UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16!

Reaction Score
All you people complaining about the refs - rewatch the game and Nika’s defense on Fair. Nika should have fouled out earlier since she was holding Fair most of the game. And Aaliyah was being just as physical with SU as they were with her.

The refs let them play. It was physical, yes, but neither team was dirty.
Agreed 100%. Nothing wrong with physical, scrappy basketball. I only wish the refs had continued to swallow their whistles in Q4.

Reaction Score
Refs seem to intentionally call against UCONN ?

Can ya'll please stop with the refs??!! They were pretty good. Were there some missed calls, yup! But it went both ways. Stop acting like UCONN wasn't pushing and shoving too. Or that they didn't get away with fouls. Give 'Cuse their props. They played a great game. And pushed Uconn to the limit. And PS.... Nika put herself of the bench with those dumb, not questionable, fouls

Reaction Score
I can't believe both the men and women may be playing on Sat night. The men play Thurs, and if they win, would play on Sat. Both E8 games are on Sat night. For those who only follow the women, this won't matter, but for those of us who follow both teams, it could be a problem.

Reaction Score
I can't believe both the men and women may be playing on Sat night. The men play Thurs, and if they win, would play on Sat. Both E8 games are on Sat night. For those who only follow the women, this won't matter, but for those of us who follow both teams, it could be a problem.
One game on a mobile device/tablet, another game on the TV. Problem solved. :D

Reaction Score
One game on a mobile device/tablet, another game on the TV. Problem solved. :D
Yes, but it's hard to give full attention to 2 games at once, but that's what I may have to do. I certainly don't want to DVR one of the games and watch later after I already know the results.

Reaction Score
Just an advance warning: Joe Vaszily was one of the referees the NCAA selected last year to officiate at the final four. Most of the referees selected for the final four are repeat offenders.
Actually, last year's Final Four was only officiated by women. The NCAA promoted all female officiating crews for the semis & the finals.
It backfired as some referees were not qualified for such a high profile spectacle & the crew had a below average grade in the finals.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Good point! There were several times when Alliyah got a tough defensive rebound, only to have it knocked out of her hands. Her shot was blocked too.
I hope the week long break will help her to regain her dominant style.
I think getting hit twice directly on her broken nose might of had something to do with her game.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Yes, x 100!! That incidental contact has gotta go down in lore as the 'ponytail flop' - Paige barely brushed against her ponytail, and the Syracuse player chewed scenery & flopped as if she'd been hit direct on by a semi. I've seen better acting in professional wresting . . . ;)
And her coach played along, yelling at the ref that she was hit in the face!:mad::eek:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
What? No, it isn’t and it’s not even a close comparison. 30 Straight Sweet 16s is remarkable but 14 straight final fours to survive the gauntlet of the top 8 and 16 teams is infinitely harder than beating the top 32 and 64/68 teams. Go and ask any coach who is proud just to make 1, 2, 3 or 4 final fours in a CAREER never mind 14 in a row. Sheesh….SMH
I could be mistaken but the runner up streak of consecutive Final Fours is 6, and UConn is one of the teams (separately from the 14) that holds it.

Reaction Score
Before saying that Syracuse dominated the rebounding game, you might have checked the box score. Syracuse 36; UConn 37
I like to look at the net rebounds in a game. Not sure if it’s a tracked stat, but this is what I do.

Syracuse missed fga (45) less Uconn defensive rebounds (28) less Uconn offensive rebounds (9) = 8

Uconn missed Fga (28) less Cuse defensive rebounds (19) less Cuse offensive rebounds (17) = -8

Syracuse grabbed 36 rebounds, but in a perfect world would only have had 28, all of UConn’s missed shots for the game. Uconn grabbed 37 rebounds, in that perfect world would have 45.

That swing of 8 rebounds in Syracuses favor is what kept the game close. It’s how Syracuse could shoot only 33% from the floor to UConn’s 51%, but be within a possession. It gave them 11 more shot attempts, because there was a negligible FT or TO margin.

Total rebounds to me doesn’t tell a full story. Uconn had more rebounds, but I think they were handily outplayed on the glass. I’m not worried or upset about it, because it’s just a result of our team makeup from injuries. Just food for thought.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

• Paige was awesome
  • Shade was also awesome
  • KK came through when we needed the big shot
  • Nika player great D for 35 minutes, then 2 dumb fouls almost cost us the game
  • AE struggled against the length of the zone but fought hard
  • ICE, out of respect, I will just say, we need something from her on O
  • That Aussie on the top of their zone really was a pain (for us)
  • Never would have thought SYR would have 13 3s (only 4 by Fair) and only 10 2's
  • I'm not sure about all of the SYR hate in the chat, I thought they played hard
  • This is what a 3-6 matchup looks like
ICE seemed overanxious, wrecked her game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Two of our players playing major minutes did not score. One took two shots?, the other zero (0). While scoring balance is one key, they do contribute in other ways like great defense. I do agree, that with scoring balance, it takes off pressure on other players. At this point in the season and our short roster, there aren't a lot of changes likely.
Against the Syr zone, Paige was able to get inside the foul line for pullups. That was very effective as were Shade's pump fakes and pullups. KK has to develop that part of her game against taller players. These three players are able to get off their shots without a pick which is very hard against a zone. We went with what worked playing against a zone. Another result was that we didn't often drive to the hoop playing against a zone, so few fouls were called. This was not a normal game. We won, great adjustments. On to Duke.
Nika took 2 shots and Ice took 3, everyone else that played scored. So who is the ghost that took 0 shots?

Reaction Score
They won the darn game! I can’t understand the negativity and naysayers talk about Syracuse negativity and who did what wrong for UConn. Syracuse played tough, and without a starter.

Ice was probably very nervous being on that stage and AE was getting banged up. Nika fouled out and they still won. She extended herself so much on defense and it didn’t matter that she didn’t score. They pulled it out, could have had complete collapse like the ND game. They move on. That’s the only thing that matters. Get ready for Saturday! It’s so funny to hear complaints about a win! Go UConn

Reaction Score
Read the first three pages and didn't see any mention of Nika not scoring. Why when we need Nika to score she doesn't take open shots. I was on an airplane and didn't watch the game I will Tuesday Night. I"m sure I will see Nika not looking for her shot as Box Score showed didn't score any points. She's a Senior she should be able to get 8-10 points a game.
It would’ve been nice if she got a few points, but I think her main assignment was to guard Fair. And so, it‘s awesome that KK added those 10 points.
It was a gutsy win, by a depleted team, that has lost so much, but has so much more to give. Also, they learned from the ND game, and that experience helped them last night. I’m elated for them. Go UConn! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Nika had most of the defense assignment on Fair in the first half, Fair only scored 2 points in the first half. Maybe she was exhausted from that assignment, but I believe that at least two of the fouls that were called against Nika should have been called charges on Fair.

Many people have also stated the both Nika and Aaliyah had subpar games. Maybe they were a little anxious/nervous with it being their last game ever at Gampel.
Nika had most of the defense assignment on Fair in the first half, Fair only scored 2 points in the first half. Maybe she was exhausted from that assignment, but I believe that at least two of the fouls that were called against Nika should have been called charges on Fair.

Many people have also stated the both Nika and Aaliyah had subpar games. Maybe they were a little anxious/nervous with it being their last game ever at Gampel.
I believe so too. And maybe this is what Coach Jack was referring to during her post game remarks, when she mentioned Fair‘s ability to get her shot. She throws herself at her defenders, so she gets to the free throw line.

Reaction Score
Whenever ICE had the ball, Syracuse swarmed to her like sharks chasing bait. And she turned it over twice down the stretch. Give credit to Coach Jack for a smart game plan
Against that zone you can't catch the ball in the middle at the free throw line and not know what to do with the ball. The same three people collapsed on Paige all night long but she knew what to do with the ball before she even caught it. In the future I would put Ice where AE is playing and move AE to the decision making position against the zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom