UConn vs South Carolina - Game Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
South Carolina:

Zia Cooke - 30.4 min; 5'9"; Soph; G; 16.2 pts; 4.3 RBs; 2.2 assists; 1.6 3pt
Destanni Henderson - 32.1 min; 5'7"; Jun; G; 11.7 pts; 5.4 RBs; 5.9 Assists; 1.0 3pt
Aliyah Boston - 28.8 min; 6'5"; Soph; F; 13.7 pts; 11.3 RBs; 1.6 Assists; .4 3pts; 2.9 Blocks
Victoria Saxton - 22.3 min; 6'2"; Jun; F; 10.3 pts; 6.3 RBs; .4 Assists; 0 3pts; 1.8 Blocks
Brea Beal - 24.6 min; 6'1"; Soph; G; 8.8 pts; 4.8 RBs; 1.3 Assists; .4 3pts; .5 Blocks

Bench:

Lele Grisset
- 18.1 min; 6'2"; Sen; G; 7.2 pts; 4.8 RBs; 1.0 Assists; .6 Blocks
Laetinia Amihere - 18.8 min; 6'4"; Soph; F; 6.9 pts; 5.4 RBs; 1.1 Assists; .2Blocks

UConn:

Paige Bueckers
- 35.7 min; 5'11"; Fr; G; 20.4 pts; 5.1 RBs; 5.7 Assists; 2.6 3pts.
Nika Muhl - 21.8 min; 5'10"; Fr; G; 4.1 pts; 1.8 RBs; 3.0 Assists; 1.1 3pts.
Christyn Williams - 33.8 min; 5'11"; Jun; G; 16.8 pts; 4.5 RBs; 3.2 Assists; 1.5 3pts.
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - 24.6 min; 6'5"; Jun; F; 13.5 pts; 7.1 RBs; 2.3 Assists; .2 3pts; 1.8 Blocks.
Evina Westbrook - 31.1 min; 6'0"; RJun; G; 11.3 pts; 5.1 RBs; 5.0 Assists; 1.9 3pts; .7 Blocks

Bench:

Aubrey Griffin
- 18.5 min; 6'1"; Soph; F; 8.5 pts; 5.0 RBs; 1.2 Assists; ,2 3pts; .8 Blocks.
Aaliyah Edwards - 18.2 min; 6'3"; Fr; F; 9.5 pts; 4.4 RBs; .5 3pts; .9 Blocks.
Mir McLean - 8.2 min; 5'11"; Fr; F; 3.6 pts; 2.9 RBs; .6 Assists; .4 Blocks

Matchups:

Paige Bueckers vs Zia Cooke - Paige is a stud...she is a stat stuffer...ADVANTAGE UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Destanni Henderson
- Destanni is South Carolina's motor...she is a state stuffer for them...while Nika is playing well and her current stats don't really portray how well she is doing. Additionally, she is a pain on defense...but, I don't think she will be able to get the better of Destanni...ADVANTAGE SOUTH CAROLINA

Olivia Nelson-Ododa vs Aliyah Boston - Hey let's face it Aliyah Boston is a force of nature. Can Olivia hang with her...on a good night I say yes..however, Aliyah is a strong body and I think Olivia gets into foul trouble...and undersized Aaliyah Edwards will have to step in to help out when and if Olivia gets into foul trouble. Between the two of them I think they will be able to keep the scoring close...however, Aliyah Boston will probably dominate other aspects of the game, Rebounding, blocking shots and making life difficult for UConn in the paint. ADVANTAGE SOUTH CAROLINA

Evina Westbrook vs Victoria Saxton - Evina is giving up some size here but I think Evina is more skilled as a player. Evina is a scrapper and has a quick hop I think she not only hangs in their with Victoria on rebounds but I think she out scores her during the game. If Victoria proves to be too much to handle Aubrey Griffin will provide great minutes and offset Victoria's ability to rebound. SLIGHT ADVANTAGE UCONN

Christyn Williams vs Bria Beal - Christyn's speed and quick step to the basket will be somewhat muted by the bigs in the middle. Christyn will need to be able to knock down some threes tonight. She should be able to out play Bria. Hopefully, UConn can get out in transition and be able to get South Carolina back on its heels. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Bench:
ADVANTAGE UCONN

Coaching: Even

Intangibles: At UConn - ADVANTAGE UCONN

Score: UConn - 77 South Carolina - 71

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
X factors IMO are Cooke for SC and Williams/Westbrook for UCONN. Cooke is a dynamic player but takes a lot of shots and they aren't always high quality looks. If UCONN can bait her into some questionable shots, it'll be a big advantage for the Huskies. If she plays within the offense and is shooting above 40%, advantage SC.

For UCONN, they flat out need production from the other guards not named Bueckers. I dont expect a lot of offense from ONO going up against Boston, so guard play is going to be paramount. Westbrook and Williams have been streaky this year, but they need at least one to gave a big scoring night. Whoever isn't guarded by Beale needs to take advantage of a smaller Zia Cooke.

I think it'll be a very competitive game but I see SC winning a close game in the 60s. I put down 69-65 in another thread.

Reaction Score
Rebounding, free throws, and fouls will be crucial in this game. I don’t think either team is a great shooting team(outside of Paige.) South Carolina doesn’t even attempt many outside shots. So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reaction Score
South Carolina:

Destanni Henderson - 32.1 min; 5'7"; Jun; G; 11.7 pts; 5.4 RBs; 5.9 Assists; 1.0 3pt
Aliyah Boston - 28.8 min; 6'5"; Soph; F; 13.7 pts; 11.3 RBs; 1.6 Assists; .4 3pts; 2.9 Blocks
Victoria Saxton - 22.3 min; 6'2"; Jun; F; 10.3 pts; 6.3 RBs; .4 Assists; 0 3pts; 1.8 Blocks
Brea Beal - 24.6 min; 6'1"; Soph; G; 8.8 pts; 4.8 RBs; 1.3 Assists; .4 3pts; .5 Blocks

Bench:

Lele Grisset
Laetinia Amihere - 18.8 min; 6'4"; Soph; F; 6.9 pts; 5.4 RBs; 1.1 Assists; .2Blocks

UConn:

Paige Bueckers
Christyn Williams - 33.8 min; 5'11"; Jun; G; 16.8 pts; 4.5 RBs; 3.2 Assists; 1.5 3pts.
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - 24.6 min; 6'5"; Jun; F; 13.5 pts; 7.1 RBs; 2.3 Assists; .2 3pts; 1.8 Blocks.
Evina Westbrook - 31.1 min; 6'0"; RJun; G; 11.3 pts; 5.1 RBs; 5.0 Assists; 1.9 3pts; .7 Blocks

Bench:

Aubrey Griffin

Matchups:

Paige Bueckers vs Zia Cooke - Paige is a stud...she is a stat stuffer...ADVANTAGE UCONN

- Destanni is South Carolina's motor...she is a state stuffer for them...while Nika is playing well and her current stats don't really portray how well she is doing. Additionally, she is a pain on defense...but, I don't think she will be able to get the better of Destanni...ADVANTAGE SOUTH CAROLINA

Olivia Nelson-Ododa vs Aliyah Boston - Hey let's face it Aliyah Boston is a force of nature. Can Olivia hang with her...on a good night I say yes..however, Aliyah is a strong body and I think Olivia gets into foul trouble...and undersized Aaliyah Edwards will have to step in to help out when and if Olivia gets into foul trouble. Between the two of them I think they will be able to keep the scoring close...however, Aliyah Boston will probably dominate other aspects of the game, Rebounding, blocking shots and making life difficult for UConn in the paint. ADVANTAGE SOUTH CAROLINA

Evina Westbrook vs Victoria Saxton - Evina is giving up some size here but I think Evina is more skilled as a player. Evina is a scrapper and has a quick hop I think she not only hangs in their with Victoria on rebounds but I think she out scores her during the game. If Victoria proves to be too much to handle Aubrey Griffin will provide great minutes and offset Victoria's ability to rebound. SLIGHT ADVANTAGE UCONN

Christyn Williams vs Bria Beal - Christyn's speed and quick step to the basket will be somewhat muted by the bigs in the middle. Christyn will need to be able to knock down some threes tonight. She should be able to out play Bria. Hopefully, UConn can get out in transition and be able to get South Carolina back on its heels. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Bench:
ADVANTAGE UCONN

If we go with the small lineup we will have trouble with them on the boards. The South Carolina backups are big Amihere 6'4" and Grissett 6'2" and can rebound. Whoever matches up against Saxon will have trouble keeping her off the boards. The chess game is the matchups I hope we win.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
South Carolina:

Bench:

Lele Grisset

UConn:

Paige Bueckers

Bench:

Aubrey Griffin

Matchups:

Bench:
ADVANTAGE UCONN

I would argue the only true advantage between the teams is Boston at center. I think you could make an "even" argument the rest of the way. Paige has been really good...but...this is not your average team so the "real deal" label may be true...but maybe not against all competition. I may agree with your bottom line score predictions, but I think your bias is reflected in your match up summation.

Reaction Score
UConn can run with anyone in US. May be a way to reduce the impact of SC's big team. On the other hand, UConn has been very ineffective stopping the top guard on the other team. If Cooke is hot, watch out.

Reaction Score
South Carolina:

Bench:

Lele Grisset

UConn:

Paige Bueckers

Bench:

Aubrey Griffin

Matchups:

Bench:
ADVANTAGE UCONN

Coaching even? Eleven NCs to 1 NC.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just expect the very best from SC and a concerted physical effort to limit Paige. I imagine they are not too happy seeing Paige take over WCBB as a freshman with all the resultant adulation

Reaction Score
If you have watched SC play this season, they play perhaps the fastest tempo of any top 25 team. their transition game is usually a race to the rim, and they have some race horses. Henderson may be the fastest player in Div1 and she isn’t alone in speed, they attack the rim on these transitions. UCONN/Geno may need to counter by having one player lay back a bit to defend the quick strike. This will be an interesting chess match, SC is not nearly as effective out of half court sets, but slowing down their full court drives will be of paramount importance. Beal will be charged with defending PB most of the night, she is a great defender but hasn't defended anyone like her yet, I will be watching that matchup. Arkansas did not have the size to compete in the paint vs SC so they chose to run, that didn’t work out very well for them in a blowout loss. I believe Geno will attempt to slow the game down and turn it into a half court game where UCONN has the advantage out of set plays. Boston’s best skill is her ability to rebound and kick the ball out quickly to running guards....then the race is on. This game will be decided by UCONN’s perimeter shooting percentage and whether SC can keep the pace wide open, hence why I believe Geno will designate one player to always play back far enough to counter a quick strike transition.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Coaching even? Eleven NCs to 1 NC.
Is it the "what have you done for me lately" concept? Who is the better game time coach and why? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking.

Reaction Score
1) How does Paige respond to the best defense she's faced and the increased physicality? Her worst game to date was against TN -- was that a fluke, or did their size cause problems?
2) Can Liv contribute? Can she avoid getting manhandled?
3) How does the rest of the team respond? If there's increased attention on PB, can the rest capitalize? If the middle is clogged, can we score in other ways?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
1) How does Paige respond to the best defense she's faced and the increased physicality? Her worst game to date was against TN -- was that a fluke, or did their size cause problems?
2) Can Liv contribute? Can she avoid getting manhandled?
3) How does the rest of the team respond? If there's increased attention on PB, can the rest capitalize? If the middle is clogged, can we score in other ways?
1) The physicality issue was pretty much resolved at Marquette. Page was blasted a couple times when she crossed mid court and several trips through the paint. I thought she did really good adjusting. To quote Gretzky, "You can't hit what you can't catch." She seemed to be able to slip the crunches pretty good.

3) Paige has been the focus of the defense the last few games and you have seen the number of posts on this forum lauding the increased pick and rolls. Liv and Aaliyah are getting layups and Nika and E are dropping 2 3pt. bombs each. So I think they know what to do.

2) This is so important. If the other 8 starters play their 'A' games and the subs are subs and not stars, if Liv neutralizes Boston, it's a win for the American flag blue. JMO.

Reaction Score

My prediction yesterday was 79-68 SC-they just have more experience than us and frankly, our 3 best players since the Arkansas loss, are freshman. I've never seen ONO or Christyn have games against big teams that can make me trust them(that 28 point game at ND her freshman year doesn't count with Crystal, Lou, and Phee as your teammates). If Christyn shoots more than 3-3's, we are screwed. Furthermore, at some point, Paige has to hit a freshman wall. She just isn't going to be this efficient for her entire career and this might be the game. The SC defense is different than the Tennessee length on defense. They're quick, athletic, and will really harass her and attempt to get her out of rhythm.

Keys for UCONN to pull off an upset:

1. Alliyah Edwards and ONO can play a bulk of minutes together, with Olivia at the high post. She is a good passer from there and it brings Boston out of the lane, which allows our guards to get layups on back door cuts and not have to contend with her defending the rim.

2. We hit 3 and FT's; One has gotten better(3's)....and the other is still bad(FT's)

3. Paige is Paige.

4. On D, which is the most important aspect of this game, we need to limit transition and dribble penetration.

Reaction Score
Another important point will be can Aaliyah Edwards stay out of foul trouble. It'll be hard to match South Carolina on the boards with a four guard lineup, so I think Edwards could be a key to the game.

I'm excited to see what Paige can do against the South Carolina defense. She'll need a better performance than the one against Tennessee if UConn wants to pull this one out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would not have minded getting Piath a little more time. To my uneducated eye, she did not really look out of place when she entered and we could have used a few more fouls and physical play tonight.

Reaction Score
Just expect the very best from SC and a concerted physical effort to limit Paige. I imagine they are not too happy seeing Paige take over WCBB as a freshman with all the resultant adulation
I don't think the players care about Paige's "resultant adulation." The person(s) who Dawn has assigned to defend her might care enough to want to shut her down - as they want to shut down any star. The Gamecock Team in general just want to beat the historically "best" program - not one player. It's SCar v. UConn - not SCar v. Paige just as last year was UConn v, SCar - not UConn v Boston (who was then receiving the freshman "adulation.")

Good luck, may there be not injuries.

Reaction Score
The key worry is the post: South Carolina has arguably the best post in the nation; Connecticut has a big problem. Boston is a bull under the boards; ONO hates playing center. Instead, ONO would prefer to play like a small forward, shooting from the outside and dishing off to others. AE is a natural power forward, not a post player. But she's had to play the post.

The game will be decided underneath.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Some additional thoughts:

Aliyah Boston is a force in the middle...11.3 rebounds per game and 2.9 blocks per game. She only averages 13.5 points per game. How many are put backs as she averages 3.8 offensive rebounds per game? She is not prone to foul trouble as she averages 2.6 fouls per game. Her offensive out put while significant isn't really impossible to overcome. Here is a list of her points in each of her games.

Charleston - 11 points in 22 minutes
South Dakota - 12 points in 28 minutes
North Carolina State - 9 points in 35 minutes
Iowa State - 13 points in 35 minutes
Temple - 14 points in 22 minutes
Florida - 28 points in 36 minutes
Alabama - 5 points in 35 minutes
Kentucky - 20 points in 25 minutes
Vanderbilt - 9 points in 19 minutes
Arkansas - 26 points in 32 minutes
Georgia - 16 points in 31 minutes
LSU - 20 points in 36 minutes
Mississippi State - 6 points 22 minutes
Alabama - 6 points in 32 minutes
Auburn - 14 points in 25 minutes

So, what jumps out at me...is Alabama played South Carolina twice. Boston played 35 minutes in the first game and only scored 5 points. She played 32 minutes in the second and only scored 6 points. What did Alabama do to limit Boston's points? I am sure that Geno and his scouting team have already picked up that.

Alabama started in both games:

Jordan 5'7" G first game scored 28 points / second game scored 19 points / 5 rebounds
Walker 6'3" first game 8 RBs / second game scored 15 points / 5 rebounds
Copeland 6'3" first game 7 RBs / second game 7 RBs
Barber 5'6" first game 5 RBs
Abrams 5'9" first game 4 RBs / second game 5 RBs

Alabama got severely out rebounded 55 to 31 in the first game and 43 to 30 in the second game but they were able to hold Boston and Saxton to a total of 15 rebounds in the first game and 14 rebounds in the second game. They lost both games: by 17 points in the first game and by 24 in the second.

The point of all of this...is that while Boston is a 'tour de force" in the middle and Saxton augments her in the lane...Alabama found the formula to limit Boston's and Saxton's effectiveness. The didn't however stop the rest of South Carolina's weapons. I think UConn is a different team than Alabama...we have players throughout the line up who can score. We are a little better rebounding team than Alabama and we are a better scoring team than Alabama. We limit our opponents to 54.43 points per game...Alabama allows 68.1 points per game. South Carolina has been able to limit their opponents to 58.94 points per game. The SEC is a tougher conference than the Big East so, I don't know exactly what all of that means...but, I feel our coaching staff will come up with a game plan to negate some of South Carolina's dominance in the paint. Stop South Carolina's ability to get out in transition and get our shooters open for good shots. The rest is up to us...we need to knock down shots, make life miserable for them on Defense and I think we win this game by 7 or 8 points.

Reaction Score
I’m so psyched for tonight’s game! I like our chances...... especially if we bring our A game!
Play with tenacity, passion and grit!
Lockdown defense and double-screens for PB!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some additional thoughts:

Aliyah Boston is a force in the middle...11.3 rebounds per game and 2.9 blocks per game. She only averages 13.5 points per game. How many are put backs as she averages 3.8 offensive rebounds per game? She is not prone to foul trouble as she averages 2.6 fouls per game. Her offensive out put while significant isn't really impossible to overcome. Here is a list of her points in each of her games.

Charleston - 11 points in 22 minutes
South Dakota - 12 points in 28 minutes
North Carolina State - 9 points in 35 minutes
Iowa State - 13 points in 35 minutes
Temple - 14 points in 22 minutes
Florida - 28 points in 36 minutes
Alabama - 5 points in 35 minutes
Kentucky - 20 points in 25 minutes
Vanderbilt - 9 points in 19 minutes
Arkansas - 26 points in 32 minutes
Georgia - 16 points in 31 minutes
LSU - 20 points in 36 minutes
Mississippi State - 6 points 22 minutes
Alabama - 6 points in 32 minutes
Auburn - 14 points in 25 minutes

So, what jumps out at me...is Alabama played South Carolina twice. Boston played 35 minutes in the first game and only scored 5 points. She played 32 minutes in the second and only scored 6 points. What did Alabama do to limit Boston's points? I am sure that Geno and his scouting team have already picked up that.

Alabama started in both games:

Jordan 5'7" G first game scored 28 points / second game scored 19 points / 5 rebounds
Walker 6'3" first game 8 RBs / second game scored 15 points / 5 rebounds
Copeland 6'3" first game 7 RBs / second game 7 RBs
Barber 5'6" first game 5 RBs
Abrams 5'9" first game 4 RBs / second game 5 RBs

Alabama got severely out rebounded 55 to 31 in the first game and 43 to 30 in the second game but they were able to hold Boston and Saxton to a total of 15 rebounds in the first game and 14 rebounds in the second game. They lost both games: by 17 points in the first game and by 24 in the second.

The point of all of this...is that while Boston is a 'tour de force" in the middle and Saxton augments her in the lane...Alabama found the formula to limit Boston's and Saxton's effectiveness. The didn't however stop the rest of South Carolina's weapons. I think UConn is a different team than Alabama...we have players throughout the line up who can score. We are a little better rebounding team than Alabama and we are a better scoring team than Alabama. We limit our opponents to 54.43 points per game...Alabama allows 68.1 points per game. South Carolina has been able to limit their opponents to 58.94 points per game. The SEC is a tougher conference than the Big East so, I don't know exactly what all of that means...but, I feel our coaching staff will come up with a game plan to negate some of South Carolina's dominance in the paint. Stop South Carolina's ability to get out in transition and get our shooters open for good shots. The rest is up to us...we need to knock down shots, make life miserable for them on Defense and I think we win this game by 7 or 8 points.
It seems that UConn brings out the best of some players. Chelsea Dungee (Arkansas) went off for 37 points against us, but came back to earth the next game against Auburn with only 16 (5-14/1-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom