UCONN vs Texas - A question of size | The Boneyard

UCONN vs Texas - A question of size

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Everyone conceding that UCONN was undersized....even Geno said it was so.

Really?

How about this
Stevens
6' 6" (vs) Goudreau 6' 4" and Holmes 6' 4"
Samuelson 6' 3" (vs) White and Hosey 6' 3"
Collier 6' 1" (vs) Higgs 5' 9"
Williams 5' 11" (vs) Atkins 5' 11" and Underwood 6' 0"
Nurse 6' 0" (vs) Sutton 5' 8"
Dangerfield 5' 5" (vs) McCarty 5' 4"

Here are the Texas minutes
37 - Goudreau and Holmes combined
37 - White and Hosey combined
35 - Higgs
26 - Atkins and Sutton - combined
25 - Sutton
40 - McCarty
4 - Underwood

Soooo - UCONN clearly had the height advantage all over the floor.........if, IF - Stevens had been allocated 37 minutes (instead of the actual 20) as one would expect when there existed a perceived height problem.

Why then didn't Stevens get 37 minutes you may ask:
Well, because she is very poor on defense; often lured out of position; can be taken off the dribble; tends to foul.

Hint to the near future:
Look for Walker to suddenly have a great week of practice and start to see significant minutes :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Ah, someone who thinks that Walker will be our Savior. :rolleyes: Well to this point, and for whatever reason(s), she has yet to step up to the plate. But suddenly just because we "need" her, things are going to change for her??? Well, I hope you are right, and I also hope 3 or 4 other "bench" players accept Geno's challenge and step up big time in the next two weeks.

PS. Is one of the moderators and/or admins going to take all the "We need MW" threads and merge them into 1? I could be wrong, but it seems at least one new "MW" thread is beening posted daily.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Really?

How about this
Stevens

35 - Higgs
25 - Sutton
40 - McCarty
4 - Underwood

Soooo - UCONN clearly had the height advantage all over the floor....if, IF - Stevens had been allocated 37 minutes (instead of the actual 20) as one would expect when there existed a perceived height problem.

Well, because she is very poor on defense; often lured out of position; can be taken off the dribble; tends to foul.

Hint to the near future:
Look for Walker to suddenly have a great week of practice and start to see significant minutes :)
Big points, Mick. And I'm pretty confident in your prediction.

Reaction Score
Big Mick: great post. You are our Adolphe Quetelet!

Reaction Score
How about this
Stevens
:)
Size can be height and weight. Clearly Texas has the advantage of weight ...LOL

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Really?

How about this
Stevens

35 - Higgs
25 - Sutton
40 - McCarty
4 - Underwood

Soooo - UCONN clearly had the height advantage all over the floor....if, IF - Stevens had been allocated 37 minutes (instead of the actual 20) as one would expect when there existed a perceived height problem.

Hint to the near future:

I agree with your logic with one exception: size does not always equal height, sometimes it's weight(muscle mass) and strength. We were at times out-muscled in the post, we made up for it at times by out-hustle.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Big Mick: great post. You are our Adolphe Quetelet!
From Wiki:

Adolphe Quetelet
Belgian astronomer
Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet ForMemRS was a Belgian astronomer, mathematician, statistician and sociologist. He founded and directed the Brussels Observatory and was influential in introducing statistical methods to the social sciences.

Astronomer and sociologist. Must've been quite the guy.

Reaction Score
From Wiki:

Adolphe Quetelet
Belgian astronomer
Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet ForMemRS was a Belgian astronomer, mathematician, statistician and sociologist. He founded and directed the Brussels Observatory and was influential in introducing statistical methods to the social sciences.

Astronomer and sociologist. Must've been quite the guy.
He was. The application of statistics--starting especially with the gradual development of insurance tables in 14th C Genoa and then accelerating in 17th C London, was one of the most important contributions to "modernity." Especially when applied by Quetelet, it meant talking about humanity as an aggregate, rather than as individuals. Q. normalized society and discussed "the average man" and this once again decentered the individual from the middle of a divinely-driven universe. It was an important step in viewing society as a whole, rather than a collection of discrete individuals....for better or worse (and that's certainly debatable). One of my favorite reads is the popular book on statistics by the investor, Peter Bernstein: Against the Gods. IIRC, very, very cheap Kindle download.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
He was. The application of statistics--starting especially with the gradual development of insurance tables in 14th C Genoa and then accelerating in 17th C London, was one of the most important contributions to "modernity." Especially when applied by Quetelet, it meant talking about humanity as an aggregate, rather than as individuals. Q. normalized society and discussed "the average man" and this once again decentered the individual from the middle of a divinely-driven universe. It was an important step in viewing society as a whole, rather than a collection of discrete individuals....for better or worse (and that's certainly debatable). One of my favorite reads is the popular book on statistics by the investor, Peter Bernstein: Against the Gods. IIRC, very, very cheap Kindle download.
This society as a whole business has always been interesting to me. I often wonder if I should have been a sociologist. I have a colleague who has a Ph.D. in the field from Indiana Univ. Very passionate about social injustice and gender inequality. On the other hand, I had a professor in grad school that didn't think sociology was a legitimate field of study and would eventually go extinct as an academic discipline. Always found that interesting since his Ph.D. is in Social Psychology.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Ah, someone who thinks that Walker will be our Savior. :rolleyes: Well to this point, and for whatever reason(s), she has yet to step up to the plate. But suddenly just because we "need" her, things are going to change for her??? .......

PS. Is one of the moderators and/or admins going to take all the "We need MW" threads and merge them into 1? I could be wrong, but it seems at least one new "MW" thread is beening posted daily.

Aaaagh @Centerstream, apparently you missed the point...which was the size issue.

In my glimpse of the near future - I wasn't touting Walker to step into this perceived breach. Just that this is Geno's methodology at work. Tear the Freshmen down, down, down and more down. Then, presto in late January it's build back up time where increased minutes are given; and finally; and amazingly we have this missing piece slotting in very nicely, thank you very much. This happens every cycle. And in this cycle, Walker is the one and the build back up process begins to happen in the next week or so.

With regard to bulk being the size issue and not height: In box-out situations on the defensive boards, bulk can be overcome by position and a lowered center of gravity.

Thanks bags27 - I'm truly honored, delighted and I accept the mantle......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom