UConn was not alone on the upset train last night. Carnage in WCBB | The Boneyard

UConn was not alone on the upset train last night. Carnage in WCBB

Reaction Score
In addition to our Huskies very sad and frustrating loss to Baylor, #9 NC State lost to UNC, #10 TXAM lost to LSU, #11 FL State lost to GA Tech, #17 MD lost to Iowa, and #24 Mich lost to Ohio St. All the victors in these games were unranked. Small solace, but at least we lost to a very good, highly ranked team.
Geno and the staff (and the team) definitely have their work cut out for them to get to where they (and we) all want to be... the FF.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech is having a really nice year considering the circumstances.
I agree. Nell Fortner is doing a so far good job especially after what happened after the end of last season with Joseph being let go and the Elizabeths jolting to LV

Reaction Score
In addition to our Huskies very sad and frustrating loss to Baylor, #9 NC State lost to UNC, #10 TXAM lost to LSU, #11 FL State lost to GA Tech, #17 MD lost to Iowa, and #24 Mich lost to Ohio St. All the victors in these games were unranked. Small solace, but at least we lost to a very good, highly ranked team.
Geno and the staff (and the team) definitely have their work cut out for them to get to where they (and we) all want to be... the FF.

the loss to Baylor was not really an upset.............UConn's number one ranking shouldn't be part of that consideration.................I think UConn was favored by 2-3 points going against the defending national championship team................now losing to Houston............that would be an upset

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The carnage was awesome. Generally I like seeing ranked teams go down (UCONN excepted of course). Just shows how much parity there is. especially outside the top 5-6 teams. I really don't see UCONN, Baylor, SC, Oregon or OSU losing to any unranked team. Obviously #9 NC State and #11 FSU did though.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
the loss to Baylor was not really an upset.............UConn's number one ranking shouldn't be part of that consideration.................I think UConn was favored by 2-3 points going against the defending national championship team................now losing to Houston............that would be an upset
As I posted in another Debbie Downer thread, based on the Preseason Polls, #2 Baylor beat the #5 Good Guys.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Carnage, bodies everywhere, anarchy running amok! Welcome to parity!

That said, let’s not get too depressed, the Baylor -UConn tussle was one of a couple of bullies leaving their respective neighborhoods and challenging each other before going back to their street and taking the locals lunch money. The ACC, Big10 and SEC brawls have opened the doors for Louisville, Indiana and SC to separate themselves from the rest. As far as the PAC12 goes, tonight has potential wow, or status quo depending what the Arizona schools do and if the Bay Area rivalry appears. One certainty is UCLA should stay unbeaten.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UICONN was upset?!

Reaction Score
To all the posters saying UConn/Baylor was not an upset: UConn was ranked 1 and Baylor 6. So that makes it an upset. Massey had UConn favored by 4, so that makes it an upset. Was it a big upset? No. Was it an unexpected upset? Not really. I posted the other day after watching Baylor on TV that UConn was in for a "tussle" based on Baylor's length, athleticism and experience. But "upset" is still the correct word. Just sayin' :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
To all the posters saying UConn/Baylor was not an upset: UConn was ranked 1 and Baylor 6. So that makes it an upset. Massey had UConn favored by 4, so that makes it an upset. Was it a big upset? No. Was it an unexpected upset? Not really. I posted the other day after watching Baylor on TV that UConn was in for a "tussle" based on Baylor's length, athleticism and experience. But "upset" is still the correct word. Just sayin' :)
Why do you believe the opinions of people who probably have seen UCONN play only a few times or not at all versus the opinion of the persons who see and coach them every day?
Play this video starting a 2:10 until 3:45.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One factor worth noting is that in addition to Ohio State's victory over Michigan, former UConn opponent Vanderbilt got a win over Georgia. The more wins that former UConn opponents get, the better UConn's RPI and similar ratings will look. And I think that teams like Ohio State, Cal, Vanderbilt, DePaul, and Seton Hall (maybe even Oklahoma) are capable of getting a few more upset victories over the course of the year.

Reaction Score
Why do you believe the opinions of people who probably have seen UCONN play only a few times or not at all versus the opinion of the persons who sees and coach them every day?
Play this video starting a 2:10 until 3:45.

Why do they have construction going on for every press conference?

Reaction Score
Going by their Number 1 (undeserved) it WAS an up set! Geno and CD and Me said they didn't EARN the 2 ranking. Even intelligent posters shouted that down. There is NO SHAME is being beaten by a (that night) better team. The question, and it really matters naught, what will the Rank of Uconn on Monday???
Most posters that know the game of BB know that Uconn had a short bench. Why? Because for 2 or 3 years Geno could not recruit many truly effective bigger post players. Olivia needs help. Where will it come from. If Geno has his way it will come from the opposing teams. Some how, some way he shall negate the post players of the opponents. Uconn needs to make layup on the surface that should be easily fixed. Uconn has to score from every position. That too can be and should be fixed. Geno recruits (usually) good or top talent. Erwin, Griffin, Ania, Olivia MUST and I believe will all score in every game from now on to the FF. Yes, I believe they shall be in the FF and this team is capable of making the FF. CW is on the rise, Danger needs rest with the AAC she'll get and Molly will get a lot of PT--maybe that will create yet another scorer (MOllly)

Reaction Score
Geno and CD saw Olivia having trouble against Aggressive teams. When teams negate Olivia that takes away scoring and rebounding. That make the jobs of the other 3 (core) more demanding and difficult.
Point of that absurd wording is: The loss was predictable based on the previous 3 or 6 games. Seaton Hall isn't Baylor or Oregon yet look how well they played Uconn.

Reaction Score
Ah, the pure enjoyment of second guessing. Might as well have mine. I love the energy Kyla brings and her dedication to the team for the past three years and the games this year. Having said that I wish Geno would have played Griffin for those minutes to give her the experience. I think her athleticism will eventually overtake her lack of experience and it could possible have happened sooner.

Reaction Score
Geno and CD saw Olivia having trouble against Aggressive teams. When teams negate Olivia that takes away scoring and rebounding. That make the jobs of the other 3 (core) more demanding and difficult.
Point of that absurd wording is: The loss was predictable based on the previous 3 or 6 games. Seaton Hall isn't Baylor or Oregon yet look how well they played Uconn.

I suspect the games against Oregon and South Carolina won't be any easier and in fact may be even uglier.......................the good new is UConn probably won't play anybody nearly as good until they get into at least the third round of the big tournament and at that point they'll know exactly what they need to do to compete and possibly win.........

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nor tonight. Oregon lost to unranked Arizona State.

Reaction Score
The carnage was awesome. Generally I like seeing ranked teams go down (UCONN excepted of course). Just shows how much parity there is. especially outside the top 5-6 teams. I really don't see UCONN, Baylor, SC, Oregon or OSU losing to any unranked team. Obviously #9 NC State and #11 FSU did though.

You mean like Oregon losing tonight to unranked ASU? Your statement did not even hold true for 12 hours.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is wbb is improving across the board. We might never see one school dominate over decades again. Frankly, Alabama’s dominance (usually) in football, as well as Ohio State, Clemson, etc, makes the college game of less interest.

Reaction Score
Arizona St has always been a hard out at home. They also finally got a key player in the line that had not played till this last game. When you play a lot of really tough teams, you will run into more games that give you less wiggle room to survive a bad game. The Arizona schools back to back have always been a tough out. Enough factors came together to create an upset. I think that many people thought that one of the Oregon schools would come out of the Arizona trip with a loss.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not sure why people are getting upset over the term, upset. UCONN was favored coming into this and the higher ranked team. Last year's loss to Baylor was an upset too at the time even though Baylor went on to win the title 3 months later.

Reaction Score
I see Oregon lost to Arizona State is a big big big upset.
In Baylor game, UConn basically has only 3 players scored, Megan, CD and CW (Anna has only 3 pts). This is not normal for a good team only has 3 players can score. Baylor is a good team but UConn plays very poorly to lose the game.

Reaction Score
And if you check the stats, Cooper, Cox, Smith did most of the scoring for Baylor. Their bench had 7 I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom