UConn vs Providence @ XL - 2/8/17 7:05p/@ Schneider Arena 2/10/17 @ 7:05p - | The Boneyard

UConn vs Providence @ XL - 2/8/17 7:05p/@ Schneider Arena 2/10/17 @ 7:05p -

Reaction Score
I really think we need this one. Last weekend was disappointing in that we were a few seconds from getting Saturday's game.

Reaction Score
updated: no enforcement of parking ban during UConn MHOC game.
But I wouldn't stick around much after the game. Not sure when they'll start writing parking tickets.

Reaction Score
All too familiar with this team. Just doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
Rough game...too many things to miss if I start pointing them out. 2 things stood out to me tonight...lack of offensive depth and Alexander Payusov could have used a redshirt year or been stashed in the USHL he looks like a boy playing amongst men. I agreed with @Jarhead_1775 when he texted me and said the team needs to spend some time in the weight room. They did show some grit in spurts though so although they were few and far between I saw some positives tonight.

Reaction Score
i'll add a few observations

Providence is DAMN DAMN good. I didnt' get to the Yale game but that was about as dominant an effort as we've seen at the XL in a while.
The Friars passing, shooting, skating, fundamentals, etc. - outstanding.

Letunov was DEARLY missed. His playmaking, stickhandling skills were in serious need tonight. Especially on the PP where the Friars completely blitzed the points (If Im remembering correctly Lutonov plays the pt on the PP?)

Anyway we got our ass kicked plain and simple. No two ways around it. Huska played well, can't really fault him tonight.

Reaction Score
What is there about Storrs that makes the men's hockey team like this for decades now?

Reaction Score
@FriarJ team is deep, fast and most importantly plays VERY well together! They have really come together the second half of the season.

Reaction Score
I though the team didn't have it's normal energy level, maybe some of the players who played last night also had a touch of flu-like symptoms.

Reaction Score
What is there about Storrs that makes the men's hockey team like this for decades now?

This is Cavanaugh's fourth year as the UConn men's ice hockey coach, and the third year in Hockey East. It's a giant leap from Atlantic Hockey to Hockey East, a totally different world in college ice hockey. To tell the truth, I'm surprised UConn has done as well as it has in that time. They have beaten several top teams in those four seasons. They weren't doing that sort of thing when they were in Atlantic Hockey. The team has established themselves as a middle of the pack Hockey East team in a relatively short time period. That is progress, despite their maddening continuing tendency drop games to teams like Sacred Heart.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I truly thought this would be a better year...but I guess if two or three of the ties had been wins and we had beaten Sacred Heart and Yale we would all be pretty satisfied right now. We are close. Team speed is definitely an issue.

Reaction Score
10 years ago I'm not sure we would have a hockey team go up to BC and outshoot them like 45-25 or whatever it was.
This conference is crazy. Providence entered the game last night in 5th place and looked like a machine. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

And as I said not having Letunov on the ice was huge. Even when he's not scoring he can just create a lot of space and respect out there. Give Tage credit he did what he could, almost had a couple of sensational plays.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a huge difference in the level of competition. I was talking about consistency or lack of it.

Reaction Score
I don't entirely buy the ahead of schedule argument. Yes it was a big jump but you have to raise expectations and it is really easy to fall back on that as an excuse. This team lost to Sacred Heart and tied AIC. They don't seem able to take the next step for some reason. Assuming Thompson and Latunev and El Mir are all back next year I would expect a big step forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom