UConn vs. UCF, 1/27 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. UCF, 1/27

Reaction Score
Hey Boneyarders:

Anyone going to the XL Center to see the game? I’m hauling my middle-aged...self all the way from NYC. Should be a good game. UCF is lurking just outside the top 25 and are looking for a statement win. Can’t wait!

Reaction Score
Hey Boneyarders:

Anyone going to the XL Center to see the game? I’m hauling my middle-aged...self all the way from NYC. Should be a good game. UCF is lurking just outside the top 25 and are looking for a statement win. Can’t wait!
Well, would much prefer for UCF to NOT get their signature win this weekend. :rolleyes::);)

Reaction Score
I think this will game will be a huge struggle if we continue our outside shooting slump. It’ll be a very grind it out game. It could look like a UCONN/Rutgers game from the late 90’s, early 2000’s.

Reaction Score
is it UCF or UFC? They are a scrappy possibly dirty team that will do everything they can to slow down and disrupt the UConn offense...............the ideal game to snap out of the shooting funk that UConn has been in for weeks.............I'm as concerned about injuries as much or more as I am about the win against these nasties.............

Reaction Score
I think this will game will be a huge struggle if we continue our outside shooting slump. It’ll be a very grind it out game. It could look like a UCONN/Rutgers game from the late 90’s, early 2000’s.
One way out of the shooting slump would be to set solid picks and for the shooters to use them, not just run around them. In a pick based offense, you run right to the setter, then cut around them. For some reason, UConn usually lets the defender get between the two offensive players, negating the value. Nothing discourages a physical team more than hitting two or three solid picks, often not knowing where the hit will come from.

Reaction Score
One way out of the shooting slump would be to set solid picks and for the shooters to use them, not just run around them. In a pick based offense, you run right to the setter, then cut around them. For some reason, UConn usually lets the defender get between the two offensive players, negating the value. Nothing discourages a physical team more than hitting two or three solid picks, often not knowing where the hit will come from.

if UConn scores early and often against UCF game over................

Reaction Score
is it UCF or UFC? They are a scrappy possibly dirty team that will do everything they can to slow down and disrupt the UConn offense.....the ideal game to snap out of the shooting funk that UConn has been in for weeks...I'm as concerned about injuries as much or more as I am about the win against these nasties...
It is Central Florida Uni. I doubt that it is fair to describe them as " dirty." Rough and tough, for sure. When the talent is thinner, the scrappiness and feistiness tend to play a larger role. But I don't think they play dirty in the context of trying to hurt someone. I hope not, in any case. But UCONN has to compete in every environment. They will not back down.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Against UCF, it’s important that UConn makes their foul shots, because the Huskies will get a bunch of them against a UCF team that doesn’t give up easy layups.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UCF struggled against SMU at home.
Really an enigma to me. They have a top-40 resume (#33 in Massey) and very nearly took down Syracuse, but they've struggled mightily against some weak teams. They needed last-second heroics to beat Cincinnati; both USF and SMU played them very close until 4Q; and they needed overtime to beat East Carolina.

Reaction Score
IMO Geno is trying to do what many of us want and that is pick up the tempo of these games.
I will be watching to see if he can force the tempo with the press, pressure defensively in general, and thus get more open floor opportunities.
Also I’m intrigued by the progress of CD. Open floor, she’s impeccable and she’s starting to penetrate defenses more in the half court too.
And, of course, CW.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really an enigma to me. They have a top-40 resume (#33 in Massey) and very nearly took down Syracuse, but they've struggled mightily against some weak teams. They needed last-second heroics to beat Cincinnati; both USF and SMU played them very close until 4Q; and they needed overtime to beat East Carolina.
Someone compared UCF to the old Rutgers teams. That’s an apt comparison. They grind out both ugly wins and ugly losses, seldom by more than a handful of points. Hopefully, UConn can establish some separation from them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is Central Florida Uni. I doubt that it is fair to describe them as " dirty." Rough and tough, for sure. When the talent is thinner, the scrappiness and feistiness tend to play a larger role. But I don't think they play dirty in the context of trying to hurt someone. I hope not, in any case. But UCONN has to compete in every environment. They will not back down.

I can't attest to their play this season but I remember a whole bunch of chippy plays from them in the past few years...............elbows, trips never mind the normal tough guy stuff..............believe me I hope they have changed their ways.................

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking of the Rutgers games too. Maya was mugged in her 2nd game against RU.

Reaction Score
I expect UConn to throw full court pressure throughout the game to force turnovers and speed up the game. No signature win for UCF today.

Reaction Score
I expect UConn to throw full court pressure throughout the game to force turnovers and speed up the game. No signature win for UCF today.
This is an interesting perspective. Maybe we have reached a point where we have to fight for some of the wins in our conference. Watching Geno and the team implement certain, clear tactics makes it more appealing.

Reaction Score

that was not the same UCF team I saw last year...............I saw very few if anything nasty and thank God for that....................I stand corrected...................

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You're the man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom