the many transfers around WCBB. I have every reason to believe that the four 2017s have good attitudes to go with their excellent talent and will work hard. But IMO it remains to be seen if they have the right intangibles to separate them because they will have a battle on their hands and you know that Auriemma doesn't care who emerges from that competition as long as enough do. Auriemma doesn't pre judge PT.

Reaction Score
But often a press is not so much about turnovers as it is about changing the tempo of the opponent - it doesn't matter if they 'break the press' as much as that it has gotten them outside the usual offensive rhythm that they want to perform at. Pressure can either the transition into the offensive zone, and/or speed up the decision process in the offensive set.
Exactly, and it's also a good way to up that tempo and force the bigs to run the floor and be out of their element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom